Mediterranean - Eastern or Western?

TSUmom

We can't decide between the 2 intineraries. Anybody on here that has done both? Sell me on one please. I like the idea of Italy, Greece and Turkey but am also liking the idea of Italy, France and Spain. I keep going back and forth. The only thing we know for sure is we want to start in Rome so we can spend a few days there. Both will be on the Jade so there is no picking which ship, and they are 10 an 11 days so now big difference there either. Any opinions are welcome!!:confused:

My fave:

Do the Turkey/Greece run! It also depends on the time of year, the later the better for that one as it will be warmer.

You can always do land trips to the Italy/France one. Not as memorable an itinerary and if you're doing Rome for a few days you can easily take the train to Pompeii for a DYI as well as doing other day trips from there.

I would do the Greece/Turkey itinerary. France, Spain, and Italy are easy to see on land. Greece and Turkey would be better for a cruise, as it can be a hassle to get to the small islands during a land-based trip.

That's just my two cents, based on the logistics involved in getting to the places on your own vs. on a cruise. I've been to all except Turkey (though not all the Greek islands that I'd like to visit) - all are nice in their own way and I think you'll enjoy either trip. For me, the Greece/Turkey itinerary would be good for a cruise, but I would be frustrated at the short stops during the France/Spain/Italy one, as those are among my favorite European countries. For me, a day in port in any of those three countries would not be long enough.

That is why I am considering the Greece/Turkey itinerary because I feel we could do the Italy, France and Spain by land or another cruise later. Kind of like why we keep putting off our 2nd trip too Alaska because there are so many other exotic places to see. We were thinking April or May, Sauer-Kraut how much colder is it that time of year?

That is why I am considering the Greece/Turkey itinerary because I feel we could do the Italy, France and Spain by land or another cruise later. Kind of like why we keep putting off our 2nd trip too Alaska because there are so many other exotic places to see. We were thinking April or May, Sauer-Kraut how much colder is it that time of year?

April will be nice, May starts to warm up so if you're good with hot weather that's a great time to go! I was in Mallorca for a couple of weeks late april 2 years ago and I was fine in Capri's and shorts...cool in the evenings but a cardigan or windbreaker were just fine.

Last year we did the Grand Med itinerary on Norwegian Spirit in late May/early June. The weather was pleasantly warm and sunny. The previous year we did Western Med on Epic in late June on the Epic and it was way too hot to be enjoyable.

Last week I was on Norwegian Spirit and one of the crew members reminded me of a conversation we had the previous summer while on the May/June cruise. Back then I was asked by the crew member if the weather would become hotter, like Caribbean hot was what he said. I told him that it would get much, much hotter than the caribbean. He didn't believe me. Last week he told me that I had not been wrong and 40C temps had been endured and it was too hot for him. He was glad he got to work inside in the aircon of the buffet mostly.

The best time to cruise Europe is April/May and Sept/Oct. These are the months when the weather is pleasant and enjoyable for visiting the ancient sites. I would pick the itinerary with Turkey for it's amazing sites over France and Spain. Also the greek islands are very individual and all are interesting. I would go Eastern Med over Western.

So far the Eastern seems to be the cruise of choice. Now I need to convince some of the worriers in our group that it is safe...A few, including me have never been to Europe and I am up for anywhere but there will be a few new cruisers with us that are a bit...shall I say chicken;)

Oh my gosh, although the base prices are very close for the "everything's Greek" and the "Greece/Turkey" iteneries on the Jade, the difference between the deluxe owners suite/garden villas for each cruise is astronomical!

I checked the 1st and 2nd week of June, 2014. For the Greek cruise, its about $20k/$10k, but on Greece/Turkey its $34k/$18k. Yow!

Is the Greece/Turkey itenerary that much better than the all Greece one?

Last September I did the Eastern Rome to Venice with Florence, Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Olympia, Corfu, Split in between. 10 nights on Crown Princess. Amazing history, the story of democracy's beginnings unfolds along the trip. Port intensive and active.

I have done both many times, we have gone out of Rome alot, but also Istanbul, Athens and Barcelona. Over the years we have done both east and western Mediterranean about a dozen times on various cruise lines, Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, HAL and Cunard.

My advise pick one, you can't go wrong. If you are like us, you will go again. Both cruises are fantastic.

We are on the Jade in April, returning again. We have family in Israel so that is why we picked eastern. Otherwise, it does not matter to us.

By the way if you are going out of Rome, we always use Romecabs.com to take us to and from the ship. Very professional, 130 euros each way for 2 people. Well worth it. YOu cna book in line, pay at time of pickup/drop off.

I have done both many times, we have gone out of Rome alot, but also Istanbul, Athens and Barcelona. Over the years we have done both east and western Mediterranean about a dozen times on various cruise lines, Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, HAL and Cunard.

My advise pick one, you can't go wrong. If you are like us, you will go again. Both cruises are fantastic.

We are on the Jade in April, returning again. We have family in Israel so that is why we picked eastern. Otherwise, it does not matter to us.

By the way if you are going out of Rome, we always use Romecabs.com to take us to and from the ship. Very professional, 130 euros each way for 2 people. Well worth it. YOu cna book in line, pay at time of pickup/drop off.

I have a feeling you are right. Whichever we pick our next cruise will be the other. Thank you for the info on Romecabs. We plan on using Rome in Limo for some of our touring.

Well we couldn't decide either, so we booked both. 12 day Grand Med Barcelona to Venice ( Toulon, Naples, Rome, Livorno, Athens, Mykonos, Istanbul, Izmir, Venice, not exactly in that order). After an overnight-er in Venice we leave the Spirit and board the Jade and leave for a 7 Night Greek Isles ( Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Katakolon( Olympia), Venice) and fly home that evening. It will be in July and August so we are expecting the heat, but no choice as DW works for the school board and summer months are the only time we can go for those lengths.

So anyone reading this thread and are also doing either cruise, we have a roll call going in both the Spirit and Jade sections in the roll call area. Sorry if this was hijacked a bit.

cheers...the Ump...:D

My mom and I sailed on the Jade last September: Venice, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Croatia (again).

You sail out right through Venice, past St. Marks Square. The views of city, the cathedrals, canels, and bridges as you sail out are wonderful.

Turkey was great: ruins were crowded, but we had a lovely lunch in a quiet village not too far from the ruins. The market in the small town was easy to shop in and the vendors and villagers were very friendly.

Athens: well....it is Athens. The port is a long way from the city center, and the traffic is awful. The ruins are wonderful...and everywhere...but not as approachable as the ones in Turkey. With all the unrest lately, the people just don't seem as friendly as in other ports, which is understandable.

Croatia: wonderful. By far the highlight of our trip. Wonderful old walled cities, gorgeous old churches, sea side villages. And, most of all...very very friendly people. Great local crafts (which people are making as they sell them to you) that are pretty affordable.

I loved our itinerary....and plan to get back to Croatia some day.

I can't speak to the other side of the med...sorry.

Archived