Driving in Florida? Canadians need an international permit

GrinTo

I leave for Florida and my Princess cruise tomorrow and was surprised by this today. I Have a car rented for a post cruise South Beach/Miami vacation.

State authorities are looking to exempt English-language licences from the new law, but it won’t be in time for March break.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/14/florida_now_requires_canadian_drivers_carry_an_international_driving_permit.html

I also saw this on the news this morning... sheesh... The Gov't is trying to get the US to recognize Canadian driver's licenses. Apparently if you get stopped you can be charged with driving without a license. Geez... I can see it becoming an issue with the rental companies but wow, thanks for the heads up.

For a whopping $25 you can pick up what is required at any CAA office. *rolls eyes*

I leave for Florida and my Princess cruise tomorrow and was surprised by this today. I Have a car rented for a post cruise South Beach/Miami vacation.

State authorities are looking to exempt English-language licences from the new law, but it won’t be in time for March break.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/14/florida_now_requires_canadian_drivers_carry_an_international_driving_permit.html

Does this apply if you live in Britain?

From what I have read Florida had intended to exempt Canadians, acknowledge that they forgot to do so and will making an amendment to the law soon. In the meantime law enforcement agencies will not be enforcing the law with respect to Canadians.

So i'm reading reports of car rental agencies refusing to rent to people without a IDP (now that this has hit the media). This effects any International traveler and those already in the state.

It amazes me that they would not have looked into this before passing the law.

I called my rental Company (Dollar) and they said just DL and Passport. But i'll drive very cautiously.

I would encourage anyone else leaving Very soon to check with their rental company.

PS: Happy Valentines day Eh ;-)

Another way to suck $$$ out of tourists.

Not that they don't make enough on rental car taxes already. :rolleyes:

Actually you don't purchase the international permit in FL, you have to purchase where your license is from. For any Snowbirds the requirement is to obtain one through the mail. My initial thought was that it was a money grab, but the explanation I saw in the news was that the police have trouble deciphering foreign drivers licenses. I really hope that the law is amended soon. It makes me think twice about FL for a long weekend away just due to the hassle.

Just in from CFRB radio:

#BREAKING No Need For Special Driving Permits

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/14/2013 2:25:00 PM

You can breathe a sigh of relief.

If you're heading to Florida, you don't need one of those International Driving Permits.

News broke on Thursday morning, that any driver who wanted to motor around the Sunshine State would need the special permits, sold in Canada only at CAA.

Lineups at outlets in Toronto stretched as long as two hours just to file the papers.

Early Thursday afternoon the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles sent an email:

During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department's attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit.

Archived