Corkage fee question

The corkage fee mainly has to do with the wine actually getting stored in the MDR. We have in the past done as you did, bring the wine on board, ask the steward for two wine glasses, pour our wine as we leave for the MDR and sit at the table with our wine. No one ever said anything to us.

We always bring a glass of wine (or cocktail) into dinner with us. It's no big deal. You could have purchased it from a bar on board...how would they know? I've never brought an entire bottle with me, but a glass has never been a problem.

We plan to do just that...open the bottle in the cabin. Pour ourselves the wine, and take both glasses and bottle to the dining room.

I'm not cheap but not dumb either, why would I want to pay $25 corkage if I store the wine, pop the bottle and, and pour the wine.

At least that's my gameplan :D

If you bring your "carried on" wine to your cabin and open it, whats to stop you from bringing it to a bar or dining room later and claiming you've already been charged the corkage fee at a different venue?

I guess if they looked at it and did not recognize the wine or vintage - then they would know it was not purchased from the ship.

M

Has anyone had any trouble bringing on their own corkscrew to open the bottles in the room? Is this a checked or un checked baggage item

We've been bringing a corkscrew (metal type) in our checked bags for years. No problems with airline or cruise line.

We plan to do just that...open the bottle in the cabin. Pour ourselves the wine, and take both glasses and bottle to the dining room.

I'm not cheap but not dumb either, why would I want to pay $25 corkage if I store the wine, pop the bottle and, and pour the wine.

At least that's my gameplan :D

Unless it is a wine offered for sale on the ship, it might be best to just take the glasses, leaving the bottle in the room for later. Otherwise, there is a chance the "foreign" bottle will be noted you will be charged for taking the bottle to the MDR. A simple glance at your on board charges will show you have not paid "corkage".

Guest maddycat
Has anyone had any trouble bringing on their own corkscrew to open the bottles in the room? Is this a checked or un checked baggage item

You can ask your cabin attendant for a corkscrew. He'll provide that along with glasses and an ice bucket to chill your wine.

We always travel with our own corkscrew, packed in the checked luggage. Never been a problem.

I'm shocked that this thread has managed to get to #10 posts without a RCCL Cheerleader coming on and flaming this thread for being cheapskate and disgusting taking your own wine in glasses into the MDR to save money.

it is usually on here well before #10.

Ha ha ha :-). Happy cruising and wine drinking everybody !

We have always carried on bottles of wine and I always had a small corkscrew in the pocket of our checked luggage. never had a problem.

the room steward will bring you clean wine glasses daily.

Just back and here is what happened to us. We bought 2 bottles of wine in San Juan and brought them onboard in our carryon. My husband always has a travel cork screw in his shaving kit and we got 2 wine glasses from room service. We brought glasses of wine into the dining room and enjoyed it during dinner.

One night, I asked the head waiter if it was ok to bring my own bottle into the dining room and he said it was perfectly fine. He said that we wouldn't be charge the corkage fee either. Lastly, they even asked if we would like them to store it for us.

No problem!

Hmmmm. Interesting. Now that we are allowed 2 bottles I'll have to see how it works. We've purchased the wine package for this cruise but our friends haven't so I'll see if they are allowed to bring their wine bottles to dinner without the fee.

Archived