What To Bring Aboard "Just Incase of Engine Failure...."?

Bobroo

I was wondering if some fellow cruisers who have been on ships that have had engine/generator trouble that always seems to be in the news; could chime in with suggestions of items that wished they had brought along with them.

We all can imagine the despair that occurs when your grand time on the high seas turns into a camping trip. But other than packing a flashlight, what else should the rest of us be bringing aboard in anticipation of the worst???

I was wondering if some fellow cruisers who have been on ships that have had engine/generator trouble that always seems to be in the news; could chime in with suggestions of items that wished they had brought along with them.

Obviously, a spare engine/generator. ;)

Flashlight, passport, credit card, bottled water, protein bars, cell phone. Good attitude.

Half dozen medium sized trash bags. Prilosec, Xanax, Ambien. Keep at least one cell phone > 50% charged. Bring something that will keep your family amused that doesn't require electricity. Good attitude. Oh did someone mention that already?

I'm a bit of a prepper anyway and at least for me if some kind of bad thing happens and I've done at least some kind of minimal preparations, I'm not nearly as stressed as when something catches me with my pants down and I'm tormenting myself with shoulda coulda wouldas.

In the opening scene of The Simpsons, Marge is buying "Fretful Mother" magazine. I hope I'm not turning into the male equivalent of that, but I do like to take a few common sense precautions especially as I travel a lot for business.

I already have a flashlight and some snacks along, and other essentials already mentioned.

The only extra precautions I might take is to have at least a week's worth of any prescription meds needed; usually I have plenty along anyway, and only the two glaucoma meds are something I wouldn't want to miss. I'll survive without my allergy spray.

Maybe these might be useful:

Davis telescoping boat paddles are ideal for smaller boats, day sailors, and inflatable boats. Many states now require paddles on board smaller boats and personal watercraft. Telescoping paddles extend from 20 inches to 3 feet 9 inches. Available as a combination paddle with boat hook on the non bladed end for easier docking and launching. Both paddles have a bright orange blade making them suitable for use as an emergency signaling aid.

oars.jpg.73348ad7c0f32e49ad992573463e51f1.jpg

We leave on a Carnival ship two weeks from today. :eek: Actually, ship happens, and we've had it happen to us a number of times, so I'm not really *worried*, just mulling.

We always take games with us. Like Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, etc. DH is a freak and packs them without their boxes in his suitcase. We also take playing cards. We play a form of Canasta that takes multiple decks.

I will also take a 'real' book that I have always meant to read but not gotten around to. This time it will be "Les Miserables". Nice and big and meaty. I have become so Nook-dependent! I want something that doesn't need a battery.

We have been taking flashlights with us ever since an unfortunate incident in a hotel during a business trip with a malfunctioning furnace at 3am.

And I will be taking extra plastic bags. Better safe than sorry. Shrug.

Robin

A balcony cabin

I have to smile at your answer. I always say when talking to people about this type of situation that anyone that hasn't got a balcony is the one most likely to suffer the most. Fresh air is pretty darned important especially if things are warming up inside... and I'm not talking heat. It is also the natural light.

Agree with most of the above. Credit card, passport, snacks and snackbars, extended medicine and money. I also throw in baggies which can be used multi purpose. You can pack/sort your clothing in them but in case of emergency, they can be used as ummmm a storage area for something that can no longer go down the toilet. While not a pleasant idea, it will help contain the smell which was a major thing people were complaining about.

I never thought of a flashlight, but then I've got that big window. We also bring non electronic games with us. The travel size. We bring an portable clock. We usually have plenty of drinks that if used carefully would carry us through.

I've also got my DH, DS and DSIL who would immediately be sent to scavenge whatever they could find on the ship that would keep for the kids. Us adults can struggle though having less food but not the kids. Honestly, if the power went out that would be the first thing I would do.

Archived