Avoid these weekends if driving Vancouver to Seattle

Appygirl

A lot of people rent a car after their Alaska cruise to drive from Vancouver to Bellingham or Seattle because the US airfares are so much cheaper. Some might not be aware of Canadian statutory holidays when the border traffic gets choked. By 7am there will be at least a one hour wait and it increases as the day goes on.

The US has announced cutbacks to border guards at Canada/US borders and at Canadian international airports so people flying out of Vancouver will be affected too. They estimate during peak times - holidays - it will be about a 5 hour wait at the border crossings closest to Vancouver into Washington, about double what it has been.

If your cruise ends during these busy times I'd recommend taking the Amtrak. It'll get to Seattle faster and costs about the same as the bus. The bus won't get any faster if the car line ups are choked at the border and blocking the commercial lanes.

I've included Friday because many BC'ers take a day off work and head south for the cheap shopping. Do not drive these dates from Vancouver to Seattle unless you plan to cross really late at night when the waits will be shorter:

May 17 to 20

June 28 to July 1

July 4 to 7

August 2 to 5

August 30 to Sept 2

These will be the absolute worst days to drive across the border.

It gets really stressful sitting in the border line ups for over an hour.

A lot of people rent a car after their Alaska cruise to drive from Vancouver to Bellingham or Seattle because the US airfares are so much cheaper. Some might not be aware of Canadian statutory holidays when the border traffic gets choked. By 7am there will be at least a one hour wait and it increases as the day goes on.

Good post. Since I'm not a local, can passenger cars use the truck crossing just to the east? How about the crossings at Aldergrove or even Sumas? I know they are a detour, but would they save time?

(I fly trans-border fairly often and haven't driven in years. I'm asking so the info is available to others)

Good post. Since I'm not a local, can passenger cars use the truck crossing just to the east? How about the crossings at Aldergrove or even Sumas? I know they are a detour, but would they save time?

(I fly trans-border fairly often and haven't driven in years. I'm asking so the info is available to others)

Yes, definitely. Cars can use any of the four crossings. Pacific Hwy (the one east of Peace Arch) can sometimes be worse then Peace Arch. Aldergrove doesn't open until 8am and I'm not sure about Sumas' hours although it is not nearly as convenient. Traffic at the border is usually crazy on the weekend. Just this past Saturday at 7:30am, there was already a 45-minute wait. Weekdays are better but with this overtime ban they are chatting about on the radio, it sounds as though the borders are going to be a nightmare to cross.

The US has announced cutbacks to border guards at Canada/US borders and at Canadian international airports so people flying out of Vancouver will be affected too. They estimate during peak times - holidays - it will be about a 5 hour wait at the border crossings closest to Vancouver into Washington, about double what it has been.

If your cruise ends during these busy times I'd recommend taking the Amtrak. It'll get to Seattle faster and costs about the same as the bus. The bus won't get any faster if the car line ups are choked at the border and blocking the commercial lanes.

I've included Friday because many BC'ers take a day off work and head south for the cheap shopping. Do not drive these dates from Vancouver to Seattle unless you plan to cross really late at night when the waits will be shorter:

May 17 to 20

June 28 to July 1

July 4 to 7

August 2 to 5

August 30 to Sept 2

These will be the absolute worst days to drive across the border.

It gets really stressful sitting in the border line ups for over an hour.

Thank you Appygirl for this posting! Would this situation in any way hamper the travel on 8/2 from Seattle to Vancouver? I would think not but never having crossed the border by bus, car or train, I am clueless about what to expect.

Our plans are to depart Seattle early on 8/2 for a same day sailing at 4:00.

Thank you for your thoughts on our plans.

Linda

For anyone that wants a link for real-time border waits (maybe to book mark to check before crossing) here is the SOUTHBOUND wait times for all 4 lower mainland crossings:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/ATIS/index.htm

Here is a link for NORTHBOUND wait times (not as pretty a site). Scroll to the bottom for Abbotsford (Sumas), Aldergrove (Lynden), Pacific Highway (Truck Crossing), Douglas (Peace Arch):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html

I live just north of the Aldergrove crossing and waiting in line about 1.5 hours last October on Remembrance Day to head to Bellingham. We wanted Panda Express THAT BAD (my husband is from Cali).

Thank you Appygirl for this posting! Would this situation in any way hamper the travel on 8/2 from Seattle to Vancouver? I would think not but never having crossed the border by bus, car or train, I am clueless about what to expect.

Linda

This is the start of a long weekend in BC, but the traffic will be bad going into the States, not so bad coming into Canada. Also when you cross into Canada you are going through Canadian customs, which as far as I know aren't experiencing the staff cutbacks like the U.S.

It won't be as bad going north on the Friday as it would if you were trying to go north on the Monday that weekend. Having said that I would definitely ensure you depart EARLY no matter what (might not be the border that causes a delay).

For anyone driving up 1130 AM is a good station to get border reports every 10 mins. If there is a backup and you have a map or GPS you could avoid the worst crossings.

Go to truck crossing and drive past all the cars to the duty free shop. Go in and buy a candy bar and you can cut an hour off your wait because they move you in line ahead of everyone.

Listen to am730 for crossing info, also the links above are very good. Also consider Amtrak. It is a beautiful train trip along the coast. Simply amazing train trip. Train station in Seattle is a block away from the airport train.

Also remember if you have ever had a dui in the USA you may be denied entry into Canada. (last 10 years)

I quite agree about the reasonable delays northbound.... with regard to southbound, YVR, the train station or even at Canada Place....while I think people should be aware of the " sequestration cuts" issues, at this point in time it really is to early to be trying to access the impact what impact they really are going to have on US bound traffic. To a large degree what we are reading are media assessments of what may happen.

Linda

It's also the beginning of Seafair weekend, which means the I-90 bridge will be closed for a couple of hours around mid-day (unless the budget cuts also mean no Blue Angels air show!), and that often backs up traffic on I-5 and I-405 as well. But if you're getting an early start, you should miss it.

Also remember if you have ever had a dui in the USA you may be denied entry into Canada. (last 10 years)

Good you pointed that out. Every summer there's a story or two here or on the Alaska boards about being denied entry. It sounds like the chances of getting caught are low, but you never know. Anyone with a DUI in their past heading to Canada needs to be aware of this, and what options (if any) they have to get the proper legal paperwork completed before they travel or book a cruise in the first place. Fortunately not an issue for me.

This is my favorite website for checking border line ups so save it on your smart phones website favorites and check it before leaving Vancouver and as you get closer to the border.The passenger that is, not the driver. Driving in BC using cell phones not allowed = $167 fine. Not only does it give an approximate wait and how many lanes are open it also shows a live web cam shot. http://www.borderlineups.com/

Here's the scoop for the Pacific crossing/truck crossing/176th Street. Depends on which camera angle the website is showing, if you can see a building to the right of the cars that is the West Coast Duty Free. If cars are backed up this building thats a 30 to 45 minute wait depends on how many lanes the US has open. If you can see cars past this building, that'll be at least one hour. If you can't see the end of cars down 176th Str probably 2 hours or more. If you take this crossing get into the left lane of traffic. There are only 2 lanes - right or left - until you get closer to the customs. The customers from West Coast Duty Free are merging into the right lane traffic making that line up twice as long.

The border crossings most people take are Peace Arch or the Pacific Highway aka the truck crossing where cars are welcome. They're about a mile apart. You reach either from Highway 99 from Vancouver (Peace Arch) or 176th Street (Pacific). On Hwy 99 just before the 8th Avenue exit and on 176th Street just before 8th Ave there is a display board with the border crossing times so you can make a last minute decision to go to the other.

The Aldergrove/Lynden crossing does not have a web cam. You can turn off 176th Street at 16th Avenue and follow that to 264th Street. Turn right and 2 miles to the border crossing. About a 20/25 minute drive depends if you get stuck behind a gravel truck. To reach the Abbotford/Sumas crossing you have to get off 16th before it dead ends, so 272 Street or drive a little further to Lefeuvre Rd, turn right to 8th Ave/Huntingdon Rd and head to Sumas to the border crossing there. About another 20 or 25 minutes from the Aldergrove crossing. I have taken both of these crossings as alternates when the Peace Arch and truck crossing had over 2 hour waits and I've waited over an hour to cross at both. So you have to weigh it out whether driving another 30 to 60 minutes east and then another hour wait or so is worth it.

A couple of things to note.

1. The largest chunk of additional fees on an airline ticket between Vancouver and the United States, is US 'entering the country' taxes (there are 3 now that the exemption for the 3rd was removed). It's considerably cheaper to fly USA-CANADA than the other way around. By flying out the USA to the USA, it's a domestic flight, and you're comparing apples to oranges. It's a shame for two countries that supposedly have a free trade agreement. (Europe does this WAAAAAAAAY better)

2. If you want to get an idea of what the border waits are like, the WA state dept of transport had some great charts comparing weekends/weekdays but I can't find them anywhere now. North vs south, and the comparisons of the various crossings. In a nutshell North is faster than South, Hwy15/SR543 (pacific/truck crossing) is faster than Hwy99/I5 (douglas/peace arch) and weekdays are better than weekends.

It's also the beginning of Seafair weekend, which means the I-90 bridge will be closed for a couple of hours around mid-day (unless the budget cuts also mean no Blue Angels air show!), and that often backs up traffic on I-5 and I-405 as well. But if you're getting an early start, you should miss it.

One of the best things that may happen (those of us who commute in Seattle are hoping so) due to sequestration is the cancellation of the Blue Angels and the non-closure of I-90. There is a very good chance this will not happen. The Angels have already cancelled their closest shows.

And Appygirl it was really great of you to start this thread. Lots of people will miss it and be screaming as they miss their flights. All I can say is for myself (a person who goes into BC a bunch) is, "Thank God for NEXUS!" If you live near the Canadian border and think you might cross often, get it. We hardly ever stop anymore. We just roll right through but we usually cross at Sumas. BTW: Sumas is open 24/7 but the Nexus line (which takes traffic off the main line) is only open 8-8.

• 2 weeks later...

The crossing at Sumas (about an hour east) can be up to an hour or more wait . Basically all border crossing on Canadian and American statuary can be a zoo . The crossing once school is out (late June to Labor day) can have long waits (1 hr +) or more during the week.

What about early June? We will disembark at Canada Place on Monday, 6/10 but our flight out of SeaTac has been changed to 8:35 pm that night. I was wondering if renting a car so we could sightsee a bit that day would be a viable option. Initially I had planned on the bus, but can't see us sitting in SeaTac for 6 hours with all our luggage.

What about early June? We will disembark at Canada Place on Monday, 6/10 but our flight out of SeaTac has been changed to 8:35 pm that night. I was wondering if renting a car so we could sightsee a bit that day would be a viable option. Initially I had planned on the bus, but can't see us sitting in SeaTac for 6 hours with all our luggage.

We have done just what you are contemplating except we were driving home to Seattle. There is a rental car agency within walking distance of the pier and I walked over and got the car while my DH and friends waited with our bags. Had them picked up and were driving south by 9. In Seattle area by noon. You could have an early dinner downtown and then head to SEA. Should be a nice, if long day.

DrKoob, do you recall which rental agency you used?

Thanks!

When we did it (a couple of years ago) with a place I had to walk a few miles. But there is now a Hertz agency right in Canada Place. I would use that one.

When we did it (a couple of years ago) with a place I had to walk a few miles. But there is now a Hertz agency right in Canada Place. I would use that one.

The only car rental listed at Canada Place for this season is National although other companies have had kiosks there in the Past. National's location is in the Pan Pacific which forms part of Canada Place. In my mind's eye the closest other company is Avis which is in the 700 blk of Hornby about 7 blocks from Canada Place. However, I would check with whoever you rent from and ask about a shuttle to their location.

• National had an agency right at the pier in the past
  • Dollar/Thrifty are about 4 blocks away; Seymour @ W.Hastings approx
  • Hertz show on their website an office (pickup) at Canada Place, but their office is actually 1200 block of Granville (which is 3/4 of the way to the Granville St Bridge)
  • Budget are in the 400 block of W.Georgia (about 8 blocks away)
  • Alamo show a Canada Place office, but I suspect the cars are out of their Sandman Hotel (300 block of W.Georgia) location

Early June and if you're a weekday its probably not going to be too bad, an hour or so wait at the border throughout the day. Double that + if its a weekend.

Today is Good Friday. I was watching the news at 6:30am there were already 90 minute waits at both the Peace Arch and truck crossing. It is now 7:45am and the news said 2 hour waits at both. Aldergrove is not open for another 15 minutes and there is already a one hour wait. This just gives you an idea of what stat holidays are like. People think they're getting to the border early and beating the crowds at 6am but they're not, dozens of others had the same idea! And the cars just keep coming.

Last night (Thursday) I drove within a mile to the border at 8pm. I saw the sign that gives the border waits and it was 40 minutes at both crossings.

Early June and if you're a weekday its probably not going to be too bad, an hour or so wait at the border throughout the day. Double that + if its a weekend.

Today is Good Friday. I was watching the news at 6:30am there were already 90 minute waits at both the Peace Arch and truck crossing. It is now 7:45am and the news said 2 hour waits at both. Aldergrove is not open for another 15 minutes and there is already a one hour wait. This just gives you an idea of what stat holidays are like. People think they're getting to the border early and beating the crowds at 6am but they're not, dozens of others had the same idea! And the cars just keep coming.

Last night (Thursday) I drove within a mile to the border at 8pm. I saw the sign that gives the border waits and it was 40 minutes at both crossings.

At 7:30AM today the wait was 2 hrs at the Peace Arch and Truck crossing . The Sumas crossing is 90 min wait.

Archived