Take laptop BAG but no laptop?

Duddy

As we all know, every ounce counts when packing our checked baggage. So we are left with the question of what else do I need or want to carry on?

My question is more related to what else can I carry on that is either heavy or just won't fit in checked bags? Most airlines let you have a carry-on plus one personal item such as a purse, laptop bag or camera case.

The airlines call it a 'laptop bag', but has anyone ever used what is obviously a laptop bag as additional "luggage"? ie: Snacks, iPod, socks, etc. Will I be pulled aside for appearing suspicious when I am actually just being creative? Has anyone ever done this? I've done it, but always still had the actual laptop in the bag.

Thanks!

~Bob~

It is the size of the item that matters. A standard saying is one carry on, plus one small personal bag, like a laptop case, purse, etc. Doubt anyone will care what is in your laptop bag as long as it isn't contraband.

Unfortunately people stretch this "small personal bag or purse" into something you could carry a small teenager in. People seem to think there is unlimited space in a plane. Selfish and unfair to others.

My question is more related to what else can I carry on that is either heavy or just won't fit in checked bags? Most airlines let you have a carry-on plus one personal item such as a purse, laptop bag or camera case.

The airlines call it a 'laptop bag', but has anyone ever used what is obviously a laptop bag as additional "luggage"? ie: Snacks, iPod, socks, etc. Will I be pulled aside for appearing suspicious when I am actually just being creative? Has anyone ever done this? I've done it, but always still had the actual laptop in the bag.

Thanks!

~Bob~

I am not sure I really understand this question. You want to take a carry on and an empty laptop bag? If that's it, why do you think anyone would care? You would be within your carry on limits with those two items.

It is the size of the item that matters. A standard saying is one carry on, plus one small personal bag, like a laptop case, purse, etc. Doubt anyone will care what is in your laptop bag as long as it isn't contraband.

Unfortunately people stretch this "small personal bag or purse" into something you could carry a small teenager in. People seem to think there is unlimited space in a plane. Selfish and unfair to others.

If their "small bag or purse" can fit under the seat then it's not a problem. It becomes a problem when they put both pieces above.

I use a larger tote bag. It serves as a foot rest otherwise my feet don't touch the ground. Dangling feet become very uncomfortable after 30 minutes.

Agree w/ Rugrats...they don't care about the bag, they care about the contents. There's nothing suspicious about a laptop bag. A agent will probably ask, "Sir can you remove your laptop from the bag?" under the assumption you forgot, but that's all the scrutiny you will get.

For personal items I use a backpack with a laptop sleeve built-in. It's one less thing to carry in your hands, it fits under the seat easily, and it is very useful at your destination(s) to carry water, snacks, camera, jacket, etc. There are "security" backpacks on the market with reinforced fabrics to thwart "slit and grab" pickpocketing but that's a bit overboard for my personal taste.

Agree w/ Rugrats...they don't care about the bag, they care about the contents. There's nothing suspicious about a laptop bag. A agent will probably ask, "Sir can you remove your laptop from the bag?" under the assumption you forgot, but that's all the scrutiny you will get.

For personal items I use a backpack with a laptop sleeve built-in. It's one less thing to carry in your hands, it fits under the seat easily, and it is very useful at your destination(s) to carry water, snacks, camera, jacket, etc. There are "security" backpacks on the market with reinforced fabrics to thwart "slit and grab" pickpocketing but that's a bit overboard for my personal taste.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, this would be a personal laptop-type bag that would fit under the seat in front. My regular carry-on goes in the compartment above and would never take up unreasonable space there. Shoot, I always follow the rules regarding zone-boarding. Rarely do I ever actually have my carry-on bags remotely close to my actual seat! I usually feel like a Salmon getting off the plane if you get my analogy :eek:

~Bob~

Archived