A Muster Drill Dodger...Sailing with some Newbies. What should I do?

OptionAnon

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink...

If complying with maritime rule is the objective and the card scanning is the method of control can anyone really say that the thousands of passengers will behave in the instructed manner? How many Costa passengers collected their life vest and did not put it on and did not drag the straps down the hall and proceeded to a muster station? I will attend the muster drill and I will have my cruise card zapped but not for a moment do I believe the instructions are realistic or effective.

If you're concerned about claustrophobia during the muster drill, my advice is to show up LAST. They never start the muster on time, because it takes a while for everyone to file into the venue. Get there 15 minutes after they sound the 7 pings. You'll be last in-first out.

We tried that in January on our cruise on the Crown. Didn't work for us. They were loading the theater from the back. A real bummer. :(

It seems you have some options:

1. Board late, attend late muster with the smaller group. Just don't board TOO late or you might not get on.

2. Board early, eat in dining room so muster is the first serious crowd your companion sees.

3. Go to muster early, get a good seat and relax. You are on vacation.

4. Choose a vacation where fewer people are around. Cruising is not a solitary existence kind of vacation.

Skipping muster is not an option. You can't hide anymore, they scan cards now as others have said. There are new regulations they must comply with. So, you will be mustered or disembarked. I suppose that is actually option #5 :rolleyes:

I would say, skip the buffet, dine in the MDR (or whichever is open) when you board. Take some time to locate your muster location..... inside or at the lifeboats.... Other posters correct, your entire party should know how to get to muster by themselves. Aunt can always move to a location where she feels less crowded. Picture posted of sitting around tables won't be an different than MDR. Have a great trip.

I cannot imagine ever encouraging anyone to not attend the muster drill let alone those who have never cruised. I have been on 24 cruises and I always go to muster and usually pick up a tip that I have never heard of before. If you think muster drill is crowded what if there was a true emergency? Part of the purpose is to realize that in case of an emergency we are expected to follow orders from the crew. IMHO one never knows it all.

Don't be surprised if they actually feel more comfortable going to the muster station. Especially in light of this week's Triumph news, I'm sure they'll sleep easier knowing what to do in the event of a real emergency.

Is the card scanning at muster stations something that's exclusive to Princess or are all lines doing that now? I am going on another Royal Caribbean cruise next week but my first since 2009 and they didn't do that on any of the 8 I've been on.

Celebrity had the most civilized Muster drill with lounge seating and no life jackets. HAL has also abandoned bringing the life vests to Muster. We, too have been on several cruises but would never think of missing the drill.

Don't be surprised if they actually feel more comfortable going to the muster station. Especially in light of this week's Triumph news, I'm sure they'll sleep easier knowing what to do in the event of a real emergency.

Is the card scanning at muster stations something that's exclusive to Princess or are all lines doing that now? I am going on another Royal Caribbean cruise next week but my first since 2009 and they didn't do that on any of the 8 I've been on.

Since the Concordia disaster it is a strongly enforced maritime law that EVERYONE attend the muster drill. You will be carded and if anyone fails to show they can and will be removed from the ship.

Celebrity had the most civilized Muster drill with lounge seating and no life jackets. HAL has also abandoned bringing the life vests to Muster. We, too have been on several cruises but would never think of missing the drill.

There is no reason to bring it as they show you how to use it but on Princess you do have to bring it. You do go to a lounge. And now besides checking every cabin and putting a card in the lock that shows it has been checked empty on Princess they scan the cruise cards with hand scanners at the muster station.

I totally get it...but after HAL disembarked guests for not attending and since they take attendence, I wouldn't think of skipping. It's not that big a deal and as an Elite you should know how to work it - sit in the back, break for the door as soon as it's done...take a drink with you. I actually go a couple minutes before the alarm so I can take an elevator and avoid some of the craziness.

I never said I would not attend a muster drill.

I saw in a recent Patter that they offered a LATE one and was curious if it was an option.

Finger-waggers: Please have a cocktail.

But...thank you for the thoughtful and relevant replies.

Well, you title the thread, a muster drill dodger...

Glad to hear that the OP is such an expert and just as well versed as the Capt and crew. My experience in life has taught me that those who think themselves "experts" almost always end up being the biggest problems when they actually need to exercise their "expert" knowledge. The muster isn't just about how to put on the lifejacket. The main purpose, as I see it, is to familiarize each passenger as to where their muster station is, to allow them to experience how the guides work, and how things work should they be forced to muster in an actual emergency.

Hi All

One thing that muster shows us is how to move about the ship, with thousands of other folks, along crowded halls where you can not go against the flow, or up stairs were you can not work out what deck you are on,

now just think how folks would react if in the middle of the night the alarm went off.

yours Shogun

Ok, I am wierd. I like the muster drills. I am on vacation and it is fun. Once the captain gave a 5 minute lecture on proper use of the commodes. And with the life jackets its always one of the first pictures in the photo album.

Thanks for the info and phots. I thought it was strange to not bring them!

Pretaining to the above quote: "I thought it was strange to not bring them!".....I have just completed a CCL cruise...and were not required to bring the life jacket to the muster drill (inside in a lounge) either. Thought that was sort of weird, but since I have cruised with other cruise lines...I know some do not require you to put them on during the drill.

No matter how many times we have and will cruise...I am all TOOOOOOOOO happy to be required to attend the muster drill. No matter how many times I go through the drill...possibly on a cruise...it REALLY might save my life. So I am all to happy to attend them.

You might try reassuring your companions that they probably will not feel crowded while at the drill. I don’t like crowds either but have never felt crowded or claustrophobic. We usually go early to get a seat with a good view. It’s really just a few minutes out of your vacation. Hope you all have a wonderful cruise..

Having cruised many times, gone to Muster many times, and been on a ship that required a second muster in the middle of a 28-day cruise, and the day after the 2nd Muster the alarm went off at 2am, I can attest that NO ONE should EVER skip Muster. People were running around asking what to do, some ran outside with their PJs and life jacket right to the life boats... and these were experienced cruisers.

As most of us know the muster presentation is done in one of the interior venues aboard the ship. The room is crowded and usually not everyone gets a seat. There are but two or three exits from the room? If in the assembly of an actual emergency muster there is a need to or a command to take to the lifeboats can you imagine what would happen in that room. We have all heard about crowd reactions to fires in nightclubs and that is probably what would transpire. I do not profess to have the answers to a safe and orderly muster but surely what is now taking place does not prepare us for any possible panic. The emphasis is more on attendance than on methods of crowd control.

I for one am glad that we take the life jackets to muster and try them. I found that mine was broken (the clip would not fasten), and should I have actually needed it in a real emergency, it would have been pretty useless!

I found it annoying that no one had reported it before so it could have been changed for one that did work properly, unless of course previous cabin occupants didn't bother to go to muster and try on the life jacket!

Archived