A Muster Drill Dodger...Sailing with some Newbies. What should I do?

OptionAnon

First of all...I'm as knowledgable as anyone can be on muster procedures...I've been on over 25 Princess cruises and I could give a muster drill presentation in my sleep. However...my next cruise will be a bit different. I have often sailed with one adult who may have been new to cruising, and during muster I would usually just stay in our room. I would, quite literally, during the time the drill was happening, retrieve the life preservers and I'd explain to my new adult travel-mate how they worked, where we should go in case there's an emergency, etc.

This time, however, I'll be cruising with two teenage boys and their aunt.

Not to bore you with too many details, one of the reasons the aunt is resistant to cruising is...the crowds. Well, anyone who has cruised before knows this...the first crowd we see is at the buffet...and the NEXT crowd we see is at muster.

So...

Here is my very specific question (which, by the way, is NOT about the "importance of the muster drill"...I'm good there) I saw in a recent Princess Patter that an hour or so after departure, they offer a "Late Muster Drill for Late Arrivals". Well, I kinda love that...if we could go to, for example, the Explorers Lounge, with maybe 50 other people, as opposed to the hundreds in the Princess Theatre...that would give them (and the crowd-phobic aunt) a bit of relief from the crowds.

I still feel as though I could properly explain the muster situation on my own...but, since there are now minors involved, I feel more of a responsibility to do the right thing.

So...is this "Late Muster" presentation a new standard on all ships? I don't remember ever seeing it before. But, when you're travelling with someone who's already a little freaked about the possibility of something going wrong, you hate to make one of your first stops a place where there will be 800 people with orange life-vests around their necks looking confused.

First of all...I'm as knowledgable as anyone can be on muster procedures...I've been on over 25 Princess cruises and I could give a muster drill presentation in my sleep. However...my next cruise will be a bit different. I have often sailed with one adult who may have been new to cruising, and during muster I would usually just stay in our room. I would, quite literally, during the time the drill was happening, retrieve the life preservers and I'd explain to my new adult travel-mate how they worked, where we should go in case there's an emergency, etc.

This time, however, I'll be cruising with two teenage boys and their aunt.

Not to bore you with too many details, one of the reasons the aunt is resistant to cruising is...the crowds. Well, anyone who has cruised before knows this...the first crowd we see is at the buffet...and the NEXT crowd we see is at muster.

So...

Here is my very specific question (which, by the way, is NOT about the "importance of the muster drill"...I'm good there) I saw in a recent Princess Patter that an hour or so after departure, they offer a "Late Muster Drill for Late Arrivals". Well, I kinda love that...if we could go to, for example, the Explorers Lounge, with maybe 50 other people, as opposed to the hundreds in the Princess Theatre...that would give them (and the crowd-phobic aunt) a bit of relief from the crowds.

I still feel as though I could properly explain the muster situation on my own...but, since there are now minors involved, I feel more of a responsibility to do the right thing.

So...is this "Late Muster" presentation a new standard on all ships? I don't remember ever seeing it before. But, when you're travelling with someone who's already a little freaked about the possibility of something going wrong, you hate to make one of your first stops a place where there will be 800 people with orange life-vests around their necks looking confused.

Hi

Not sure how long it has been since your last cruise, but I think dodging the muster is not so easy now as every passenger's cruise card is scanned upon entry to the muster station. I assume those who dont front get rounded up, and flogged :D. This has occurred on every cruise we have taken since the damning report on Costa Concordia procedures. Sorry do not know the answer to your specific question on late muster...Steve.

As you know, muster drill is extremely important, especially for first time cruisers.

Have you been to the drill since they changed it? if not then you don't know what the current setup is, the changes to the announcements, and the the fact that they now seem to scan all cards.

The 'right thing to do' would be to explain to them in full and before hand exactly what to expect, participate in the 'Muster Drill' exactly as they are supposed to in accordance with Princess Cruises directives, in the appropriate station they are assigned, and to know what is going on in case a real emergency occurs.

The purpose of the 'Muster Drill' isn't to make them feel comfortable.

Cruise cards are scanned at every muster station, and all cabins are checked and tagged on the door as 'empty'.

You will be found and need to go to the muster.

The late muster is precisely that - for those passengers not on board at the time of the first planned drill.

Failure to comply will result in you and your friends being put off the ship - rightly so.

Go early, get a seat.

This is for the safety of all on board - including you.

You risk being put ashore.

They know when you boarded.

Your companion and children will know you ignore rules.

You will have no recourse and no refund as you will be in breach of contract.

Interesting conundrum. :confused:

I too have been on a lot of cruises and can also recite the muster drill in my head, but I still go to the drills. I hate them, but I go.

So my advice is, just go. Yes it is crowded, but if there is a problem at sea, the lifeboats will also be crowded. Your friends need to buck up and accept the reality that sometimes in life there are crowds. They will see them when they board, they will see them at muster and they will see them when they disembark. Other than that they are pretty easy to avoid. Just don't go where everybody else goes on the cruise, but go to the muster. Their lives may depend on it. :p

It's very simple. Go early. Leave 15 to 20 minutes early, take your life vests and find the lounge you are suppose to sit in. After it's over just wait in the lounge till the crowds thin out. New proceedures could put you off the ship and they do scan cards now. There is no certainty that they will have a second muster drill and I'm sure you don't expect them to have one just for you.

Hi There

There is no issue here, you have to attend muster,

late muster is for late boarding passengers Princess knows who these people are,

just go early you might be seate in the Crown Grill, Exploers lounge etc,

then just wait until crowds have cleared before heading back to your cabin,

if caught setting out to miss muster, or worse trying to get others to miss muster,

you are going to be dumped of the ship,

Captains have very strict orders regarding muster.

yours Shogun

Do you take the life jackets with you still to the drill? On our last NCL cruise we atteneded a drill without them!? Since we are cruising soon on Princess, thought I would ask. It has been awhile since we were on a Princess ship.:confused:

Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean also do not require passengers to take their life jackets with them to the muster drill.

But Princess Cruises still does. Here's a picture from my Ruby Princess cruise this past December. The cruise staff that scanned every ones seapass card upon entering the Crown Grill can be seen in the back left with the yellow hat on.

8345543478_4bc6cef1f5_z.jpg

Hi All

We are lucky enough to be going on

the Royal Pre maiden cruise

48 hrs later we will be doing maiden, so will have two musters

in three days , so what its a new ship happy to give up a few minutes of my time.

yours Shogun

Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean also do not require passengers to take their life jackets with them to the muster drill.

But Princess Cruises still does. Here's a picture from my Ruby Princess cruise this past December. The cruise staff that scanned every ones seapass card upon entering the Crown Grill can be seen in the back left with the yellow hat on.

8345543478_4bc6cef1f5_z.jpg

Thanks for the info and phots. I thought it was strange to not bring them!

Also, keep in mind that the location of your cabin's muster drill is where you are to report in case of a real emergency. Better to spend time finding it for the drill (I like the going early idea :)) than be lost and afraid if something bad happens.

Remember, too, that you are a seasoned cruiser and have a general knowledge of a ship and your aunt and the teenagers won't. They could be put in a very bad situation if they suddenly needed to go their safety spot and had no idea of where to go on a 'giant' floating maze.

Thanks for the info and phots. I thought it was strange to not bring them!

Be advised too that Princess Cruises maintains large numbers of life jackets in wooden lockers along the Promenade Decks of the Grand-class ships, which you can easily see in these pictures:

8345538206_f9a8c52e6f_z.jpg

8344516925_bc5e7213cd_z.jpg

I'd say the OP should be setting the example for newbie cruisers by attending the MANDATORY muster drill at the time it is normally done.

Yes, the mass of people leaving the venue is a PITA, but so what? It's a half hour out of your day, and since you are on vacation, there's nowhere else you HAVE to be!!

It matters not how many times you have been thru it, or that you can recite the instructions from memory ...... what counts is that you attend at the appointed time, get your card scanned, and get you "refresher course" in what to do in case of emergency.

Last cruise we were on several people were late, kept everyone waiting for 15 min. They finally showed up some in the crowd voted to throw them overboard. :eek:They will search you out do not be one of those kind of people that others will hate.:D

one of the reasons the aunt is resistant to cruising is...the crowds. Well, anyone who has cruised before knows this...the first crowd we see is at the buffet...and the NEXT crowd we see is at muster.

If you're THAT experienced with cruising, you should know how to avoid the buffet crowds on embarkation day: go to the International Cafe or the dining room.

If you're concerned about claustrophobia during the muster drill, my advice is to show up LAST. They never start the muster on time, because it takes a while for everyone to file into the venue. Get there 15 minutes after they sound the 7 pings. You'll be last in-first out.

I personally don't see anything wrong with going to the late-passenger drill, but I would suggest you make sure the crew is OK with you doing that on purpose, as it is really for those who showed up late due to unforeseen circumstances. Maybe you could check in at the last minute...;)

After the Concordia, you suggest you know more than the authorities about muster drill? Get over yourself and follow the rules. I'm sure some of those 30 lost souls would tell you the same. Let your newbies go to the drill. In case of an emergency, I'm sure you don't want to be responsible for them suffering in any way.

Tell your Aunt to arrive early and stay late, until the crowd leaves.

Maybe cruising isn't for your aunt. She will miss out on shows(there are crowds, Horizon Court, MDR etc. How about an elevator, will she get in?

You need to talk to her and clue her in on cruising especially on the larger ships.How about a rainy day when everyone inside and congregates in public areas.

Archived