VERY Disappointed with Air Deviation offer

ComoCruiser

:( My hubbie & I recently returned from our first Oceania cruise aboard the Riviera with two other couples & were extremely impressed (we have more than 20 previous cruises primarily with Regent); we were very much looking forward to our November 2013 Transatlantic from Barcelona to Rio on Marina. However our recent exchanges with Oceania's Custom Air Department (through our TA) have been depressing. Wishing to minimize the duration of our homebound trip (Rio to Montreal) I thoroughly researched available flights and submitted an Air Deviation request, listing 3 possible routings to BCN (arriving 2 days before the cruise) & 4 homebound options from RIO, 2 on TAM (Star Alliance) & 2 on AA. Oceania agreed to our first choice to Europe :), but rejected all of our return options, instead proposing a US Airways intinerary with a 7 hour layover in Charlotte, NC. As it made no sense to pay an Air Deviation fee for such a painful itinerary, we asked could they not reconsider our requested flights, especially the American Airlines options, given the recent approval of the US Airways/AA merger. But Oceania were totally intransigent, stating that they presently have no contract in South America with TAM or AA; US Airways was the best they could do. Yet an ITA Air Search on the web lists 10 other routings of shorter duration & comparable cost (AA, TAM, Delta, Japan Airlines, etc.) We even asked if they could not accomodate our request for no additional cost, how much extra would it be to put us on TAM or AA. Never received any response to this. Booking our own air is a "non-starter" as the Oceania air credit is a mere $550 per person & we do not have nearly enough frequent flyer miles for reward travel. So it would appear we must either wait & resubmit our deviation request in a few months hoping more airlines are available, or wait even longer to see how Oceania routes us under their Free Aiirfare Program, which means abandoning our desire to spend a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise.

Please excuse the length of this post; just needed to vent. If anyone has any suggestions we would welcome them. Thanks in advance.

:( My hubbie & I recently returned from our first Oceania cruise aboard the Riviera with two other couples & were extremely impressed (we have more than 20 previous cruises primarily with Regent); we were very much looking forward to our November 2013 Transatlantic from Barcelona to Rio on Marina. However our recent exchanges with Oceania's Custom Air Department (through our TA) have been depressing. Wishing to minimize the duration of our homebound trip (Rio to Montreal) I thoroughly researched available flights and submitted an Air Deviation request, listing 3 possible routings to BCN (arriving 2 days before the cruise) & 4 homebound options from RIO, 2 on TAM (Star Alliance) & 2 on AA. Oceania agreed to our first choice to Europe :), but rejected all of our return options, instead proposing a US Airways intinerary with a 7 hour layover in Charlotte, NC. As it made no sense to pay an Air Deviation fee for such a painful itinerary, we asked could they not reconsider our requested flights, especially the American Airlines options, given the recent approval of the US Airways/AA merger. But Oceania were totally intransigent, stating that they presently have no contract in South America with TAM or AA; US Airways was the best they could do. Yet an ITA Air Search on the web lists 10 other routings of shorter duration & comparable cost (AA, TAM, Delta, Japan Airlines, etc.) We even asked if they could not accomodate our request for no additional cost, how much extra would it be to put us on TAM or AA. Never received any response to this. Booking our own air is a "non-starter" as the Oceania air credit is a mere $550 per person & we do not have nearly enough frequent flyer miles for reward travel. So it would appear we must either wait & resubmit our deviation request in a few months hoping more airlines are available, or wait even longer to see how Oceania routes us under their Free Aiirfare Program, which means abandoning our desire to spend a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise.

Please excuse the length of this post; just needed to vent. If anyone has any suggestions we would welcome them. Thanks in advance.

Doesnt sound like Oceanias air department to me..try again..

Jancruz1

... But Oceania were totally intransigent, stating that they presently have no contract in South America with TAM or AA; US Airways was the best they could do. Yet an ITA Air Search on the web lists 10 other routings of shorter duration & comparable cost (AA, TAM, Delta, Japan Airlines, etc.) We even asked if they could not accomodate our request for no additional cost, how much extra would it be to put us on TAM or AA. Never received any response to this. Booking our own air is a "non-starter" as the Oceania air credit is a mere $550 per person

<snip>

Understandable. I am sure you are frustrated by this. I've certainly gone on longer for less.

I think they should have replied o your request for a quote on the additional cost. If they don't have a contract with those airlines, which is why they can sell some flights for lower that you can buy, especially the ridiculous international one way fares as in this case, you might not be able to rationalize the $100s for that 7 hour layover but at least you could make an informed decision.

I agree with Jancuz1 - try again. Have your agent follow-up

Como,

Sounds like my air deviation. I am on the same cruise you are flying out of DFW. I rejected the first offer they gave me and resubmitted the routes I wanted. They originally had me flying from DFW-JFK-BCN but I was a little nervous about flying out of JFK in November. So I asked for DFW-LHR-BCN on British Airways and they gave me that. I am also flying in two days early to BCN. But, when I asked about AA direct from GIG-DFW they turned me down saying the same thing about not having a contract with AA from Brazil. So, I took the one they offered GIG-Charlotte-DFW, but my layover was just 2 hours. So by the time I get through passport control and customs n Charlotte my flight should be close. Like you, I would have balked at a 7 hour layover. I also inquired about the cost difference if I booked the AA flight to DFW. Again the they mentioned the no contract with AA n Brazil. I am not using a TA this was me direct with them.

Jeff

We flew US Airways from Toronto via Charlotte to Rio. They refused TAM for us as well. Check other timings through Charlotte. It is a good airport, easy to deal with and rocking chairs for relaxing. A plus too is non-stop from CLT to Rio. No stop in the very early morning in Sao Paolo.

You might try ITA Matrix for finding flights.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

Not sure when your cruise is but I just checked ITA software. There is a 5:30 pm flight YUL to CLT arriving at 8:17 pm and then 2hours and 18 minutes layover in Charlotte. A 10:35 pm flight to Rio arriving at 9:20 am. See if that works for your date.

The flight number is 3977 from YUL and 800 from CLT to GIG

We did pay air deviation. We also went a day early and stayed at a moderately priced hotel one block up from Copacabana Beach. Savoy Othon Travel - a business hotel. Nice to have another day in Rio!

...Wishing to minimize the duration of our homebound trip (Rio to Montreal) I thoroughly researched available flights and submitted an Air Deviation request, listing 3 possible routings to BCN (arriving 2 days before the cruise) & 4 homebound options from RIO, 2 on TAM (Star Alliance) & 2 on AA. Oceania agreed to our first choice to Europe :), but rejected all of our return options, instead proposing a US Airways intinerary with a 7 hour layover in Charlotte, NC. As it made no sense to pay an Air Deviation fee for such a painful itinerary, we asked could they not reconsider our requested flights, especially the American Airlines options, given the recent approval of the US Airways/AA merger. But Oceania were totally intransigent, stating that they presently have no contract in South America with TAM or AA...
Oceania Air Department DOES have some South America contracts with AA, as we are on AA LIM-MIA-DCA in May through Oceania Air. Sounds like they just do not have a Brazil contract.

Thom

Note to Tansy Mews: OP is coming FROM [not to] Rio.

Many thanks to you all for the comments & suggestions; at least I know we're not alone in this situation. I will make one last attempt via our TA to have Oceania quote the additional cost for the TAM or AA flights. As a last resort, since we really like the outbound routing to BCN, perhaps we'll propose a "conditional" acceptance of the US Airways flights home, under the condition that if any shorter duration itinerary becomes possible we be rebooked without repaying the $150 pp fee? Don't know if they'll go for that but no harm in asking..........

Oceania Air Department DOES have some South America contracts with AA, as we are on AA LIM-MIA-DCA in May through Oceania Air. Sounds like they just do not have a Brazil contract.

Thom

Note to Tansy Mews: OP is coming FROM [not to] Rio.

Whoops! Sorry.

... without repaying the $150 pp fee?

I'm hearing you'll probably have to pay the $150 at each end so there may not be a reason not to accept the outbound leg you want and continue negotiating the return. (I'd have called you with this revelation but it's late at your house and, being so old now, I'll probably forget by morning).

It looks like US Airways is not great for you. Easier to YYZ compared to YUL. My only suggestion is that you look directly at the US Airways site. Look at booking GIG to CLT. Then look at CLT to YUL separately rather than one ticket. There are earlier flights from CLT but you would have to deal with another airport and plane change. Not my favourite thing to do and I don't think you greatly reduce your total travel time My sympathies.

If the American Airlines-US Airways merger is approved, might that not change the contracts that Oceania has?
It should, be questionable if AA & US will be totally merged by Nov 2013. SW bought AirTran in 2010, and they still have separate schedules.

Thom

I live in Mtl and I have booked a cruise for Dec 2013 Rio to Buenos Aires and I don't think I will take an air deviation. Does O' goes to S.A. only with US Airlines?

quote=ComoCruiser;37360696]:( My hubbie & I recently returned from our first Oceania cruise aboard the Riviera with two other couples & were extremely impressed (we have more than 20 previous cruises primarily with Regent); we were very much looking forward to our November 2013 Transatlantic from Barcelona to Rio on Marina. However our recent exchanges with Oceania's Custom Air Department (through our TA) have been depressing. Wishing to minimize the duration of our homebound trip (Rio to Montreal) I thoroughly researched available flights and submitted an Air Deviation request, listing 3 possible routings to BCN (arriving 2 days before the cruise) & 4 homebound options from RIO, 2 on TAM (Star Alliance) & 2 on AA. Oceania agreed to our first choice to Europe :), but rejected all of our return options, instead proposing a US Airways intinerary with a 7 hour layover in Charlotte, NC. As it made no sense to pay an Air Deviation fee for such a painful itinerary, we asked could they not reconsider our requested flights, especially the American Airlines options, given the recent approval of the US Airways/AA merger. But Oceania were totally intransigent, stating that they presently have no contract in South America with TAM or AA; US Airways was the best they could do. Yet an ITA Air Search on the web lists 10 other routings of shorter duration & comparable cost (AA, TAM, Delta, Japan Airlines, etc.) We even asked if they could not accomodate our request for no additional cost, how much extra would it be to put us on TAM or AA. Never received any response to this. Booking our own air is a "non-starter" as the Oceania air credit is a mere $550 per person & we do not have nearly enough frequent flyer miles for reward travel. So it would appear we must either wait & resubmit our deviation request in a few months hoping more airlines are available, or wait even longer to see how Oceania routes us under their Free Aiirfare Program, which means abandoning our desire to spend a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise.

I live in Mtl and I have booked a cruise for Dec 2013 Rio to Buenos Aires and I don't think I will take an air deviation. Does O' goes to S.A. only with US Airlines?

I've only cruised with Regent so far, not Oceania, but they share an air department.

I doubt very much if they only use US Air. I know that Regent uses Air Canada, at least to Rio. On the other hand, when we flew to Rio, we booked our own--Air Canada to Miami, then Copa Airlines to Rio thru Panama City. Worked out well and was reasonably-priced (flew Business, which was just adequate as such, but better than coach.)

I believe if you take O's flights, without the deviation, you will be booked on their preferred airlines with connections etc (they have arrangements with-USAir) If I were you- I'd take the deviation and choose the flights you want, including AirCanada. Factor in your arrival for a day or two precruise-as a weather precaution. We ask our TA to credit the 300$ fee as a perk.

BonVoyage!

ComoCrusier: Good your flights have worked out. Oceania Air Department giveth and they taketh away: NOW I have an issue with them. The quote below is from our Papeete-Lima Roll Call. Not as big an issue as yours, but they assigned us flights months ago, and now, with no change in flight times, say that the connect times are illegal.:confused: I currently don't have much confidence that Oceania Air knows what they are doing.

We have just been informed today that our 18 Apr 2013 LAX - PPT Oceania charter flight has been switched from Air Tahiti Nui TN/725 [1:20pm-7pm] to Atlas Air 5Y/8092 [2pm-8:35pm]. The reason given was a "required" 3 hour connect time to a charter at LAX. We arrive into LAX at 11:01am on an Oceania scheduled flight on United from IAD [which BTW has a 2:59, NOT 3 hour, connect time]. I'm unclear who requires the 3 hours - standard domestic to international connect at LAX is 1:30. We have been told by the Oceania Air Department that there are [at least] two charters, as TN/725 is allegedly still running. We are not happy having a flight which is scheduled to take an hour longer, and are also not happy to be arriving that late. Oceania had given us the previous connecting reservations over two months ago, and they are just discovering now that this is allegedly a problem? Seems pretty sloppy to me, and I'm currently not very happy. Our first Oceania Air, and at this rate may be our last.

I'm guessing that we are not the only people that this is happening to; can anyone confirm?

Thom

ComoCrusier: Good your flights have worked out. Oceania Air Department giveth and they taketh away: NOW I have an issue with them. The quote below is from our Papeete-Lima Roll Call. Not as big an issue as yours, but they assigned us flights months ago, and now, with no change in flight times, say that the connect times are illegal.:confused: I currently don't have much confidence that Oceania Air knows what they are doing.
I was rather surprised to receive a nice e-mail signed by Kunal Kamlani, President of Oceania, acknowledging that Oceania made a mistake when our originating flight from IAD was canceled and they did not switch the remainder of our itinerary at that time. The connecting time was caught in the process of final ticketing, and lead to the change. I also was told that with the change to DST our Atlas Air flight will be arriving at 7:35pm.

I was impressed that based on the flight info I had provided here on CruiseCritic, they were able to figure out my "real world" name and contact me. I appreciate their diligence in addressing my issues.

Thom

To All: After reading these negative comments about the free air thru Oceania, I am really upset. We just deposited for a cabin guarantee for the now unavailable B-1. We would need a flight from Newark, NJ to Papeete then Lima back to Newark. With the air, could i expect a layover in Chicago or LA? If i want to extend a day in either direction, then i have to pay an air deviation for each way for each of us? This is already stressing me out and we have a year to go. Thanks for any help, Elaine

To All: After reading these negative comments about the free air thru Oceania, I am really upset. We just deposited for a cabin guarantee for the now unavailable B-1. We would need a flight from Newark, NJ to Papeete then Lima back to Newark. With the air, could i expect a layover in Chicago or LA? If i want to extend a day in either direction, then i have to pay an air deviation for each way for each of us? This is already stressing me out and we have a year to go. Thanks for any help, Elaine

The deviation fee is $150 r/t

Book your own air then no need to stress out you will get the flights you want

I am on the Tahiti to NYC cruise in 1 month and after alot of research opted for Oceania'a Air. Our original flight schedule was a choice of JFK to LAX to Tahiti or EWR to Phila to LAX to Tahiti. Phila ??? where did that come from? My TA complained and got us an EWR to LAX to Tahiti flight without paying a deviation. We would have liked to fly EWR to LAX a day early and then on to Tahiti but that would have entailed the $300 deviation fee. Wish us well, will be a LONG flight

• 1 month later...

Hi ComoCruiser, sorry to read you are having trouble with flights from Oceania. Our t.a.

booked us on AA from Rio with one stop in Dallas FortWorth to Vancouver for an extra $ 200.00 plus of course our air deviation fee of $300. 00 per couple. This was only a couple of weeks ago. I don't see any reason why you could not use AA. We think extra fee for us is worth it because other flights offered were horrible and with 2-3 stops..yuk. Our flight from Vancouver to Barcelona has only one stop too, did not have a charge of air differential as I suppose they have a contract with them. Looking forward to this cruise, we have never experienced a transatlantic.

Good Luck!

I am having issues with Air Deviations from Oceania for the same Barcelona to Rio cruise this November, but I am getting a lot of help and "pointers" on how this all works, including "doing it yourself" without Oceania over in the Cruise Air forum, in the "Cruise Discussion Topics" section.

I booked and paid for an Air Deviation because I am daft and didn't consider that the fare type wouldn't allow me to use points to upgrade on Delta.....but I am doing my best to work out alternatives and with the help of other posters on CC, and my TA, and yes, Oceania Air, I am sure we will get it squared away. We've got six months. And, as I keep reminding myself, the challenges of arriving at and departing from the cruise are infinitely smaller than the memories and relaxation that the cruise itself will bring.

Just a reminder. This is supposed to be FUN!

Archived