Maui: Road to Hana or Lahaina with OLL?

banditbandit

If you could only do one of these trips, Road to Hana or Lahaina with OLL which one would you do?

Thanks for any insights you have for us! We are 53 years old and first time for DH, second time for me but my first visit was 30 years ago. We are coming in June on NCL POA.

What works for us may not be best for you...a scenic long drive to Hana or a more relaxing day seeing some of the other places without a long drive on the Valley Isle ending with a wonderful OLL luau which would be my choice. I always recommend a more relaxing trip to Hawaii & to not see too many things from a car & instead fully experience fewer things in the Islands.

Thank you so much everyone. I am surprised at your unanimous choice of the luau but that is what we were leaning towards, too. It is so tempting to book a lot of excursions but I will take your advice for the more relaxing route.

Now, how do we get from the port up north (POA) to the west coast without renting a car? Or should we just rent the car? It's not so much the cost but the drive back after the open bar that scares us a bit.

• 1 month later...
I'm just starting to research this as well, I'm guessing it isn't feasible to try and do both in one day?

After the Road to Hana I wouldn't want to drive to West Maui to go to a luau or anything else. It's nearly impossible to fully enjoy both of these things on the same day & I wouldn't recommend doing it...not for me! ;)

After the Road to Hana I wouldn't want to drive to West Maui to go to a luau or anything else. It's nearly impossible to fully enjoy both of these things on the same day & I wouldn't recommend doing it...not for me! ;)

Thanks for the quick response! As I said, I just started researching and was jotting down some of the popular things mentioned on the boards, I haven't really sorted anything out or looked at a map. I'll start working up a list of options and let my DH choose what we do. :D

Thanks for the quick response! As I said, I just started researching and was jotting down some of the popular things mentioned on the boards, I haven't really sorted anything out or looked at a map. I'll start working up a list of options and let my DH choose what we do. :D

My pleasure...I've lived in Maui & still do part time and have also visited as a tourist. Not that I have all of the answers but I enjoy sharing Maui & cruising...two of my favorite things to do.

If you haven't checked the Hawaii Tourist Board (http://www.gohawaii.com/) it's a good source of info. The "Revealed" books for each island are the best ones I've discovered...aloha! :)

I just cancelled my Road to Hana Tour for April because I also have a Luau booked for the same day. I just got a little panicked that we were going to be running a little too tight :confused:

My question is now... since we have the Luau booked for the evening -[ we are leaving at 5pm] What would suggest we do for the day? We don't like to rent cars by the way... Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions

I just cancelled my Road to Hana Tour for April because I also have a Luau booked for the same day. I just got a little panicked that we were going to be running a little too tight :confused:

My question is now... since we have the Luau booked for the evening -[ we are leaving at 5pm] What would suggest we do for the day? We don't like to rent cars by the way... Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions

Since you don't like to rent cars your options are very limited on Maui. Public bus service isn't great but you can check options here:

http://www.mauicounty.gov/index.aspx?NID=605

There isn't much near Kahului's pier...about a 10-15 walk to several malls & in the other direction to a beach near the airport where windsurfing & kite surfing are popular.

On our first trip, we took a taxi from the port to the Maui Aquarium. It's been a couple of years, so I can't remember the cost. Since it doesn't stick in my mind, it must not have been much. We really enjoyed the aquarium and the preview of the marine life we'd see snorkeling on our trip.

This time, we're renting a car and doing the Road to Hana. We decided to spend the night in Hana so we can have a very lesiurely trip and spend the night at a beautiful resort. I purchased the Road to Hana (r2h.com) audio tour CD and we intend to take our time, stop at all the stops, have a great dinner and experience some plantation life.

We are going in May and I'll write up a trip report on this aspect when we get back.

I've had no problem, getting an early start and driving the Road to Hana, fully enjoying it, AND going to Lahaina early evening, for my whale watching "fix" along the highway. (spending hours) I don't want to "relax" which to me means wasting valuable time. Everyone is different. I pack my days with seeing and doing things. Driving is simple and easy for me, affords me a lot of opportunities that aren't available otherwise. I go to Hawaii every year, and now add a week on each side of a cruise, one on Hawaii, one on Maui. Depends how often you are going to get there and what you would like to see and do NOW. I don't go for that "when I return stuff". I live for today. Find out for yourself, where YOUR plans should take you.

On our first trip, we took a taxi from the port to the Maui Aquarium. It's been a couple of years, so I can't remember the cost. Since it doesn't stick in my mind, it must not have been much. We really enjoyed the aquarium and the preview of the marine life we'd see snorkeling on our trip.

I recall a couple on a snorkel trip with me, inquiring if anyone had a car and was going back to the ship, said a cab was over $40 and they were looking for a cheaper ride. I didn't offer and don't think they ever did find anyone, but the distance would have been the same as the Aquarium. They clearly did not expect that rate. Lahaina would be closer to double the distance. So, maybe look at going to your roll call and sharing a cab?? There also will be a cruiseline tour with transportation.

Thank you so much everyone. I am surprised at your unanimous choice of the luau but that is what we were leaning towards, too. It is so tempting to book a lot of excursions but I will take your advice for the more relaxing route.

Now, how do we get from the port up north (POA) to the west coast without renting a car? Or should we just rent the car? It's not so much the cost but the drive back after the open bar that scares us a bit.

My cruise is not until 9/6/14 so I'm interested in all Hawaii! but is the POA docked for two days? and could do both? New to all this:D

My cruise is not until 9/6/14 so I'm interested in all Hawaii! but is the POA docked for two days? and could do both? New to all this:D

Yes, you have two days in Maui - but only one evening. Some tour companies won't do the R2H on the second day due to having to "rush" back to port, but you could possibly do it on your own. From what I understand, it would be very challenging to do both on the first day.

Good luck making your choice!

Having done both on differant trips and being on both sides of the Island, the road to Hana is well worth a days drive even from Lahaina but I wouldn't do both on the sameday. When we did the trip to Hana, we were on that side ( West?) and from the airport it still took us 2.5 hours to make the drive ( 50 miles). We did stay there for a couple days which made it really nice. http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parks/maui/waianapanapa.cfm

Having done both on differant trips and being on both sides of the Island, the road to Hana is well worth a days drive even from Lahaina but I wouldn't do both on the sameday. When we did the trip to Hana, we were on that side ( West?) and from the airport it still took us 2.5 hours to make the drive ( 50 miles). We did stay there for a couple days which made it really nice. http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parks/maui/waianapanapa.cfm

Thanks for the advice and link!

Your welcome, this was years ago so can't say how it is now, but they had beautiful good size cottages over looking the ocean. We decided to come down a day early so we could take a drive to Lahaina before catching our flight the next day back to Oahu. Coming down was an adventure, as a caravan was on the way up and at one corner we got stuck and the van going up and our car had to inch up/down a little at a time. There was a large rock along the road and we both couldn't get by at the sametime. I think it took us over 10 minutes to finally clear. The 2nd van waited on all the rest of us coming down to clear before proceeding.:)

• 2 weeks later...

This time, we're renting a car and doing the Road to Hana. We decided to spend the night in Hana so we can have a very lesiurely trip and spend the night at a beautiful resort. I purchased the Road to Hana (r2h.com) audio tour CD and we intend to take our time, stop at all the stops, have a great dinner and experience some plantation life.

We are going in May and I'll write up a trip report on this aspect when we get back.

This is the way to do it. There's so many waterfalls and scenic vistas on the way to Hana you want to be able to take your time. You could easily spend an entire day on the way to Hana, stopping at red sand beaches, doing short hikes, and swimming in waterfalls!

What to do prior to the Luau at 5pm? We are renting a car, and only there one day, starting at 9am. I had planned on going Hana, but you guys have made me realize that may be difficult. We are a group of 4 , and I am the only one that has been there. (20years ago) Is it possible to drive half way to Hana and come back? I will take all suggestions.

What to do prior to the Luau at 5pm? We are renting a car, and only there one day, starting at 9am. I had planned on going Hana, but you guys have made me realize that may be difficult. We are a group of 4 , and I am the only one that has been there. (20years ago) Is it possible to drive half way to Hana and come back? I will take all suggestions.

There are plenty of things to do but not sure whether you're seeking a busy day or a more relaxing day. You can drive the RTH part way but to me nothing that great to drive that far.

You could drive to Haleakala & the cooler Upcountry area. Generally clouds roll into the crater by midday so just like the beaches morning is best.

For sightseeing some options would be Iao Valley & Maui Ocean Center. There are good beaches in the Wailea/Makena area of South Maui. There's a nice beachfront paved walkway connecting both ends of Wailea which are about 1 1/2 miles apart. There are some nice snorkeling spots which are best before the winds kick up generally close to noon or just time on the beach.

In West Maui there's a nice beach in Ka'anapali with the Whaler's Village outdoor shopping center with some nice restaurants. Lahaina is a historical town with many shops & restaurants.

There's so many things to do & not knowing your preferences these are just a few things to do.

Archived