Constellation vs Reflection (Itinerary Doesn't Matter)

need2bespoiled

My partner and I are trying to decide on a 9 day (4 day and 5 day back to back) on Constellation vs 7 Day on Reflection in late March/early April.

We don't care too much about the itineraries, as Caribbean beaches are Caribbean beaches and we've been to almost all of them.

Dinning only matters so much for us as we'll eat almost exclusively in specialty restaurants as it's just our style.

Cabins are similar, though the location of available cabins is slightly better on Reflection than the Constellation (Concierge) and we can only find the same cabin on Constellation for both cruises on Deck 9 forward.

Will Reflection have more kids because of the time of year and size of ship or will Constellation because of the shorter sailings?

Will Reflection feel/be more crowded and hard to find chairs by the pool compared to other S Class ships because of more people? Compared to Constellation?

The cruise on Reflection is cheaper by about 20% but it is two days shorter, the cost per day is actually slightly more on Reflection.

We're on constellation for almost a month in Nov/Dec so we kind of want to spend some time on it, but we've also spent some time on an S-Class ship, so know basically what that is like too.

Any thoughts or reasons to weigh one over the other?

I would pick the Reflection, based on better cabin location and more dining options. I think there will be kids on both since its Easter time and some will be off school.

I think it will be hard to find chairs by either pool but there are more alternate locations on Reflection. Plus I like new ships:)

Even though the Reflection is two days shorter, the turn around day is kind of wasted on the B2B option so it's really only one day shorter.

Reflection is probably going to be a better bet. Spring break varies but Easter is the last Sunday in March- so I'd avoid that time on either ship. Also the first week of April.

College age kids tend not to sail Celebrity so I don't think it will be crowded on Reflection but it might be on Constellation because those are cheaper cruises and that's what college kids like -cheap. College spring breaks are often in March and they are the ones I'd worry about.

So go with Reflection. You'll have lots of food choices and there are two large pools- one that is adult only. I haven't sailed Reflection but was on Equinox and it didn't feel more crowded than on the M-class ships.

M- class are my favorite ships but I haven't read great reviews about Constellation.

Reflection is probably going to be a better bet. Spring break varies but Easter is the last Sunday in March- so I'd avoid that time on either ship. Also the first week of April.

College age kids tend not to sail Celebrity so I don't think it will be crowded on Reflection but it might be on Constellation because those are cheaper cruises and that's what college kids like -cheap. College spring breaks are often in March and they are the ones I'd worry about.

So go with Reflection. You'll have lots of food choices and there are two large pools- one that is adult only. I haven't sailed Reflection but was on Equinox and it didn't feel more crowded than on the M-class ships.

M- class are my favorite ships but I haven't read great reviews about Constellation.

Thanks for your reply!

To say one pool is adults only, when the pool area is side by side (we don't count the solarium as who wants to be inside in the Caribbean). Remember, there are more cabins and about 200 more people on Reflection than ever other S Class ship.

You're all making this hard on us as we've been leaning toward Constellation!

Well I would be a lone voice for Connie; Reflection has a lot going for it in terms of newness, however from experience I found it to be overcrowded and under resourced in many areas, especially lounge and bar seating, also buffet and MDR (although I see that will not affect you).

In many ways I much prefer the "M" class ships!

If you choose Connie and are on the April 1st sailing we may bump into each other, as we are on this ship between Infinity and the TA back to the UK on RCCL Independence.:D

Hi,

Since you say you'll eat exclusively in Specialty Restaurants...I agree with others...go with the Reflection, as you are certainly much more limited with choices on the Connie.

It appears a time factor is not as limiting for you...and based on your screen-name...why not spoil yourselves with a wonderful 2-3 night post-cruise stay either in Miami, or perhaps down in the Keys ??!! Nothing better than a wonderful cruise topped off with a few day stay somewhere nice without the need to rush back to the chilly north !

Enjoy !

Woody

Only based on your desire for speciality dining, Reflection because it has more options. But Connie is a more comfortable ship and if you could get the same Concierge stateroom for both cruises, that would be a factor in Connie 's favor but since you can't, then Reflection probably wins.

but Reflection does feel much more crowded than any of the M class ships, with long waits for elevators, not enough seating in buffet, smaller Sky Lounge, no proper dance floor and no T-pool.

Reflection without a doubt. Newer, more dining options, fantastic selection of bars and some unique areas such as Hideaway, Sunset Bar and Game On. Go Aqua class and enjoy the fabulous dining at Blu and the Persian Gardens.

I did not find Reflection crowded at all but any ship will be crowded on a sea day at noon in the buffet or the pool area so expect that!!!

I have only been on Summit but I thought it was more crowded, less dining options, and overall is a smaller, older class of ships.

As for kids, March is spring break time for all ages, especially as Easter falls at the end of march. If you are concerned book Aqua or a suite, less kids there.

Hi,

Since you say you'll eat exclusively in Specialty Restaurants...I agree with others...go with the Reflection, as you are certainly much more limited with choices on the Connie.

It appears a time factor is not as limiting for you...and based on your screen-name...why not spoil yourselves with a wonderful 2-3 night post-cruise stay either in Miami, or perhaps down in the Keys ??!! Nothing better than a wonderful cruise topped off with a few day stay somewhere nice without the need to rush back to the chilly north !

Enjoy !

Woody

We wouldn't be going this week we'd wait if work wasn't a factor. I have to be in Miami by April 6 so this works out nicely (either does).

We know we have more choices on Reflection for dining and that is a factor, though we're ok repeating the same restaurants. We've thought about Aqua and did not enjoy Blue that much and if we're going to eat in specialty restaurants mostly, the issue becomes cabin choice (the price of AQ and Concierge Class is basically the same) and the AQ cabins that are still available as great, in fact, they're not in great locations to start with. We're getting a cabin with a nice large balcony on the front hump :) which isn't too bad considering the late booking.

Since this is being booked now, (couldn't book for work reasons) after all the best promos have basically ended, we're able to combine an open passage we have with benefits from our travel agent and get free grats and some decent OBC. These benefits are better on the seven day sailing than the B2B. The downside is we only get 2 points for Captains Club instead of 4 :D but we'll still be elite before the end of the year. As I've thought about it more, the Constellation itinerary is a little better, especially for me to go diving, but that's not a make or break reason for this cruise.

In the end, the price difference was about $1000 more for the 9 day B2B so we're booking Reflection. Though if we could get a better cabin we'd probably go on Connie and spend the extra $$, mostly because I'd rather dive in Hondurous or Cozumel.

Finally, in response the someone who thinks a back to back is the boring, that would be great! Boring is perfect :) We've done B2Bs and the itineraries are enough different (usually) that it's fine by us. Every cruise is different actually. It's always an adventure!

I'd take the M-Class w/T-Pool and better sea views from inside the ship.

I prefer the Constellations MDR with the big open window on back, the long promenade, and the better sea views from the inside public space.

Just count my vote as 8 points for Connie, 2 points for Reflection's buffet and newness.

-Marisa

I'd take the M-Class w/T-Pool and better sea views from inside the ship.

I prefer the Constellations MDR with the big open window on back, the long promenade, and the better sea views from the inside public space.

Just count my vote as 8 points for Connie, 2 points for Reflection's buffet and newness.

-Marisa

The main dinning room doesn't mean too much too us, but we'd probably check it out, as we won't have too many choices on our 27 day cruise on Connie later in the year and may eat some in the MDR.

If we could get a decent cabin on the first cruise of the B2B we'd go with Connie, but the cabin choices aren't great :(

I found an AQ on the hump that will probably work well, so we'll end up in AQ and be able to add Blue to our list of dinning options.

if you are concerned about kids why not try a different cruise line or a cruise out of San Juan the higher airfare costs I would think would cause less families and Southern Caribbean is really pretty nice.

I need to be in Miami by April 6 for work. I looked at Summit out of San Juan but the airfare it too high for this quick trip/budget for us.

As we're being a bit budget conscious on this cruise, we like Celebrity and are trying to get to Elite this year, we don't want to go to another line.

Have you considered the March 25 on the Equinox?

Yes! LOVE the itinerary, is my first choice, for sure! My partner can't leave until a few days later :( Maybe I can change her mind. :confused: I sure hope we're going to finalize this today.

As we're being a bit budget conscious on this cruise, we like Celebrity and are trying to get to Elite this year, we don't want to go to another line.

On that basis alone, in your shoes I would choose Connie if doing so would make you Elite at the end of the B2B.

Something that has been on the cards for a long time is a change to the way the Captains Club loyalty system works - should it go to something akin to sister line Royal Caribbean you would probably need to attain 80 points (cruise days on ship) to get to the equivalent of Elite now.

On that basis alone, in your shoes I would choose Connie if doing so would make you Elite at the end of the B2B.

Something that has been on the cards for a long time is a change to the way the Captains Club loyalty system works - should it go to something akin to sister line Royal Caribbean you would probably need to attain 80 points (cruise days on ship) to get to the equivalent of Elite now.

Its been a consideration, regardless of which cruise, we'll make Elite by the end of the year, not the end of this cruise...just one cruise earlier with the Connie choice...it still comes down to the fact the only CC Cabins on Connie are on deck 9, under the buffet or under the big overhang for the first leg :( I'm worried it's just too risky.

My partner and I are trying to decide on a 9 day (4 day and 5 day back to back) on Constellation vs 7 Day on Reflection in late March/early April.

We don't care too much about the itineraries, as Caribbean beaches are Caribbean beaches and we've been to almost all of them.

Dinning only matters so much for us as we'll eat almost exclusively in specialty restaurants as it's just our style.

Cabins are similar, though the location of available cabins is slightly better on Reflection than the Constellation (Concierge) and we can only find the same cabin on Constellation for both cruises on Deck 9 forward.

Will Reflection have more kids because of the time of year and size of ship or will Constellation because of the shorter sailings?

Will Reflection feel/be more crowded and hard to find chairs by the pool compared to other S Class ships because of more people? Compared to Constellation?

The cruise on Reflection is cheaper by about 20% but it is two days shorter, the cost per day is actually slightly more on Reflection.

We're on constellation for almost a month in Nov/Dec so we kind of want to spend some time on it, but we've also spent some time on an S-Class ship, so know basically what that is like too.

Any thoughts or reasons to weigh one over the other?

Check out the other solstice class ships like the equinox if you can do 11 days. It is a wonderful ship with many amenities and dining options I believe it is 10 or 11 days if you can swing it!

I found some C2 Cabins available for both cruises, so now we _really_ have a decision...ohhhh, what to do! I'll let you all know :)

I vote for Connie and will be in CC on March 28, 2013!!!

We have a roll call going for this; not too many people on there and showing few kids.

My teenagers will be on there but they are raised correctly and will not be an issue. They are in an inside across from us in a CC. I could not get a suite with an adjacent room at the time of booking. Suite prices still high for this cruise at 1299 pp.....

So, here is what we ended up doing. We booked Reflection.

Deck 11, AQ second off the front hump (1549) so the balcony is a bit bigger. Interestingly enough, this is listed as a 50% obstruction (probably why it is available). In looking at actual ship pictures and other similar obstructions, 10% of this comes from the strut (other similar cabins with the strut are listed as 10% obstruction). So the other 40% must because we can't see forward as the next cabin sticks out a further on the forward hump. Since we've never been in anything but a suite, and usually on the back, we prefer the bigger balcony and rear facing (wind protected) cabin so we can sit on the deck and have breakfast while still at sea.

We made this work for my partner, who thought a 6 day trip was two short as we count a 7 day cruise as 6 days because that first day of flying and getting to the ship and unpacking barely counts, by flying in a day early (early flight) and having an afternoon on the beach and staying in South Beach on Marriott Points (love that they have new boutique hotels). Then, when I go to work on April 6, my partner gets to go sit on the beach. We're not flying home until April 8 in the evening so I get a partial day on Monday. It's nice to have a mostly flexible work schedule!

We're looking forward to seeing Reflection and the changes from Eclipse, the porch, and the Lawn Club Grill! We'll definitely eat some breakfasts and a dinner or two in blue.

We're not looking forward to a smaller cabin (by our standards) with limited storage but we have our 27 day cruise on Connie in a Celebrity Suite to look forward to later in the year!

Thanks everyone for your input, it definitely helped make the decision harder :D

So, here is what we ended up doing. We booked Reflection.

Deck 11, AQ second off the front hump (1549) so the balcony is a bit bigger. Interestingly enough, this is listed as a 50% obstruction (probably why it is available). In looking at actual ship pictures and other similar obstructions, 10% of this comes from the strut (other similar cabins with the strut are listed as 10% obstruction). So the other 40% must because we can't see forward as the next cabin sticks out a further on the forward hump. Since we've never been in anything but a suite, and usually on the back, we prefer the bigger balcony and rear facing (wind protected) cabin so we can sit on the deck and have breakfast while still at sea.

We made this work for my partner, who thought a 6 day trip was two short as we count a 7 day cruise as 6 days because that first day of flying and getting to the ship and unpacking barely counts, by flying in a day early (early flight) and having an afternoon on the beach and staying in South Beach on Marriott Points (love that they have new boutique hotels). Then, when I go to work on April 6, my partner gets to go sit on the beach. We're not flying home until April 8 in the evening so I get a partial day on Monday. It's nice to have a mostly flexible work schedule!

We're looking forward to seeing Reflection and the changes from Eclipse, the porch, and the Lawn Club Grill! We'll definitely eat some breakfasts and a dinner or two in blue.

We're not looking forward to a smaller cabin (by our standards) with limited storage but we have our 27 day cruise on Connie in a Celebrity Suite to look forward to later in the year!

Thanks everyone for your input, it definitely helped make the decision harder :D

Congrats! Enjoy!!!!

Archived