What do you wish you had known?

beachbum6264

We just booked our first HAL cruise. While this is not my first cruise I do understand that all cruise lines are different. What do you wish you had known for your first (or second, or third) HAL cruise? Any great tips? What not to miss, what to skip? Inside info to share?

Thanks in advance.

We just booked our first HAL cruise. While this is not my first cruise I do understand that all cruise lines are different. What do you wish you had known for your first (or second, or third) HAL cruise? Any great tips? What not to miss, what to skip? Inside info to share?

Thanks in advance.

I wish I'd known ahead of my first HAL cruise just how awesome they were and still are, BTW:)

The ambiance, classiness, near spotlessness, friendliness of the crew, the look of the ship itself, the offerings on board and most especially the stateroom photos, are what I'd have liked to read and see mor of before our first cruise.

I still cannot believe just how awesome HAL is!! While it may not be top of the line or premium like Silver Sea or Azamura are purported to be, but it is in hubby and my eyes, the best cruise line for us to date and the classiest!!

Joanie

I wish I'd known ahead of my first HAL cruise just how awesome they were and still are, BTW:)

The ambiance, classiness, near spotlessness, friendliness of the crew, the look of the ship itself, the offerings on board and most especially the stateroom photos, are what I'd have liked to read and see mor of before our first cruise.

I still cannot believe just how awesome HAL is!! While it may not be top of the line or premium like Silver Sea or Azamura are purported to be, but it is in hubby and my eyes, the best cruise line for us to date and the classiest!!

Joanie

I have to agree with everything Joanie said :D

What ship, cabin catagory and sailing are you on? We can help you more that way. :)

We are on the Noordam, ocean-view cabin for the 21 day Wayfarer/Seafarer in Jan 2014.

All we are expecting is to have a great time! We are both retiring at the end of May, and this is our way of keeping away from the cold weather next winter :D

We love to snorkel and will be looking for the best beaches on this itinerary. We've been to St. Thomas and St. Maartin, but all the others will be new experiences.

Part of me wishes nobody had told me because of the calories, but the rest of me is glad someone told me about the wonderful bread pudding at HAL's Lido buffet at lunch.

In St Thomas, consider sea kayaking. There's a good "ecotour" company in St Thomas, and we've gone with them twice, both times as cruise excursions, but you can book with them directly. It's a nice kayak trip through a mangrove area and then to a lagoon where you can snorkel. Excellent quality kayaks, drybags and snorkel equipment provided.

Here's what I wished I had discovered sooner:

I wish I had known about in room dining. The ability to order from the MDR and have dinner in your room.

I wish I had taken advantage of the room service for breakfast earlier in my cruising history.

I wish I had realized how helpful the ginger was and taken advantage of it earlier.

Lastly, I wish I had started sailing HAL earlier and realized how truly wonderful the staff is:)

Smooth seas :)

The movie shown one day in the theatre is shown on TV the next day

There is usually an afternoon "tea" in the main dining room. I haven't made it to one in 4 years, but keep intending to ;)

One side of the Lido breakfast buffet has waffles, the other side has Eggs Benedict. So check BOTH sides :D

Room service is great. And you can order from the dining room menu for in-room dining if you feel like "slothing" some evening

3 laps around the Promenade Deck = 1 mile. That is a great way to start or end a day.

There's only one thing I wish I had known when I started cruising, but it's no longer a valid concern: I wish I had known it was customary to tip the crew when HAL sailed under the "Tipping not Required" policy. I believed them, and regret it to this day.

Other than that, I am glad that I boarded with my eyes not so much wide open as popped! I was like a kid on Christmas morning discovering things I had only dreamed about.

Learning all these new things a little at a time, over the course of several early cruises, kept me in wonder for a long time.

That was a joy that's not duplicated when you know too much.

There's only one thing I wish I had known when I started cruising, but it's no longer a valid concern: I wish I had known it was customary to tip the crew when HAL sailed under the "Tipping not Required" policy. I believed them, and regret it to this day.

Other than that, I am glad that I boarded with my eyes not so much wide open as popped! I was like a kid on Christmas morning discovering things I had only dreamed about.

Learning all these new things a little at a time, over the course of several early cruises, kept me in wonder for a long time.

That was a joy that's not duplicated when you know too much.

I had the same problem as Ruth with the tipping question on our frist HAL cruise 12 years ago. I thought tips were included, but of course they were not. Poor wording on HAL's part. Fortunately, a couple we met on our cruise "showed us the ropes" with HAL.

DaveOKC

I wish I had known about CC before my first cruise. Lots of questions would have been answered for me.

You are absolutely right! I think I had done 2 or 3 cruises before I found CC - and then I learned soooo much invaluable info on just about every topic associated with cruising.

I wish I had known to always carry some cash for tipping staff I might encounter again.

Also----someone mentioned the movie would be on tv the next day. Gosh I wish I had known that. We really wanted to see Lincoln but the theater times didn't work. We needed this thread a few weeks ago!

I wish we had discovered HAL earlier in our cruising career because we'd now be 4 star mariners instead of 2 star. After this next cruise, I'll be 3 star at long last.

I wish we had known how courteous the staff was, how lovely the ships are, and how delicious (and sinful) the bread pudding is.

Do you get the picture that I regret spending money on other cruise lines?

I wish I had known to always carry some cash for tipping staff I might not encounter again.

Also----someone mentioned the movie would be on tv the next day. Gosh I wish I had known that. We really wanted to see Lincoln but the theater times didn't work. We needed this thread a few weeks ago!

Meant to say cash for people you may NOT see again.

I didn't know about CC until our 2nd or 3rd cruise, I could fill a book with what we didn't know. :p

I would have liked to know about HAL's generous wine policy (it isn't common knowledge to someone who isn't on CC, much as some would like you to believe)

I wish I knew then about how wonderful it is to get room service breakfast, afternoon appetizers, and dinner from the MDR delivered to your cabin.

The cabinet in the Explorers Lounge with the collection of books -- (take one, leave one). I always check that out, and usually leave the paperback I've brought with me so I don't have to bring it home. :)

Thanks in advance.

It's all about location.

Our first cruise was a last minute mark-down. It was above the show lounge and in the extreme front of the ship. We managed both noisy and rough.

Nevertheless, we had a great cruise and have learned that cabin location matters!

Is it the same on the Westerdam?

Each class of ship is different in size, so is different in the number of laps equals a mile. I don't know which ship CowPrincess was referring to... there will be signs posted on the deck stating how many laps equal a mile on that particular ship.

The Westerdam is a Vista class, so larger than the S and R class or the Prinsendam.

Each class of ship is different in size, so is different in the number of laps equals a mile. I don't know which ship CowPrincess was referring to... there will be signs posted on the deck stating how many laps equal a mile on that particular ship.

The Westerdam is a Vista class, so larger than the S and R class or the Prinsendam.

The OP specified Noordam, and that is the ship I was referring to in my comment.

The smaller ships are 4x = 1 mile.

Archived