Which luxury cruise line?

andyn2013

Excellent advice!!:)

1. I very much value personal service (i want them to know my name and my preferences)

2. I can't stand crowds.

3. I prefer not to wait in line.

4. I abhor fighting for seats (as in the mass stampede for seats in the theater on Disney ships, even if you're in concierge as there is no reserved seating)

5. I enjoy being on the ship as much as visiting the port. I can just sit by the water and drink a cup of coffee for hours and hours and hours. I find that more relaxing than anything.

6. I enjoy having a good workout room - actually, all i need is an elliptical trainer - prefererably witha view of the ocean, though the ocean view from the workout room isn't a dealbreaker.

7. I enjoy on board lectures - be it about the ports or unrelated topics. Any subject is good - everything is interesting to me.

8. I prefer a strict smoking policy, though it's not the most important thing. If a cruise line has a great lecture series, the smoking policy isn't going to be the dealbreaker.

9. i enjoy being able to go for awalk around the ship. Not jogging, just a walk. I like to walk. A lot.

what else?

With a list like that, why have you not been on Silversea yet? Just got back from 31 nights on Silver Spirit and the only thing that's not on your list is that the elliptical trainers do not have a sea view.

Mind you, I bet the other (so-called) 6 star lines would meet those criteria, too!

Also have sailed 31 days on the Spirit, alas was on your South Pacific cruise tho and we get on board again in 23 days, and then again in a little over seven months. From my experience and dozens of hours on the ellipticals in the gym over those days, and pix below, tho the view of the sea is aft, two of the ellipticals do have somewhat of a seaview (over the spa outdoor whirlpool).

http://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-spirit/public-areas/fitness-centre/

I have also left out Seadream as its been over 8 years since l was onboard. I do not feel Seadream was in the same leauge as the others as well. But thats just my personal taste.

First of all - very helpful and well-balanced overview - thanks a lot!

Why do you think, Seadream plays in a different league?

Could you please give a more detailed explanation?

Ralf

Andy, I'd just like to second everything (everything!) that Keith suggested in post #4. Follow his advice and you'll pinpoint, with confidence, the cruise line that best fits your needs. So glad you'll get Douglas Ward's book - it's an excellent tool, and great reading, too.

And UKCruiseJeff's suggestion of listing and weighting what you need (and don't need) is, as you've already found out, a terrific technique. Works beautifully for many of life's choices, not just cruising!

Jackie,

Since you are an avid reader/poster on Cruise Critic....I thought you might find it interesting how Cruise Critic rates which cruise lines are considered luxury.

Luxury Cruise Lines by Cruise Critic:

Abercrombie & Kent • American Safari • Aqua Expeditions • Azamara • Compagnie du Ponant • Cruise Asia Ltd. • Crystal • Cunard • French Country Waterways • Go Barging • Hapag-Lloyd • Hebridean • Heritage Line • Lindblad Expeditions • Oberoi Group • Oceania • Orion Expedition Cruises • Paul Gauguin Cruises • Regent Seven Seas • Sea Cloud Cruises • Seabourn • SeaDream • Silversea • Star Clippers • Travel Dynamics • Uniworld • Windstar

In the past you have dismissed Douglas Ward/Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships.

The 2013 Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships

Ward's ratings, compiled independently & unsubsidized by sponsorship, base its Berlitz stars on points for an unbiased appraisal of what's best & worst in the world of cruising.

Mid-size ships (751 to 1,750 passengers)

1. Crystal Serenity - 1,717 points

2. Oceania Riviera - 1,702 points

3. Crystal Symphony - 1,701 points

Small ships (251 to 750 passengers)

1. Hapag-Lloyd Europa - 1,852 points

2. Seabourn Quest - 1,776 points

3. Seabourn Odyssey - 1,775 points

Boutique ships (50 to 250 passengers)

1. SeaDream II - 1,788 points

2. SeaDream I - 1,786 points

3. Seabourn Legend - 1,774 points

other than Seabourne, are there any other luxury lines that are owned by Carnival?

I have a knee jerk problem with Carnival.

I know Cunard is - though i don't consider Cunard to be luxury (i've crossed the atlantic on Cunard).

..... just noticed you enjoy walking! For what it's worth one of the things we love about SS is that they were prepared to allow us to join early staff tenders so we were off early walking whilst many were still asleep. This aspect became quite important to us.

that's what we enjoy doing in port - walking around and then sitting in a cafe or the like for a coffee (apparently i drink way too much coffee).

or if the walking area isn't near the port, we'll take a taxi and then walk and then take a taxi back...

or if it's really really a must see tourist stop that i'm unlikely to get back to by land, then i'll hire a private guide for the day.

With a list like that, why have you not been on Silversea yet? Just got back from 31 nights on Silver Spirit and the only thing that's not on your list is that the elliptical trainers do not have a sea view.

Mind you, I bet the other (so-called) 6 star lines would meet those criteria, too!

before i posted this thread, i had a feeling i might most like silversea, but before i commit to one over the other, i'd like to learn more.

although, maybe i'll like all of them. I'm not really all that difficult to please (though i sound as if i am).

I'm definitely not a foodie (i'm basically a vegetarian who occasionally also eats salmon, and possibly really good trout -

i haven't eaten beef/chicken/etc for years).

And i don't drink, other than a small bit of wine with dinner.

Basically, give me a good cup of coffee and i'm really happy. :rolleyes:

`

Also have sailed 31 days on the Spirit, alas was on your South Pacific cruise tho and we get on board again in 23 days, and then again in a little over seven months. From my experience and dozens of hours on the ellipticals in the gym over those days, and pix below, tho the view of the sea is aft, two of the ellipticals do have somewhat of a seaview (over the spa outdoor whirlpool).

http://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-spirit/public-areas/fitness-centre/

That's a nice size gym for the number of people on board!! And quite nice looking as well. I'd be more than happy with that! :)

Andy, I'd just like to second everything (everything!) that Keith suggested in post #4. Follow his advice and you'll pinpoint, with confidence, the cruise line that best fits your needs. So glad you'll get Douglas Ward's book - it's an excellent tool, and great reading, too.

And UKCruiseJeff's suggestion of listing and weighting what you need (and don't need) is, as you've already found out, a terrific technique. Works beautifully for many of life's choices, not just cruising!

Bought the guide this morning! :)

that's what we enjoy doing in port - walking around and then sitting in a cafe or the like for a coffee (apparently i drink way too much coffee).

or if the walking area isn't near the port, we'll take a taxi and then walk and then take a taxi back...

or if it's really really a must see tourist stop that i'm unlikely to get back to by land, then i'll hire a private guide for the day.

Following on then .....

Our habit is to be first off in the mornings and where the ports allow, we wander. If there isn't much we generally taxi somewhere. We are early birds and like walking around places before they open and become busy.

One of the reasons why this works well for us on SS is because lunch is somewhat quieter in port and we enjoy the relative quiet of the ship and restaurants when most people are off doing trips. We feel unrushed ... and on sunny days there's less competition for outside tables, We are lunch rather than dinner people.

The more you explain the more I'm inclined to suggest you think of a smaller ship rather than larger one. In my view it gives a greater feel of exclusivity and personal service. The two mid size ie Shadow and Whisper might be worth a look as it will give you a small ship taster without going as far as Cloud or Wind.

God luck .....

Bought the guide this morning! :)

Hooray! Along with the section that rates individual ships, there's an extensive section that discusses choosing the right ship, large vs. small, new vs. old, the major mass market lines (and the cruise lines they own). And since you already have a lot of cruising experience, I think you'll find Mr. Ward's observations very meaningful. Please let us know as your decision evolves.

Thanks - yes your right. The technique can have an enormous influence on life-changing decisions and make risk etc much more polarised. If you stop yourself concluding before you complete the list and don't let the construction of the weighted list be influenced by a pre-disposition to a particular conclusion it's really powerful. Usable in so many situations.

Hopefully, it will assist Andy to home in for what is best for them rather than start at the wrong end ie start with trying to shoe-horn a cruise line/ship into a less thought through idea for what they are looking for.

Choosing a cruise line is very much like looking for a house. You can make a list of everything you want but you will never find it all. You will have to make compromises. Even if you build your house you will later regret certain things or wish you had done them differently. I say all this because sometimes I feel people turn what should be a fun decision into spread sheets and charts and lose sight of the fact that this is a vacation. No cruise line can fulfill every need or desire. No cruise line is perfect. No cruise line is the best.

Choosing a cruise line is very much like looking for a house. You can make a list of everything you want but you will never find it all. You will have to make compromises. Even if you build your house you will later regret certain things or wish you had done them differently. I say all this because sometimes I feel people turn what should be a fun decision into spread sheets and charts and lose sight of the fact that this is a vacation. No cruise line can fulfill every need or desire. No cruise line is perfect. No cruise line is the best.

So true!

Henry I agree. The only thing that you left out is that no guest is perfect.:eek:

That is so true, well put! :)

I say all this because sometimes I feel people turn what should be a fun decision into spread sheets and charts and lose sight of the fact that this is a vacation. No cruise line can fulfill every need or desire. No cruise line is perfect. No cruise line is the best.

U nailed it wripro...well said :)

Cheers

Jennifer

No cruise line is the best, however some cruise lines will be a better fit for some people than others.

No doubt you can have a nice time on many of them. But if your vacation time is limited, it makes sense to try to find the better fit in advance.

No cruise line is the best, however some cruise lines will be a better fit for some people than others.

No doubt you can have a nice time on many of them. But if your vacation time is limited, it makes sense to try to find the better fit in advance.

That is what sensible people do. ;)

Sensible people should look for the best possible fot but at some point one has to stop obsessing and go and enjoy.

No one disagrees:confused:

You really are a puzzle! You really are pursuing a suggestion no one has made apart from you.

When did anyone mention spreadsheets and charts - apart from you that is.

Calm down.;)

Archived