Need advice on a New Camera.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on getting a new point and shoot camera?? I already have a water camera that I love , does video and such ..Takes great pics out of water as well...But I'd like something to replace my Nikon D60..It takes unbelievable pics, but is so big!! I would love to get another Nikon but not sure where to began.. Any suggestions would be great !

I am by NO MEANS an expert in this field, but wanted a new point and shoot for our upcoming cruise. I heard Canon and Nikon are the best....I went on Best Buys website and just did a TON of research and read alot of reviews. Ended up purchasing the Canon Power Shot SX260 HS. Very Happy!!! Good luck!!!!

I dont blame you i had had the same issue I have a nikon d50. I purchased a olympus 12.1 pos digital zoom and take both I use the nikon on the ship and the pos on shore but the olympus does a better job go figure huh.....

All pos cameras in my opinion are going to be about the same

i use nikon 8 100 i used a bit of time to learn all the features. last cruise i used the back lighting for

a lot of my photos and dont have that sun glare.

est purchased to date

am hopi g to get a dsl before our diney trip

I'm not an expert by any means but absolutely love my Panasonic DMC-ZS19. It was $250 but has a great zoom lens - 20X optical and 40X digital. Being small and having a great zoom lens were the big attractions for me. I've used in all kinds of situations, always with great results ... even moving at over 65 mph from back of motorcycle. I've taken photos with even better results than my brother in law with his much larger expensive camera. I can go on and on but when I was researching, it has wonderful reviews too. My next addition is the waterproof case so I can take photos underwater of the stingrays on our next cruise! Good luck on your search!

the camera doesn't take great pictures, the photographer does...

I would suggest 1st looking at the features of the camera that you would find fun to use or most useful then looking for cameras that offer those features. Go to a local store that sells cameras that you can get your hands on and make sure you like the feel of the camera. Then if you like it, buy it ;)

i use nikon 8 100 i used a bit of time to learn all the features. last cruise i used the back lighting for

a lot of my photos and dont have that sun glare.

est purchased to date

am hopi g to get a dsl before our diney trip

We're big Disney travelers ourself, so a great camers is a must!! As well as a smaller camera! lol

If you already have a water proof camera, why not get something that does something different?

I suggest the panny 3d1.

It takes regular pics and video, but also does 3d. The 3d video from it is excellent, the pics can also be developed online for about $6 each.

If that seems like a lot, keep in mind that nothing draws your attention like a lenticular 3d print, they really look great.

The video makes you feel like you are back on your vacation.

If you don't have a 3d tv, just wait, someday you might.Otherwise, you can watch in 2d.

What you are going to get here is a bunch of people suggesting their camera, which they bought because it suits their needs. My latest purchase for my upcoming cruise is a Canon SX50. One of the major selling points for me was its 50x zoom. Our local best buy store carries it, so I was able to go in and try it. They also matched the price I found on amazon. The SX50 is not a particularly small camera but it is considerably lighter than my dslr and I don't have to carry additional lenses.

Okay, that's my 2 cents worth.

One way you might want to approach your purchase is to go to dpreview.com. There you can compare cameras side by side, read reveiws about the popular models, reviews by actual users, and in the forums, see pictures from regular people and ask questions about your choice. This is usually by starting point.

I am by NO MEANS an expert in this field, but wanted a new point and shoot for our upcoming cruise. I heard Canon and Nikon are the best....I went on Best Buys website and just did a TON of research and read alot of reviews. Ended up purchasing the Canon Power Shot SX260 HS. Very Happy!!! Good luck!!!!

I bought one a month ago from Canon USA Direct for my wife's birthday coming up. I like the fact it is also a 1080 video recorder also.

Thanks for the suggestions!! Any more keep them comin...The zoom is a big thing for me, if I can get away from bringing anything extra would be great , meaning with my D60 I always lugging around 2 lenses...The one that came with the camera and the one I call the paparatizi lense!! It is great but its so heavy!! I guess google, amazon, bestbuy and I do remember a while back goingon Dpreview site, I think that show I ened up with my water camera which is an olympus which gotta say for a water camera, takes great pics!!

What you are going to get here is a bunch of people suggesting their camera, which they bought because it suits their needs. My latest purchase for my upcoming cruise is a Canon SX50. One of the major selling points for me was its 50x zoom. Our local best buy store carries it, so I was able to go in and try it. They also matched the price I found on amazon. The SX50 is not a particularly small camera but it is considerably lighter than my dslr and I don't have to carry additional lenses.

Okay, that's my 2 cents worth.

One way you might want to approach your purchase is to go to dpreview.com. There you can compare cameras side by side, read reveiws about the popular models, reviews by actual users, and in the forums, see pictures from regular people and ask questions about your choice. This is usually by starting point.

This is probably true. It's easy to default to what you have had good experiences with. I am a manager for a major electronics retailer, and one of my departments is the digital camera department. If you have any questions I would glad to help.

This is probably true. It's easy to default to what you have had good experiences with. I am a manager for a major electronics retailer, and one of my departments is the digital camera department. If you have any questions I would glad to help.

God that would be great thanks!!! Any help would be so appreciative!! I'm looking for something that is not as big and bulky as my D60, no extra lenses would be great too....But has great zoom power, But not come out grainy..If it does video thats good but not a thing I need...I do love Nikon cameras but also my water camera is an Olympus and I love that too....I'm thinking of spending about $500... cheaper would be great!! I do take lots of pics, whether its our trips to Disney, Cruiseing or just my kids around the house.....Once again any help would be great!!

Can anyone offer any suggestions on getting a new point and shoot camera?? I already have a water camera that I love , does video and such ..Takes great pics out of water as well...But I'd like something to replace my Nikon D60..It takes unbelievable pics, but is so big!! I would love to get another Nikon but not sure where to began.. Any suggestions would be great !

You need to supply us a lot more info before you can get a useful answer - price, maximum size, pocketability, your level of expertise, what you want to take pictures of, zoom range needed, etc. My idea of a P&S might be totally different from your idea of P&S.

You can buy P&S' at prices ranging from about $100 to as much as $1000.

DON

God that would be great thanks!!! Any help would be so appreciative!! I'm looking for something that is not as big and bulky as my D60, no extra lenses would be great too....But has great zoom power, But not come out grainy..If it does video thats good but not a thing I need...I do love Nikon cameras but also my water camera is an Olympus and I love that too....I'm thinking of spending about $500... cheaper would be great!! I do take lots of pics, whether its our trips to Disney, Cruiseing or just my kids around the house.....Once again any help would be great!!

If your budget can handle $600, you can get the Sony RX100. It is the highest rated P&S, will fit in your pocket and will take photos and video that rival DSLRs.

For $300, there are several very good medium size sensor small body cameras by Olympus, Canon and Fuji.

Most of the $300 bridge cameras (p&s with large zoom) are almost the same size and weight as your DSLR, so you would probably not be happy with them.

If your budget can handle $600, you can get the Sony RX100. It is the highest rated P&S, will fit in your pocket and will take photos and video that rival DSLRs.

For $300, there are several very good medium size sensor small body cameras by Olympus, Canon and Fuji.

Most of the $300 bridge cameras (p&s with large zoom) are almost the same size and weight as your DSLR, so you would probably not be happy with them.

Thank you so much!! I think I might just have to look into the sony rx100...My biggest fear is exactly what you said, with a p&s with large zoom, that I wont be happy with it!!!....Well I got to start looking more , cause my time is ticking!!lol

If you're ok with the limited zoom, I think you'll really like the pics from the RX100. I thought the small reach would bother me more than it did, but the pictures are great and it has some interesting features. The larger sensor definitely makes a difference, and the 20mp allows you to crop in to offset the reach of the zoom. The RX100 is my always-with-me camera. (On the flipside, I did just purchase a Canon sx50, for its 50x zoom. :rolleyes:)

If you're ok with the limited zoom, I think you'll really like the pics from the RX100. I thought the small reach would bother me more than it did, but the pictures are great and it has some interesting features. The larger sensor definitely makes a difference, and the 20mp allows you to crop in to offset the reach of the zoom. The RX100 is my always-with-me camera. (On the flipside, I did just purchase a Canon sx50, for its 50x zoom. :rolleyes:)

Well definatly gonna have to look into that!! Also Iwas reading Nikonhas a new camera coming out(seems like they always are,lol) that is a P&S , but has qualities like a DSLR!! big price though....1000.:eek:

If you want a Nikon P&S, the only ones I would suggest as worthy are the P7700 or P330. However, you can probably still get a P310 on discount.

The P7700 and P330 have DSLR like controls, PSAM, a slightly larger sensor than the typical P&S (1/1.7"), and RAW file capability. The other thing about the P330 that is nice is it has a fast f/1.8 lens (although it is a variable aperture depending on focal length).

Also, the new Nikon A APS-C sensor compact is soon to be available. It has a 18mm prime lens (not zoom), and is fixed, so you cannot interchange the lens. The MSRP was lowered from $1100 to $900. This camera will probably rival some DSLRs but it is a huge premium to pay for the convenience of a small size.

I am not sure what Nikon was thinking with the MSRP. Even at $900, I doubt there will be many takers. These days, APS sensors are not that expensive.

Archived