The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Ugh.

Carnival is killing me with these rules. Not so much the drink limit, but the "everyone in the cabin has to buy the same package" crap. My wife doesn't drink alcohol - all she drinks on board is bottled water and specialty coffees. So, for me to enjoy the package, I have to buy two of them and then buy all her drinks a la carte as well (albeit with a 25% discount on some of them !)

I suppose if I choose to sail CCL, I can buy my own adult beverages a la carte, but I really enjoy buying a package ahead of time and not having to think about cost if I want a snifter of Grand Marnier after dinner or a Bloody Mary in the morning. It's a shame that Carnival is so untrusting of its passengers that they feel the need to apply this policy. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity both trust me not to buy drinks for the wife on the sly after spending $5,000 on a cruise vacation.

Sorry, just venting here. Found a ship and an itinerary I really liked on CCL, but this is probably going to push me back to Royal again.

Sorry, just venting here. Found a ship and an itinerary I really liked on CCL, but this is probably going to push me back to Royal again.

Why not just cruise on Celebrity, where you can get the included drinks package which will satisfy the alcohol choices you want and the bottled water and specialty coffees that your DW wants. On Royal, you have to buy the alcohol package for yourself and then buy another package or a la carte for your DW.

What if you order a drink and don't like it will you be able to get another one without it counting towards your 15.

It happened a couple if times with us where the drinks were just exchanged and not put through the card swipe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YMMV, I believe it will all come down to the rapport that you have with the bartender. Some may let it go, but some may be rigid and have the drink you don't like count against your 15.

I wasn't overly thrilled to find out this morning that I had to buy the Cheers program for my wife as well. She doesn't drink alcohol and now I have to spend $350 or so on a package for her that she probably won't use other than for pop. So that may push us to just wing it, buy the bottomless bubbles package for each of us and just buy the alcohol as we go. I don't think I'd drink $700+ in alcohol by myself on a cruise. I'd be a coma! lol

We took advantage of the cheers program on the Dream in mar 2013. It was perfect for my partner and I. I hit the 15 max 1 day on the 7day cruise. The other days what ever we had left at the end of the night we would get unopened beers.

This is perfect. I will likely drink a lot of margaritas, scotch... not so much beer. BUT with kids on trip, I will likely limit my intake to about 5-6/day on most days. HOWEVER, we will definitely tie one on a couple of nights such as Super Bowl Sunday (Feb 7th) and then I will probably need MORE than my 15. It's nice to know that I can just grab unopened drinks to bring to room for those "special nights"

We have bought the cheers program on our lasr 5 cruises, since they first started it. And it has always been worth it. Not having to worry about the dreaded bill at the end of our cruise.

We are not heavy drinkers and it still payed off better. Here is a typical example to justify it and you still at least break even.

1-Bloody Mary or Mamoosa (morning, Don't hiss and boo me I'm on vacation LOL) $8

2-Pina Coloda or Miami Vice (laying around the pool or etc.) (On port days sail away party)$8-$9

3-Martini or Gray Goose/cranberry (cocktail before dinner)$8-$9

4-2 Glasses of wine (dinner) $9-$10

5-Amoritto sour or Crown and coke (during the show)$7-$9

6-Scotch or Crown and coke (night cap or comedy show or , Listeneing to one of the good bands) $7-$9

7-Sodas through out the day ( around $1.50 each?)

Cost so far is around $50 each person. Not including tipsw hich is another 15% automatically added to each order. (Included on cheers at the beginning)

And on sea days most people drink more. I know we do, and my husband has reached his 15 limit before and has never been cut off. I think it all depends on how you are treating the wait staff and bartenders.

Also if you want better service from the wait staff, tip them a little extra, a dolllar or two goes along way. (i know you are already paying, but the staff works long hours for there pay,) Or just gave a little patience, remember you are there with 2000 other very important people. Another option is go to the bar and get it yourself. I find you get it alot faster.

In conclusion it has always been a little cheaper for us and the added security of knowing how much we are spending.

Also we were in Half Moon Cay in February and cheers was not included there, Even though we were told differently. :confused:

So as you can see it all depends on the person.

Hope you have a great cruise and CHEERS!!

P.S. we sail in 40 days on our first 10 day, cheers is definitely in my future. Especially with 3-4 sea days.

Also, is there a list of drinks over $10? I know the drink of the day in the special cup is over....We are already spedning more then $500, I don't want to spend more if I can :)
Tubes and pitchers of draft beer at the Red Frog...Blues Patron Margarita is 1095, and Yards,Twisters and Bikini Yards of frozen drinks all at the Blue Iguana. Otherwise, some tequila shots such as Don Julio Anejo and Reposado and some cognacs are over 10.00 as well. 90%+ of the drinks are covered.

Also, is there a list of drinks over $10? I know the drink of the day in the special cup is over....We are already spedning more then $500, I don't want to spend more if I can :)

Most of your top shelf/premium liquors won't be included. We were on Pride in August and had CHEERS! We made friends with the bartender in the Red Frog Pub almost as soon as we got on the ship. He gave us anything we wanted as part of the package. When he was behind the bar, I was drinking Belvedere and cranberry as part of CHEERS!, other places on the ship they wouldn't give me the Belvedere for "free", so I had to "settle" for Grey Goose.

My 2 best pieces of advice are this:

1) Make friends with a bartender on the first day of the cruise. Maybe even overtip them (we gave our friend in the Red Frog Pub $20 cash with our first drinks, then gave him more the last day of our cruise because he was so awesome). Continue to go back to that bartender every day, or even a few times a day, even just to say hi or grab a quick drink. DW and I have both worked in food service before and we know how much it can mean to those people when you show them appreciation.

2) It can't hurt to ask if something is included in the CHEERS! package when you're sitting/standing at the bar. This is how I found out I could get Belvedere in the Red Frog Pub. I thought there was know way, but figured what the hell and asked. Much to my surprise, he allowed it. Like I said before, nowhere else on the ship could I get it in the package (this also goes back to #1) but ask and sometimes you shall receive!

DW and I are booked for B2B on Victory in January and plan on getting the package again. We'll do the same things we did on Pride; if they work great, if not oh well, nothing lost.

• 2 months later...

Question -

(forgive me if it's already been asked/answered, I have not read thru all 79 pages yet)

Right now, I have a reservation with myself and my youngest daughter in a room (she's only 13, but already Gold on Carnival). I'm interested in buying the Cheers package. But, my older daughter (who is 23 and pregnant) may join us.

If I buy the Cheers package now, while I am the only adult in the room, if I add her later, will I still need to buy the Cheers package for her?

*I understand by Carnival rules that I will, but I'm asking more if anyone has experience and done this, what actually happened, as obviously, my daughter doesn't need/want the Cheers.*

Thanks in advance!

Question -

(forgive me if it's already been asked/answered, I have not read thru all 79 pages yet)

Right now, I have a reservation with myself and my youngest daughter in a room (she's only 13, but already Gold on Carnival). I'm interested in buying the Cheers package. But, my older daughter (who is 23 and pregnant) may join us.

If I buy the Cheers package now, while I am the only adult in the room, if I add her later, will I still need to buy the Cheers package for her?

*I understand by Carnival rules that I will, but I'm asking more if anyone has experience and done this, what actually happened, as obviously, my daughter doesn't need/want the Cheers.*

Thanks in advance!

All passengers over 21 in the same cabin must purchase...

I have a question regarding the cost of the CHEERS program on longer cruises. DW and I are taking a 14 day Carnival Journeys cruise on March 13th with 8 ports of call. Does anyone know if they still offer lower rates on these cruises or is everything a flat rate of $49.95 + 15% gratuity? I just can't see ourselves spend $1600 on liquor - especially with this many ports of call!

Hello,

Am I correct in saying that if you only drink beer the Cheer package is not for you. 15 beers is easy to drink in a day when you are on vacation. Are there any just beer drinkers out there and do you get the package? Thanks,

Dan :)

if you drink more that 10 beers a day, its worth it.