Cruising next week- sick of Carnival ship comments

Warmer Climes

We are cruising next week (YAY YAY). Almost every person who knows that we are cruising brings up the Carnival ship problem and ask if we are worried that this will happen to us; tell us how they would NEVER take a cruise; etc etc.

It's getting old. I wondered if any other cruisers are hearing the same thing.

We are cruising next week (YAY YAY). Almost every person who knows that we are cruising brings up the Carnival ship problem and ask if we are worried that this will happen to us; tell us how they would NEVER take a cruise; etc etc.

We are on the same cruise s you are. We were supposed to cruise on Feb 10 but we all know how that went. So many people at my work are saying don't you consider that a sign. They say I would never go on a cruise. Well if there was an accident on 495 would you never drive on that road again. Just crazy talk. Can't wait to cruise!

Try to ignore the negative comments. Most times the people making these comments are jealous they are not going on a fabulous vacation. Someone mentioned the other day that they would rather suffer an engine fire on a cruise ship that on an airplane. I think I would too. Enjoy your cruise!

Go, have a fabulous time, and flaunt your wonderful tropical vacation photos in their faces when you return!

Honestly, I don't worry about what other people say. I wouldn't live like most of them do either, but I don't feel the need to tell them that.

Ignore and enjoy :)

Try to ignore the negative comments. Most times the people making these comments are jealous they are not going on a fabulous vacation. Someone mentioned the other day that they would rather suffer an engine fire on a cruise ship that on an airplane. I think I would too. Enjoy your cruise!

Like :)

And one other gripe: you would not believe the vast pool of armchair cruise ship captain talent there is out there! Most of the people who bring up the situation with the Carnival ship know EXACTLY what should have been/should be done. While they have never set foot on a cruise ship, by God they would have handled the problems with 100% success.

And one other gripe: you would not believe the vast pool of armchair cruise ship captain talent there is out there! Most of the people who bring up the situation with the Carnival ship know EXACTLY what should have been/should be done. While they have never set foot on a cruise ship, by God they would have handled the problems with 100% success.

The captains have to deal with the ship, its equipment and the crew as provided by the cruise line. The cruise lines, however might need to re-think their operating model:

Ship design might be improved so that a fire in one engine room would not entirely cripple the electricity supply. The operating equipment itself might need upgrading to minimize failure: fires do not just happen - they happen to sub-standard equipment, or to equipment which is improperly maintained or improperly operated.

Redundancy, suffificent back-up generating capacity in different locations, with redundant transmission system and the ability to completely cut off the damaged section would minimize disruption.

Staffing and training might need improving. If the fire was not the result of sub-standard equipment, then it happened because of improper maintenance or operation.

Damage control training might need improvement - could the fire have been contained/extinguished before so much damage was done? Could a better trained crew riggedback-up power distribution from auxiliary generating capability --- if that auxiliary capability was even present?

The fact that this sort of problem occurs - more than once - indicates that preventive measures might need to be put in place, and that ships' crews might need beefing up and better training.

I cruise frequently, and will continue to do so; but I feel it might be necessary for the cruise lines to invest more in equipment, staffing and training. I am frankly amused by the absurd fact that singers and dancers participate in cunducting the emergency drills -- and find that the unacceptable conduct of officers and crew during the Costa Concordia abandonment, for example, was only to be expected given the cruise lines' cost savings in staffing and training --- top to bottom.

The recent Thomson life boat tragedy will certainly be shown as being the result of either improper maintenance of equipment or insufficient training of crew.

Yes, "ship happens", but it happens for a reason -- and some of the "ship" that happens should not be permitted to happen.

Yes - of course upgraded equipment, increased staffing and better training would increase fares -- but how much scrimping on such matters is acceptable?

We had that happen to us last year after the Costa Concordia accident. Our cruise was 6 months after it happened, and people still made comments about it. Just ignore them and have a good time! :D

We left the week after the Concordia......Just another excuse many used not to go on a cruise.

We don't endure long flights and all the chaos of leaving for a cruise because

(enter excuse here)

We gave up "selling" cruising to friends and just say ohhh well, your loss

Per an above post, many want to go but their priorities are elsewhere, excuses are easier

Maybe they have a point?

We've been on over 90 cruises, have always felt very safe, thankfully have never endured anything approaching awful but I am getting a little queasy about these repetitive events.

Why don't these ships have better/bigger generators?

Why can't they be equipped to handle these sorts of loss of power to at least provide power for toilets?

In these days of economy and cut backs, are the ships being maintained well? Are the putting too many band aids?

I don't think these are ridiculous questions and, therefore, do not totally dismiss the comments made by 'outsiders' to the joys of cruising.

Maybe there is a bit of wisdom in their words?

Maybe they have a point?

We've been on over 90 cruises, have always felt very safe, thankfully have never endured anything approaching awful but I am getting a little queasy about these repetitive events.

Why don't these ships have better/bigger generators?

Why can't they be equipped to handle these sorts of loss of power to at least provide power for toilets?

In these days of economy and cut backs, are the ships being maintained well? Are the putting too many band aids?

I don't think these are ridiculous questions and, therefore, do not totally dismiss the comments made by 'outsiders' to the joys of cruising.

Maybe there is a bit of wisdom in their words?

I think they are important, valid questions, and ones which all the cruise lines do/will be considering in the coming weeks and months.

One thing does occur to me is that - and please, correct me if I am wrong or have missed something - but the most recent incidents of this sort (loosing engines, adrift) have been on Carnival ships*. I do wonder if there are larger design and/or maintenance issues that need addressing.

That said, I think for every one person expressing valid concerns, there are probably 4 or 5 with knee-jerk reactions without any basis of knowledge.

*I am discounting the Thomson Majesty incident, as that was an entirely different event (a cable snapping rather than an engine fire/failure).

Check this out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788318 I realize this is RCL, so it is, in many ways, comparing apples and oranges. But I am sure what Robyn posts and her pics to follow will "light your fire" for cruising! No pun intended :rolleyes: You might be able see a few days of her posts before you sail.

Focus on the good. If we believed everything people say, we would be living in Montana, raising goats, growing Christmas trees, eating berries and building bunkers.

~Bob~

I think they are important, valid questions, and ones which all the cruise lines do/will be considering in the coming weeks and months.

One thing does occur to me is that - and please, correct me if I am wrong or have missed something - but the most recent incidents of this sort (loosing engines, adrift) have been on Carnival ships*. I do wonder if there are larger design and/or maintenance issues that need addressing.

That said, I think for every one person expressing valid concerns, there are probably 4 or 5 with knee-jerk reactions without any basis of knowledge.

*I am discounting the Thomson Majesty incident, as that was an entirely different event (a cable snapping rather than an engine fire/failure).

Why discount the Thomson Majesty incident? Cables do not just snap. They snap because:

a) They are not sufficient to carry the load put on them.

b) They are improperly installed.

c) They are improperly maintained, or

d) They are improperly used.

At bottom, it appears that the same root problem exists. Cruise lines are not equipping and/or manning their vessels adequately.

Funny but, the people who most often made similar statement to me after Concordia are generally negative people to start. I would not want them on a cruise with me any way.

I also try to put into perspective the fact that Carnival corp and all their cruise brands are by far the largest in the cruise industry and statistically would have more incidents than others. That said, the Triumph having a Splendor event only 2.5 years after is too close. Could be the non-stop use of the engines and generators between dry docks. Maybe a good idea to increase the preventative maintenance by dropping one full day each year or maybe every 6 months to conduct a comprehensive preventative maintenance service. It would probably do the equipment some good to have one full day out of service for fresh lubrication and inspection. Losing one day of revenue is likely far less costly than making accomodations and refunds etc for a ship full of guests.

That said, been cruising since 1977 almost one per year average and have never been on a ship with issues. Would not think twice about sailing on the Triumph on her first trip after repairs.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I haven't researched but will if no one know off the top of their head........

Do you know where the two Carnival ships with these incidents and where Costa Concordia were built?

All from the same boat yard?

Did they come from Fincantieri?

Triumph was built in Fincantieri. As were the Splendor and Concordia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Triumph

She was the she seized in Galveston as part of a Concordia lawsuit.

Splendor's hull was originally built for Costa, as a sister ship to the Concordia.

The Concordia had the misfortune of a bad captain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

Triumph was built in Fincantieri. As were the Splendor and Concordia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Triumph

She was the she seized in Galveston as part of a Concordia lawsuit.

Splendor's hull was originally built for Costa, as a sister ship to the Concordia.

The Concordia had the misfortune of a bad captain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

Thank you, SadieN.

Somehow I suspected that was the case.

I am just tired of hearing about it from uninformed idiots, period! That goes for online posters, news people writing stories about stuff that they absolutley could not have verified the facts on, and the ones that aggravate me the most.....the "experts" who have never been on a ship in their life.

Unfortunately, the frenzy is not even started yet, wait until the ship docks and the news media, talk shows, and lawyers get rolling; not to mention the asses posting all kinds of stupid stuff on u tube as they seek their 15 minutes of fame.

Check this out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788318

Focus on the good. If we believed everything people say, we would be living in Montana, raising goats, growing Christmas trees, eating berries and building bunkers.

~Bob~

Well, Bob, if we were like the gloomy Gusses we would be worried about goat toxemia is and Christmas tree disease and bunker flu.

On the morning I leave for my cruise I could fall when I get out of the tub; trip going down the stairs; wreck the car on the way to the airport; die in a plane crash. All these things are more likely than disaster on a cruise.

I'm tired of the comments too. I will continue to cruise. I'm not sure I would feel the same way if I experience what those cruisers have.

I will do a few things differently though on my next cruise. I will bring extra meds. Usually just bring enough for the length of the cruise. I will also bring non perishable food such as boxes of granola bars and water if I can get it on board.

Archived