Anyone fly Spirit Airlines?

pbsteve

Spirit air seems to have the best rate, around 600 round trip for two for my cruise in September, arriving 945am the morning of (can't fly the day before, as we are getting married the day before). So far, it's by far the best price, and although they charge for carry-on's, its total with luggage is still cheaper. Just wondering if anyone else flys spirit, or has, and what kinds of things to expect beyond the usualy. IE are they always late, etc.

sorry, Ohare to Fort Lauderdale direct flight at 5:30AM Sept 29th. It actually seems to be the perfect flight for us, first one out in the morning, and direct, so there's no layovers. If it was the same flight on say Jet Blue, I'd book it without thinking twice.

Expect an uncomfortable ride. You're aware of the extra costs and have factored that in, so that's good.

Spirit is what it is. Ultra low cost, and generally a poor experience. But it usually gets you there nonetheless.

And just to clarify - it is not direct, it's nonstop.

Well.. Reading reviews, I don't think that this is how my fiance will want to start a honeymoon, So I have a different question.

United offers two flights in, a direct (I don't like the 'non-stop' because it damn well better stop when we get there:D).that arrives at 1250, and one with a layover at cleavland that arrives at 1150. Carnival said the latest a flight in should be is 2pm... Anyone fly in this late in the day... I'm just worried about having to rush more than nessisary.

United offers two flights in, a direct (I don't like the 'non-stop' because it damn well better stop when we get there:D).
Ha Ha.

Just know that "direct" and "non-stop" have separate and different meanings in the airline world.

If you don't care about that, and don't care about what that might do to your travel experience, then so be it.

Ha Ha.

Just know that "direct" and "non-stop" have separate and different meanings in the airline world.

If you don't care about that, and don't care about what that might do to your travel experience, then so be it.

Very true, but if pilots start listening to me making my nonstop a direct... theres far more issues and game over.

Very true, but if pilots start listening to me making my nonstop a direct... theres far more issues and game over.

If you insist on using the term 'direct' when you meant 'nonstop', one day an airline will book exactly what you requested. And you will be in for a very rude surprise. There are flights (especially on Southwest) that are direct from A to B...and make 5-7 stops in between. I was knowingly on a direct AA flight from LAX-LHR that involved a change of planes and gates at JFK. United does this on many flights that are a domestic and international segment with the same flight number.

I fly over a 100k miles a year and pilots don't "listen to me".

Glad that you're that significant. And from the authoritative tone you keep taking, you really don't need our answers anyhow.

You are right. Cheapest is always best. Enjoy your flight! Over and out.

Glad that you're that significant. And from the authoritative tone you keep taking, you really don't need our answers anyhow.

:D

The correct way to end a radio transmission is to simply say out. Over means your transmission is done and you are awaiting a response. Over and out doesn't make sense.

Almost as confusing as the meaning of direct and nonstop flights or using 's to make a word plural, i.e. carry-on's [sic], or not understanding the proper plural form of a word, such as using flys for flies. ;)

I tried Spirit once and will never again! The extra fees didn't put me off - I expected them. What upset me was the condition of the plane. It was FILTHY! It looked like it hadn't been wiped down or vaccuumed in a at least a week! There were crumbs and candy/gum wrappers on the floor. The table top was dirty and sticky. Staff were oblivious to the filth. Thank goodness I travel with wipes/sanitizer.

The same conditions were found on outgoing and return flights (DTW/LAS).

Spirit - NEVER AGAIN!

My apologies, I was simply trying to be funny, Did not mean to offend.

I flew Spirit once (not my choice-booked by my company at the time) and will never fly them again. The armrest was held on with duct tape at my seat, the plane was dirty, very tight seat pitch, etc.

What having no interline agreements (mentioned earlier) means is that, if there is a mechanical issue or something else within the airlines' control that will cause significant delays, they cannot put you on any other airline to get you where you are going. You are at their mercy to get you where you are going on them--and only on them. I have had interline agreements save me several times over the last few years. When a mechanical issue caused a delay that would get me to my destination quite a bit late, US Airways put me on Delta or United flights to get me where I was going closer to on time. Many people overlook this when booking, but it can be significant.

Have you looked at Southwest out of Midway. I am not a big Southwest fan by any means & they don't have interline agreements either, but I'd feel more comfortable with them than Spirit.

Have you looked at Southwest out of Midway. I am not a big Southwest fan by any means & they don't have interline agreements either, but I'd feel more comfortable with them than Spirit.

Southwest employee culture is to help customers, while Spirit is the exact opposite. They focus on saving money by not providing customer service, almost as a matter of pride. Also, Southwest has quite a few flights and alternative routings if something goes wrong. Spirit has many routes with one flight every 2-3 days and the next available flight may be days later.

At least there are other airlines that fly Chicago-Miami/FLL if a last-minute ticket has to be purchased as a last resort due to a problem on Spirit. Some Spirit flights use airports with no other airline service, and the alternate is several hours' drive.

I flew Spirit once (not my choice-booked by my company at the time) and will never fly them again. The armrest was held on with duct tape at my seat, the plane was dirty, very tight seat pitch, etc.

What having no interline agreements (mentioned earlier) means is that, if there is a mechanical issue or something else within the airlines' control that will cause significant delays, they cannot put you on any other airline to get you where you are going. You are at their mercy to get you where you are going on them--and only on them. I have had interline agreements save me several times over the last few years. When a mechanical issue caused a delay that would get me to my destination quite a bit late, US Airways put me on Delta or United flights to get me where I was going closer to on time. Many people overlook this when booking, but it can be significant.

Thanks! I've looked at southwest and will probably fly them out of midway or Milwaukee, midway is actually a bit mor of a hassle for me. Unfortunatly , southwest only has through sept 27, I cruise sept 29-Oct 5.

Thanks! I've looked at southwest and will probably fly them out of midway or Milwaukee, midway is actually a bit mor of a hassle for me. Unfortunatly , southwest only has through sept 27, I cruise sept 29-Oct 5.

Good choice. I would certainly pick Southwest over Spirit.

If you insist on using the term 'direct' when you meant 'nonstop', one day an airline will book exactly what you requested. And you will be in for a very rude surprise. There are flights (especially on Southwest) that are direct from A to B...and make 5-7 stops in between. I was knowingly on a direct AA flight from LAX-LHR that involved a change of planes and gates at JFK. United does this on many flights that are a domestic and international segment with the same flight number.

This. Toronto to Saskatoon. YYZ/YWG/YQR/YXE

Total travel time was about eight hours--same plane. Had it been non-stop it would have taken 3 1/2. I was ready to strangle the corporate travel agent. By the way--the trip started ALB/SYR/BUF/YYZ, also as a "direct" flight. What a freaking miserable day that was. What should have been a seven hour trip took over 16.

Very good choice not to use Spirit. I just finished a post warning others about their sneaky 40 pound bag weight limit. We were hit with an extra $50 bucks in surprise fees.

I assume you booked online. I would not call it "sneaky 40 pound bag weight limit" at all. Right at the top of the page where it mentions "checked bags" it clearly states the dimensions and maximum weight. You MUST see this page before checking out and before you state the number of bags you want to check or carry on. I would consider it not reading thoroughly on the part of the person making the reservation. Airlines do a lot wrong, but when they clearly state their policy online and people are in such a hurry to click through and not read, it is their own fault and certainly not that of the airline.

I assume you booked online. I would not call it "sneaky 40 pound bag weight limit" at all. Right at the top of the page where it mentions "checked bags" it clearly states the dimensions and maximum weight. You MUST see this page before checking out and before you state the number of bags you want to check or carry on. I would consider it not reading thoroughly on the part of the person making the reservation. Airlines do a lot wrong, but when they clearly state their policy online and people are in such a hurry to click through and not read, it is their own fault and certainly not that of the airline.

You must be the trainer for the Spirit check-in desk - your tone is so much like them. You make an interesting observation, since in the same morning I talked to 2 couples and observed one other person who all missed the 40 pound limited that "You MUST see this page before checking out and before you state the number of bags you want to check or carry on." I guess many people are not as sharp as you, so the "onus" is on them. It appears to bother you that I am pointing this issue out, since so many of us are missing this. You even followed to my other post and made the same comment. Why is that?

You must be the trainer for the Spirit check-in desk - your tone is so much like them. You make an interesting observation, since in the same morning I talked to 2 couples and observed one other person who all missed the 40 pound limited that "You MUST see this page before checking out and before you state the number of bags you want to check or carry on." I guess many people are not as sharp as you, so the "onus" is on them. It appears to bother you that I am pointing this issue out, since so many of us are missing this. You even followed to my other post and made the same comment. Why is that?

I am bothered by people who try to blame others for their own mistakes. So many people like to make their own bookings online. Fine for them. But they glaze over important information then complain (um, just like you :D ). I want people to be sure they READ what they are committing to. Read web pages, READ terms and conditions, READ cancellation fees. Be informed consumers. So I posted on both your threads as a follow up, just like you posted your same post on two different threads.

No need to follow through to the end and make a booking - just 'make believe' you are making a booking and anyone can clearly see it before they have to enter credit card info.

I flew Spirit recently, but was careful to know exactly what I was buying. I knew the luggage limits, I knew the charges if I waited until the airport to pay for luggage, I knew the charges if I waited until the airport to print my boarding pass, etc. Therefore I knew what to expect, had a very cheap last-minute trip and came away with a more positive experience than most. Would I fly them again? Probably only if the price was right, but I can't fault them for clearly stating their size and weight limits for checked luggage, then say that it was the airline's fault just because multiple people failed to read their website. Did you poll all the others on the plane to see what percentage might have indeed read the website and came to the airport prepared with luggage weighing 40 pounds or less?

I will avoid businesses like Spirit. There business model is much like the "shop supplies" charge when you get your car fixed or the "recycling fee" when you get the oil changed - start out cheap then add away.

Charge what you need up front and be done with it. People travel with luggage - its part of moving your a$$ from one place to the next.

Now I realize Spirit is not the only airline that does it - it's a low point for the entire indusrty. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but the industry is taxed at a different rate (lower) for "add ons" (aka luggage fees) than on the base airfare - thus the move to charging for all the extras. So thank the government for the state of the industry.

Regardless, I don't fit in 28" seat pitch so that rules out Spirit.

Happy Travels !

JK

Archived