What do you wish you had known?

beachbum6264

CowPrincess and Cruising-along thank you. I'm glad I know this before I go :)

Walking laps around the teak decks on a HAL ship is one of my favorite things to do. We try (emphasis on try!) to get in at least a couple miles, preferably more, each day. Nothing like the breeze and view to inspire a person. :D

This may be cheating because I did know about it before we sailed but I did enjoy the iPod art tours available on the Noordam. You can pick it up at the library and it takes you around the ship and gives nice information on many of the pieces of art around the ship. It's a great way to spend an hour on a sea day, especially if you have a rainy day (or even if you've gotten too much sun:o).

The one thing I wish I had known before my first HAL cruise is that the buffet is arranged in stations.

At that time cabins weren't available when you boarded, so everyone was directed to the Lido for lunch. With all those people and their carry on luggage, it was kind of a zoo.

There was this long line at what I thought was the beginning of the buffet line. So I got in it and waited. And waited. And waited. It wasn't moving at all! We were hungry and getting frustrated that the line wasn't moving, so we finally gave up and got a slice of HAL's lousy pizza.

The next day, when I looked at the buffet set up again, I realized it was arranged in stations. A salad station, a sandwich station, etc. The big line was at the hot entree station, but I honestly think everyone just thought they had to form an orderly line. But there was no one at the other stations, so I could have had a salad or sandwich without waiting so long.

Here's what I wished I had discovered sooner:

I wish I had known about in room dining. The ability to order from the MDR and have dinner in your room.

I wish I had taken advantage of the room service for breakfast earlier in my cruising history.

I wish I had realized how helpful the ginger was and taken advantage of it earlier.

Lastly, I wish I had started sailing HAL earlier and realized how truly wonderful the staff is:)

Smooth seas :)

I like your list.

Archived