After reading many posts complaining about "X" at least we don't cruise Carnival.

A Sixth?

Carnival has a better record of taking care of it's customers when things go wrong.

Read the many unhappy posts about the Century's propeller in the Med a couple of years ago or the many break downs of the M Class ship's Azipods. Not many were congratulating Celebrity on there responsive customer service. I wish it weren't so ....

I feel that commenting on the misfortune of others and in the interests of not tempting fate it's best to keep quiet! LOL I am afraid I was here when there were lots of stories of Mermaid pod bearing failures on the M-Class ships and Century hitting its propeller on rocks. I was on Azamara Quest 10 days before an engine room fire left it adrift in the Sulu Sea. Like I said better not tempt fate. It can happen anywhere.

Phil

I feel that commenting on the misfortune of others and in the interests of not tempting fate it's best to keep quiet! LOL I am afraid I was here when there were lots of stories of Mermaid pod bearing failures on the M-Class ships and Century hitting its propeller on rocks. I was on Azamara Quest 10 days before an engine room fire left it adrift in the Sulu Sea. Like I said better not tempt fate. It can happen anywhere.

Phil

I know what you mean... I've been on not one BUT TWO cruise ships that sank after I was on them!!! TWO!!!:eek::eek::eek:

SFF6_SeaBreeze.jpg

Resize_of_Sea_Diamond-31.jpg

Carnival has a better record of taking care of it's customers when things go wrong.

Read the many unhappy posts about the Century's propeller in the Med a couple of years ago or the many break downs of the M Class ship's Azipods. Not many were congratulating Celebrity on there responsive customer service. I wish it weren't so ....

I remember the mermaid pod problems.

It seemed like it went on for years.

I've enjoyed my Carnival cruises truthfully (but I cruised a cheap Greek line and even that was fine, haha). The one planned next month wasn't my choice and for our family cruise next year they're the only line that changes diapers in the Kids Club or we'd definitely be looking at another line. I think I want to try RCCL but the whole fee for a steak in the MDR rubs me wrong, lol.

I'm psyched to try other lines though and am pretty sure we'll be switching completely once our kids hit the 4/5 age range.

I have sailed Carnival a few times ... as recently as Dec. 2012.

What I didn't like was too many kids ... 1200 on our cruise ... this was December ... the week before Christmas. There were little kids running in the hallway at 3:30 am! Little kids, maybe 5 or 6.:confused:

On our last two cruises there were loud, drunken arguments in the hall.

The cruise was cheap, though. LOL:D

I know what you mean... I've been on not one BUT TWO cruise ships that sank after I was on them!!! TWO!!!:eek::eek::eek:

You might want to put your past cruises in your signature as a public service announcement:D That is crazy!

Holy cow, really? Again? So have most of the "disasters" been Carnival realted the past few years? I have to admit that Im a bit of a anxious traveler (flying, leaving the country, etc) and this ads to the tension of our upcoming cruise on the Silouette on 3/24. Does Celebrity have a good track record? Almost booked on Carnival, soooooo glad I didnt now!

Yes, between the three Carnival ships and sad Costa crash, it has been bad, bad times for that cruising empire during the past two and a half years. Many forget that the Carnival Splendor is a smaller, modified version of the Concordia class cruise ship, operated by Costa and owned by the Carnival Corporation. Remember its history back to late 2010 off of the Pacific Coast? See more below!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 123,289 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a view of the now “infamous” Carnival Splendor as photographed from our ship during a July 2008 Baltics cruise. The first picture shows this large ship (3000 passengers) docked in Copenhagen with some church dome/towers in the background. We also saw the Splendor docked in St. Petersburg. This ship commenced sailing in 2008. It is smaller, modified version of the Concordia class cruise ship, operated by Costa. On November 8, 2010, on the second day of a voyage from Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera, the ship experienced a fire in her engine room, cutting all electrical power. The rest was history, sadly!:

CPHSpendorDockedDenmark.jpg

You reminded me of the English entertainer who was the hero of the hour when Oceanos sunk off the coast of Africa in 1991. He organised the evacuation of the passengers whilst all of the officers went off to save themselves. He was working on the cruise ship Achille Lauro in 1994 when it caught fire and sank.

Phil

Most of the ships that have problems are older ones. Carnival still sails ships built in the 1990's.

An equipment malfunction can occur on any ship, but its more likely on those old boats.

Once you experience a new ship, ( Solstice class ) , Its hard get back on an old ship.

Celebrity's Summit and Constellation are older ships and are fantastic! It is all in how a company views it's investments...they either put some money back into the business or not. And apparently Carnival is not.

You might want to put your past cruises in your signature as a public service announcement:D That is crazy!

My advise is don't sail on the SEA Diamond or SEA Breeze.... oh wait you can't!!!:p

FWIW Those are the only ships I sailed on (that I remember) where "SEA" began the name of the ship....:p

You reminded me of the English entertainer who was the hero of the hour when Oceanos sunk off the coast of Africa in 1991. He organised the evacuation of the passengers whilst all of the officers went off to save themselves. He was working on the cruise ship Achille Lauro in 1994 when it caught fire and sank.

Phil

The big dif is that Moss Hills WAS on a sinking ship.

I just cruised on them BEFORE they had a really bad day. :p

Our Millennium cruise was cancelled back in 2006 (I think that was the year).

I certainly did congratulate the way Celebrity handled our cancelled cruise.

They gave us a refund and a 100% credit towards another cruise. What's to complain about that?

Granted we did not have airfare or transfer refunds or cancellations,

ours was just the cruise, but we thought they were more than fair.

Our Millennium cruise was cancelled back in 2006 (I think that was the year).

I certainly did congratulate the way Celebrity handled our cancelled cruise.

They gave us a refund and a 100% credit towards another cruise. What's to complain about that?

Granted we did not have airfare or transfer refunds or cancellations,

ours was just the cruise, but we thought they were more than fair.

Refund and 100% credit is better than Carnival's refund and 25% credit .. or is my business degree too old and the math has changed? :p

I enjoyed Carnival for quite a while and I'll still take my kids on them...maybe. Like someone else said, they got us hooked on cruising.

The service was always excellent and the food was, quite frankly, better than any other line we sailed. All that stopped the last couple of cruises. Dining room servers way too rushed, food not so great, the service in general on the Glory last year was substandard.

I don't know that these current problems are related to being cheap on maintenance, ships have problems from time to time. Splendor was definitely human error and it will be interesting to see what they come back with after the Triumph issue has been fully investigated. I do know the crew handled it very well and that speaks highly of them.

I'm just happy to be back on Celebrity in two days and it may be time to branch out after that. I like to cruise so once I'm on a ship, I'm usually pretty content.

Unbelievable...

Carnival cruise ship stuck at port with generator problem

The Dream is stuck in St Martin. Apparently for awhile there were no toilets or elevators. :eek:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5257

http://news.yahoo.com/carnival-cruise-ship-stuck-port-generator-problem-125959618--finance.html

We have sailed with Celebrity for several years. Usually we do a couple of cruises a year and have never had any real issues. If something hasn't been right we have contacted the home office and they have always made it right. Nothing is perfect and there is no way Celebrity or any other cruise line is going to make 2500 people happy all the time. I think for the money Celebrity does a great job. If someone wants a luxury cruise then they should be prepared to pay luxury prices.

The Carnival situation is a mess. When failures become commonplace, I think it means that Carnival is not investing in maintenance. Doing the minimum does not always equate to having a well maintained ship. I am glad we do not own Carnival stock. While I think these incidents may turn some of from trying cruising, I think it will make others shift to Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, HAL and NCL. It will be interesting to see if people are leaving Carnival for other cruise lines, how it will impact the pricing and offers from Celebrity.

As a Celebrity and a Carnival cruiser all I can say is Carnival better get their ship issues taken care of as I'm sure that this will impact those that might have considered a 1st cruise. I do have a group cruise booked with Carnival on the Freedom for Oct. and I have NO worries. In cruising as in life in general stuff happens and you have to be able to just bump and roll with it.

I cruise on Carnival when that is what the others in my group are willing to spend - and for the money the ships we sail are older although spotlessly maintained. The service is always good and their room stewards are the best we've ever had, including Celebrity. The mood is more formal on Celebrity but the food is the same - not better - not worse than Celebrity.

In any company when these types of issues keep happening - someone isn't doing their job at the top - sounds like they need to "clean house" and get themselves back on track.

The Carnival situation is a mess. When failures become commonplace, I think it means that Carnival is not investing in maintenance. Doing the minimum does not always equate to having a well maintained ship. I am glad we do not own Carnival stock. While I think these incidents may turn some of from trying cruising, I think it will make others shift to Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, HAL and NCL. It will be interesting to see if people are leaving Carnival for other cruise lines, how it will impact the pricing and offers from Celebrity.

Ummm, Princess and Holland America are owned by Carnival Cruise Lines. . .

Archived