Camera Question

Calkacky

I will echo much of what zackiedawg just said. I cruise to take me to places where I can use my cameras. "Lugging" my DSLR around to take pictures is my idea of fun on a trip. Admittedly, I have been investing in my NEX system lately since it offers the DSLR image quality in a much lighter and less conspicuous package but I still take at least three cameras with me (P&S "dinner camera" instead of DSLR at dinner table is a spousal edict). I also carry a different kit for Caribbean walkabouts vs. Alaskan wildlife tours.

What you haul along is purely a matter of personal choice based on your enthusiasm for photography. For me, luggage limits mean keep the cameras and wash your clothes in the sink!:D

Dave

I am in the category of a photo nut as well. I typically take 4 cameras:

DSLR as my primary camera (Nikon D90).

Mirrorless as a backup (Nikon V1).

Compact Camera small enough for my pocket (Nikon P310).

Waterproof compact camera for beach days (Olympus 8010).

My compact camera has PSAM (Program, Shutter and Aperture Priority, Manual) modes, and I can't seem to get along with a camera without that feature. My waterproof camera cannot do PSAM, and it has an annoying habit of getting water spots on the lens, so the waterproof camera is strictly for beach days.

The last cruise was the first one I went without a pocket camera (other than the waterproof camera), and found I missed a few shots as I don't usually carry the DSLR around the ship (except for the times when I want to get ship photos). I do take the DSLR on excursions, and usually in the mornings when we approach a port, I take the DSLR up on deck.

So sometimes just walking around the ship, going to dinner, etc. I realized I could not live without at least a true pocket camera. The mirrorless is just a bit too large to be a true pocket camera, so I ended up buying a compact camera with PSAM modes that was small enough to actually fit into my pocket after our last cruise.

And in addition to a backup, the mirrorless is nice if I am going on an excursion where the DSLR might get damaged or stolen (zip lining, etc) - then I will take the mirrorless as a primary camera. But this only happens perhaps one day out of the cruise.

And my wife carries our video camera. She is pretty much a novice and has no real desire to learn about cameras, and I really like taking photos rather than video anyway. The camcorder is easier for her to use than the video mode of a camera. It is a Sony CX260, and all she needs to do is to open the screen panel (which turns the camcorder on), then depress the record button.

I have insurance on the DSLR (but none of the other cameras as they are not very expensive). I figure why own a camera if you never use it. So rather than being afraid of it being lost or stolen, I don't have to worry as I have it insured.

But I do compromise a bit as I only take a couple of lenses with the DSLR. I carry a Tokina 11-16mm superwide, a Nikon 18-200mm, and if I feel the need, possibly additional lenses. But at least the minimum gear is those two lenses.

Oh and if I add my cell phone and Android Tablet, I guess that is 2 more cameras - but I really never use those for cameras.

P&S are getting pretty good as our smartphone. Unless one blows up the prints to huge size, need lightening fast focus, or shoot super wide or super long P&S should be good for almost everything.

Going to the beach.. take the cheap P&S, doing something where capturing the exact moment is priceless and or want that IQ.. DSLR can actually be matched many times by smaller and cheaper cameras.

I have a DSLR camera and a high zoom small camera that takes really good pics. Initially, I was just planning on bringing my small camera so I didn't have to lug around my big one or worry about it getting stolen if I was laying by the pool and decided to take a dip or when on excursions and I get in the ocean. I'm starting to think I might regret not having the big one. What are your thoughts? Is it really a big deal to have your DSLR with you all the time cause that's pretty much how I'd be. I'm a HUGE picture taker. Any advice, thoughts or comments is appreciated.

If you want excellent images, your DSLR is a must. If you want to capture items at a distance, then add that extra zoom lens. Carry a P&S for unforeseen opportunities to capture a plate of amazing food in the dining room, funny pictures around the pool, a colorful bar drink, etc. where your large DSLR would be inappropriate.

Add a laptop, plus external hard drive, to download and backup all images.

Add Adobe Lightroom to evaluate and adjust images.

If you use your smartphone to take images out of the country of origin, you are facing some $$$ charges just to turn it ON (it will charge you for just updating the date/time on the phone).

My choices: DSLR Olympus I-5 with normal zoom and telephoto zoom

P&S: Canon S100 shoots RAW

I carry a small portable scanner for all of those menus that follow-on cruisers like to see before they board.

I am a pretty serious photographer, but not as serious as my idols: Zackiedawg & Pierces! :D I've found lately though that the weight of the DSLR with the various lenses I would need have become a problem on an airplane trip where I have to lug the backpack for miles. Here's my plan for my upcoming trip:

Sony RX100 - pretty close to DSLR quality and able to use higher ISO settings than my DSLR, but not much reach

Canon SX50 - this has the reach, still new to me so we'll see how happy I end up with the quality

Olympus Tough 6000 - the waterproof beach cam

In most cases, the question of whether you need the DSLR depends on what you plan to do with the pictures and what you like to take pictures of. Most p & s will do pretty well with outdoor, well lit scenes. The indoor shots will be harder. If your end result for your pictures is a photo book with 4" pictures or a slide show on a picture frame, you probably wouldn't see much difference. For me, a few choice pictures will be entered for camera club competitions, projected on a 6 ft screen but reduced to 1400 x 1050 pixels. Pictures from my RX100 work great for this, and probably many from the SX50 will be acceptable. A greater percentage will go into a photobook, so I know I'll have plenty of shots good enough for this, even with minimal editing.

Thanks everyone for your input. After reading your thoughts, I really think I need to take both cameras. I'm afraid I will regret it if I don't. Thanks to those who suggested personal property insurance. I like the suggestions you make, Crew News. I think what you suggest will work.

Archived