The Good Old Days When cruise ships were Liners

glojo

Apologies if this has been posted before

It's always wonderful to see any footage of those golden days. Most 'ships' then were called ships, and most were indeed Liners....they had lead in their belly and even the small ones could cross the pond with ease.

These days folk keep referring to any ship as 'boats'....and most are just that....boat hotels at sea.

Our great Liners have long gone...very sad but true. Can you imagine in this day and age travelling on board those beauties....in one's fur coat and smoking anywhere one wishes to.....the holier than thou would have a field day.....as 'they' are indeed doing.

Do any so called Hollywood stars sail on our only liner now...well maybe a few....but not like it used to be....and sadly that is what folk are right now wanting to re-create, but it is not going to happen.

I love QM2.....but one has to remember that she is just a transatlantic ferry ......a cruise ship she is not.

But with a few martinis in the Chart Room on Captains nite when everyone is in Black Tie & gowns & bejeweled ...one can get the feeling...foggily so but still....

It's always wonderful to see any footage of those golden days. Most 'ships' then were called ships, and most were indeed Liners....they had lead in their belly and even the small ones could cross the pond with ease.

These days folk keep referring to any ship as 'boats'....and most are just that....boat hotels at sea.

Our great Liners have long gone...very sad but true. Can you imagine in this day and age travelling on board those beauties....in one's fur coat and smoking anywhere one wishes to.....the holier than thou would have a field day.....as 'they' are indeed doing.

Do any so called Hollywood stars sail on our only liner now...well maybe a few....but not like it used to be....and sadly that is what folk are right now wanting to re-create, but it is not going to happen.

I love QM2.....but one has to remember that she is just a transatlantic ferry ......a cruise ship she is not.

As nice as those ships have been- well I very much prefer our modern ships with the gimicks of the modern age. I have visited QM in Lond Beach twice- it really was a wonderful experience- but do I want to sail on one of those Oldtimers- well rather not! ( well in first class maybe - but that is way out of my budget. LOL)

Unfortunately it is Mr Shanks that is forgeting that (he is CEO so the fault is his)

Cunard are using QM2 more , and more ,as a "cruise " ship. She does a transatlantic, then goes off cruising for 4-7 days, around Britain/ Norway/ Northern coast of Germany/Holland/Belgium/France then back to transatlantic. Then off to New England/Nova Scotia/Canada before resuming Transatlantic.

Unfortunately it is Mr Shanks that is forgeting that (he is CEO so the fault is his)

Cunard are using QM2 more , and more ,as a "cruise " ship. She does a transatlantic, then goes off cruising for 4-7 days, around Britain/ Norway/ Northern coast of Germany/Holland/Belgium/France then back to transatlantic. Then off to New England/Nova Scotia/Canada before resuming Transatlantic.

I was told by a crew member that the main reason they do these cruises with QM2 is actually for the benefit of the crew. Constant back to back transatlantic trips meant that crew weren't getting a shorebreak for weeks on end.

Hi Glojo, I was fortunate enough to go on board Queen Mary for lunch in New York in the late sixties when I was flying. I have also been on her in Long Beach a couple of times. Wonderful old ship, but I am looking forward to our trip next January on the QE. I have crossed the Atlantic six times now by sea but always to or from FLL or Miami.

Regards Pat

Hi Glojo, forgot to say that I sailed round the old Queen Elizabeth when she was lying on her side in Hong Kong harbour. That was a really sad sight to see.

Regards

Pat

:( It is never nice seeing any ship in any state other than the one it was designed for.

Your comment made me think about HMS Scylla, a smart, immaculate, well maintained frigate that was allowed to rust away then get butchered, blown up (scuttled) and be used as an underwater reef :(

scylla6.jpg

155265.jpg

Apologies for the thread drift but to me a ship has a soul ;) and seeing them 'die' is sad.

Apologies if this has been posted before

Thank you I had not seen this before, and, an extra was the Union Castle line ship in the background at SOTO at the end of the clip. We have travelled to South Africa and back on the UCL ships, nice but not Cunard! Brought back memories of fine cruises.

Thank you I had not seen this before, and, an extra was the Union Castle line ship in the background at SOTO at the end of the clip. We have travelled to South Africa and back on the UCL ships, nice but not Cunard! Brought back memories of fine cruises.
Those Castle Line ships certainly looked the part of a cruise ship come liner, much better looking than the Blue funnel Line :)

Cunard might no longer be the Cunard it once was but the name lives on and long may that continue. i would still have liked to see the three prominent funnels that made the ship such an individual vessel.

I was told by a crew member that the main reason they do these cruises with QM2 is actually for the benefit of the crew. Constant back to back transatlantic trips meant that crew weren't getting a shorebreak for weeks on end.

Not true. Cunard has other reasons to make the QM2 a cruise ship,with ports.

I agree. As a former ship master, I can attest that the LAST thing the shipping companies worry about is the crew and their wants.:eek:

AH ,as a former ship master you know the real deal. The crew for the most part ,have no say as to where the ship goes.

AH ,as a former ship master you know the real deal. The crew for the most part ,have no say as to where the ship goes.

In the "Oulde Days" when you traveled beyond radio range, you pretty much were able to adhere to the sailing orders as written. With the advent of sat phones, the officers are on 24hour call to the owners (who might be up to 12 time zones away) and they call during their business hours.:eek: As they say, the only constant is change!

In the "Oulde Days" when you traveled beyond radio range, you pretty much were able to adhere to the sailing orders as written. With the advent of sat phones, the officers are on 24hour call to the owners (who might be up to 12 time zones away) and they call during their business hours.:eek: As they say, the only constant is change!

Very interesting! and true

I was looking up family members on an ancestry website and found passenger lists for my father (as a boy and college student) and my grandmother on the Queen Mary, but also various other transatlantic liners whose names I'd never heard of. I have to locate the copies I made because I can't recall the ships' names right now. But the point is there were multiple liners crossing the Atlantic in the 1040's and 1950's. The crossings they were on all sailed into New York, not just from Southampton, but from ports around Europe, Lisbon, Le Havre, Cherbourg, etc. Of course, they were very fast in those days.

I suppose this was just before flying became the thing.

I just sat and watched a few of these with my son. Everyone looks so.... Thin. And they're running around exercising with balls. Chances are there were three meals a day. How odd :rolleyes:. Cruising is now about the food fest. Hmm.

Archived