Crown princess review

cpj

Just back from a overall nice cruise but with lots of issues. Ive have been on more then 20 cruises but this cruise left me with a desire to try and up scale cruise line. I book this cruise at a price that was cheaper then my first cruise in 1992 for an inside cabin and had a balcony cabin this time, but to get the same expierence I know I will have to pay more.

When we went to the buffet the first day I stood behind and elderly man who reeked from smell. I watch him load up his plate with baby shimp a proceded to eat them and lick his fingers at the same time and then handle the utencils. I look at him and told him he was contaminating everything and he look at me and said he was elite. I just told one of the servers and he change them all. You wonder why people get sick. I had the nora virus once on a cruise and it was not pleasent.

We had anytime dining and only ate in the MDR three times that took one and a half hours for food that was not very good. Had prime rib one night lamb one night and something they call fried chicken. All of it tasteless. Ate 3 nights in buffet and it was only OK. Went to crown grill one night and its was no better then and outback steakhouse at a 25 dollar surcharge. Also had lobster there and I thought there was going to be an extra charge and I wish there there would have been because they serve the same stuff they call lobster in the MDR.

Went to pub lunch in the afternoon one day and the fish was hot and very good. They use to serve shimp with it but I guess they cut back on that too. The buffet line during lunch was more slop. Never realized they could make so many things with rice. Only had breaded shrimp one day then ran out by 1pm. Also never had one breakfast the was served hot. Would have went to MDR for breakfast but they closed at 9am. Hamburgers and pizza was good and hot.

Ive noticed the decline in quality over the years but this was the worst ive ever expierence. I quess princess in order to fill up the ships has to keep the prices low but the food expierence is no longer there. I guess there customers accept this decline in quality or they pretend its good. Well I know im going to pay more for a better food that is why I book oceana in september. Anyway thanks for letting me vent and I dont think any of the mass market lines are any better. They built a lot of ships in the last 10years and there going to to keep prices down and cut back on everything.

Hi- your "review" is all about food. If that's your focus then maybe you could stay on land in somewhere like San Francisco where there are a number of really fine restaurants ( and some great scenery/day trips) for less than the price of a cruise on Oceana or Princess.

How was the ship/staff/weather/entertainment/ports and so on?

It does come off as a "rant" indeed and if it were better reasoned (and spelled) then I for one might take your opinions with more than a grain of salt.

I hope you enjoy your next cruise.

Norris

It does come off as a "rant" indeed and if it were better reasoned (and spelled) then I for one might take your opinions with more than a grain of salt.

I hope you enjoy your next cruise.

Norris

Maybe Oceania offers spelling and grammar lessons?

I really hate reading reviews like this, because it is so slanted. Apparently, OP could not find one decent thing to eat! I know that this is not true by the way because plenty of passengers have come back and reported that they had a great cruise and the food was good to great.

OP, I hope Oceania will please you better...

I just got off the Crown and do not share the OP's review. I ate in both the MDR and HC at lunch and dinner on various days. I found the food good as usual. I also ate in the Crown Grill the first full day at sea (formal night) and the seafood I had (not lobster) was quite good and a large serving. My partner had a steak (red meat eater :() and enjoyed it also not able to eat it all.

From the OP's review - he observed someone contaminating the serving utensils, told a crew member, and they swapped out all the serving utensils immediately. That's good customer service, in my book.

Re: the Pub Lunch - we've sailed Princess since they intiated the Pub Lunch, and had it with every cruise - never a problem, and I don't recall them ever having a fish and shrimp combo.

On our Crown Princess cruise in January, we noticed some issues with hot food being not so hot. Eating in the Main Dining room for breakfast and supper solved that issue.

Everyone's taste in food is different. Sorry that the OP was disappointed and hope that he finds satisfaction in the future.

I'm sorry the OP had a negative experience. However, it is the opposite of mine less than a month ago on the Crown. I thought the food was excellent and the waitstaff attentive. Never saw anyone mis-handling the utensils but it sounds like that was handled appropriately. Food is very subjective and what one person likes, another might hate.

Maybe Oceania offers spelling and grammar lessons?

I really hate reading reviews like this, because it is so slanted. Apparently, OP could not find one decent thing to eat! I know that this is not true by the way because plenty of passengers have come back and reported that they had a great cruise and the food was good to great.

OP, I hope Oceania will please you better...

You are correct I do need lessons in spelling grammar lessons' I did not critisize you my crtiicism was directed at princess and therefore do not understand why you would make fun of my spelling. I dont think Oceania cares about my grammer and spelling they only care about my money. Maybe in my next life I will as educated as you are.

I'm sorry the OP had a negative experience. However, it is the opposite of mine less than a month ago on the Crown. I thought the food was excellent and the waitstaff attentive. Never saw anyone mis-handling the utensils but it sounds like that was handled appropriately. Food is very subjective and what one person likes, another might hate.

Pam i know you cruise a lot and I also know your not cheerleader for Princess but this cruise the food was not good. Maybe I caught a bad week. Did 16 days on the Diamond last november and food was way better. I have never had problems with service on Princess but I think the servers in the MDR are way overworked.

You are correct I do need lessons in spelling grammar lessons' I did not critisize you my crtiicism was directed at princess and therefore do not understand why you would make fun of my spelling. I dont think Oceania cares about my grammer and spelling they only care about my money. Maybe in my next life I will as educated as you are.

Wish there was a 'like' button. No need whatsoever to mention anyone's spelling or grammar - so rude!

Having also sailed on Crown Princess last summer, I agree to some degree about the MDR food. Had three steak meals during the cruise and none of them were good. Also felt MDR service was not as good as usual but put that down to them having to deal with more tables. Did not go to Crown Grill or do the pub lunch so cannot comment. Horizon Court was fine and having just completed 46 nights on P&O Aurora, have to say they could take some lessons from Princess on how to run a buffet restaurant :-(

Just back from a overall nice cruise but with lots of issues. Ive have been on more then 20 cruises but this cruise left me with a desire to try and up scale cruise line. I book this cruise at a price that was cheaper then my first cruise in 1992 for an inside cabin and had a balcony cabin this time, but to get the same expierence I know I will have to pay more.

When we went to the buffet the first day I stood behind and elderly man who reeked from smell. I watch him load up his plate with baby shimp a proceded to eat them and lick his fingers at the same time and then handle the utencils. I look at him and told him he was contaminating everything and he look at me and said he was elite. I just told one of the servers and he change them all. You wonder why people get sick. I had the nora virus once on a cruise and it was not pleasent.

We had anytime dining and only ate in the MDR three times that took one and a half hours for food that was not very good. Had prime rib one night lamb one night and something they call fried chicken. All of it tasteless. Ate 3 nights in buffet and it was only OK. Went to crown grill one night and its was no better then and outback steakhouse at a 25 dollar surcharge. Also had lobster there and I thought there was going to be an extra charge and I wish there there would have been because they serve the same stuff they call lobster in the MDR.

Went to pub lunch in the afternoon one day and the fish was hot and very good. They use to serve shimp with it but I guess they cut back on that too. The buffet line during lunch was more slop. Never realized they could make so many things with rice. Only had breaded shrimp one day then ran out by 1pm. Also never had one breakfast the was served hot. Would have went to MDR for breakfast but they closed at 9am. Hamburgers and pizza was good and hot.

Ive noticed the decline in quality over the years but this was the worst ive ever expierence. I quess princess in order to fill up the ships has to keep the prices low but the food expierence is no longer there. I guess there customers accept this decline in quality or they pretend its good. Well I know im going to pay more for a better food that is why I book oceana in september. Anyway thanks for letting me vent and I dont think any of the mass market lines are any better. They built a lot of ships in the last 10years and there going to to keep prices down and cut back on everything.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your last cruise. But more importantly, I am disappointed with the remarks from your fellow CC members. Civility should be the prevailing rule on all comments here.

For some reason on this board, civility no longer exists, especially when someone disagrees with the OP. The whole purpose of this forum is for people to express their views. Food is very subjective and for some people one of the main reasons they cruise. Lighten up and remember your manners.

Having just spent 110 nights on the Emerald Princess, I can assure you that the food quality DOES change from cruise to cruise. For one item that I received every night, it changed mid-cruise and didn't improve again until I mentioned something. The food quality in December was considerably better than in November. It does happen.

I, too, get concerned when someone states their opinions and they are instantly discounted by others saying, "That wasn't MY experience". As for comments about spelling and grammar, they are clearly against the rules and are akin to showing up in a dining room in jeans on a formal night.

Archived