Zuiderdam

Dipsylee

I would like to know the best place to stand to go thru the canal and what time should a person be up to watch. We leave in 11 days.

Ilike to be on the Bow if it is not too hot. going into Gatun Locks is usually done befoe it gets too hot.

We had no complaints about the condition of the ship. The carpet in our cabin could use a cleaning, but otherwise the ship looks good. Everything worked--toilet, lights, a/c, etc. The bed was comfortable, the towels generous. We would've liked to have a lounger on our verandah as we have a big verandah and the chairs we have aren't too comfortable, but that seemed minor to us. The theatre and dining rooms were in good shape and I saw no obvious wear in the carpeting. Some carpeting was being replaced during the cruise.

We went to one cooking demo, but no classes. There were plenty of things going on we would've done but times overlapped with other activities. Signing off now and will work on a review in a few days.

We had no complaints about the condition of the ship. The carpet in our cabin could use a cleaning, but otherwise the ship looks good. Everything worked--toilet, lights, a/c, etc. The bed was comfortable, the towels generous. We would've liked to have a lounger on our verandah as we have a big verandah and the chairs we have aren't too comfortable, but that seemed minor to us. The theatre and dining rooms were in good shape and I saw no obvious wear in the carpeting. Some carpeting was being replaced during the cruise.

We went to one cooking demo, but no classes. There were plenty of things going on we would've done but times overlapped with other activities. Signing off now and will work on a review in a few days.

Thanks so much for all of your answers, Dipsylee. So glad your cruise went well. I'll be looking forward to reading your full review. Also like to hear about any excursions that you took. Safe trip home!

When we went on the 11-day PC Sunfarer in late October, we happened to go lunch in the MDR just as the ship was returning back through the canal (we didn't take an excursion).

The maitre'd seated us and the other few lunch guests by the large windows in the stern of the ship, and we had a spectacular close-up view of the ship going through the locks.

In response to your question about Puerto Limon, we did the White Water Rafting tour. Absolutely had a blast! We had never done it before, but look forward to trying it again sometime. It was the dry season so the rapids were only 1-2+, but that was perfect for us as beginners. And we were lucky enough on our return bus ride to see a sloth in a tree right on the roadside. The bus stopped so we could all get photos. It left us plenty of time to visit the little market area outside the port which had a great variety of items to choose from.

Sorry I haven't done my full review yet, but came down with the flu on the trip home and am just starting to feel human again!!

We are booked on the Zuiderdam in November. Do men need a jacket or suit for dinner? Would a nice collared shirt and dress slacks be suffice for dinner on nights in the formal dining room? We are looking forward to the cruise! Thanks for all of the great comments. Any help is appreciated.

I am very happy to hear they seem to have resolved many of the issues with plumbing and a/c. The panama buns are delish, they were filled pineapple last year, and available on all open decks.

Ruth... come join us next year for the full transit:)

You beat me to it. I was going say the same thing. I guess I can just echo your invitation. :)

Edited to say I just noticed your invitation to Ruth was a week ago but I just read it now for the first time. Now that I have read further, I agree about just adding another cruise.

We are booked on the Zuiderdam in November. Do men need a jacket or suit for dinner? Would a nice collared shirt and dress slacks be suffice for dinner on nights in the formal dining room? We are looking forward to the cruise! Thanks for all of the great comments. Any help is appreciated.

Without a jacket and tie, you would most likely see your husband turned away from the MDR on formal nights. What you describe would be fine for other nights.

If you don't wish to participate in formal night, the Lido allows casual dress anytime.

In the Pinnacle you would also need to dress for formal night. In fact, for the Pinnacle most people dress up a bit more any night.

Very few women take long formal gowns anymore due to airline weight restrictions. Most wear a nice cocktail dress or suit. For men a tux is not necessary either. If you prefer to not go the tux route, a dark suit is very nice as well. A blazer and flannels would get you in the door if he also wore a tie.

In response to your question about Puerto Limon, we did the White Water Rafting tour. Absolutely had a blast! We had never done it before, but look forward to trying it again sometime. It was the dry season so the rapids were only 1-2+, but that was perfect for us as beginners. And we were lucky enough on our return bus ride to see a sloth in a tree right on the roadside. The bus stopped so we could all get photos. It left us plenty of time to visit the little market area outside the port which had a great variety of items to choose from.

Sorry I haven't done my full review yet, but came down with the flu on the trip home and am just starting to feel human again!!

We were on this as well. I LOVED it. Best excursion I've ever done.

He really will need a jacket of some sort on formal nights. It was a mix of tuxedos, suits, and blue blazers on my trip, but I did not by the desk in the dining room that they had a bunch of jackets sitting that I assumed they offered to gentlemen who came without one.

Edited to say I just noticed your invitation to Ruth was a week ago but I just read it now for the first time. Now that I have read further, I agree about just adding another cruise.

Thanks, sapper. The thing is, though, that when I said I was booked through April, '14, I was being quite literal. I have an Asia cruise that starts the end of March, and brings me to Vancouver the first of May.

Maybe some other time? I would love it.

Thanks to Sapper1 and Alwaysfrantic. This answers my question and totally not a problem for my hubby and father-in-law to take a nice suit, collared shirts and ties. We are looking forward to this cruise. Thanks for all of the wonderful information! I will keep checking back for more useful info.

Thanks to Sapper1 and Alwaysfrantic. This answers my question and totally not a problem for my hubby and father-in-law to take a nice suit, collared shirts and ties. We are looking forward to this cruise. Thanks for all of the wonderful information! I will keep checking back for more useful info.

You will find a gold mine of information here. It certainly has enriched my cruising experiences. I have also met some wonderful people. Win win.

Have a fantastic cruise.

Archived