Mega Cruise ships....how big is too big?

Macadian

I haven't been on any of the larger mega ships yet, but my concern is feeling like I can try everything I want to try on the ship during one cruise and not having to come back because there wasn't enough time on board to get to everything on the ship. Not that I'm opposed to sailing the same ship twice, but I want to see the other ships...

Why, when the US government gives loans, etc, to industries in the US that are not competitive world-wide (steel, automotive, most manufacturing) due to the need to pay a "living wage" to US workers, should the maritime industry be left out of protection from foreign competition, just to allow cruisers to have more inexpensive cruises. Why do people not follow the "buy local" philosophy when cruising?

So please tell me what mainstream cruise line sails with a US flagged ship other than the NCL's Pride of America? :confused:

To put it into simple terms...

-There should be a ship for everyone on every line.

-There needs to be different sized ships so there is a better variety for port options.

-Everyone who says they will never sail on a behemoth ends up getting lured in somehow and LOVE it.

-I just like to sail the newest and best, why wouldn't you want to experience amazing venues?! :rolleyes:

I'd agree with your first point. In fact, that's one of the reason those of us in the north would like to see a FUNCTIONAL winter cruise ship for ourselves. There should be something for everyone. Absolutely! ;)

I'd also agree with the second point. I'm not saying not to have some larger ships, but it bothers me that the last FOUR (two out and two coming) from NCL are megaships, and I'm not seeing any smaller ships on the docket to replace the ones that will outlive their lives eventually. I'm sad to say I am dreading the day that all NCL will have is larger ships (and some of the other cruise lines as well), and those of us who enjoy a smaller venue will be SOL unless we want to go to one of the European microship companies, especially since megaships cannot port everywhere. I'll feel better when I see SOMEONE not known for tiny ships put another smaller ship into production.

I'm not sure your third point is correct. Sorry. I'm unlikely to get lured onto a megaship, because the idea of being on a ship with 6000 people practically gives me hives, regardless of the fact that there is also more space for those people on it. I've looked at Breakaway, and to be honest...I'm not really inspired to try it at all. Other people I talk to don't trust being on a 17 story building at sea. My PT commented only yesterday that she finds the idea of a ship that big frightening and wouldn't even consider booking on it. For some people, intimate is better. I'd rather go to the theater to see a Broadway show. If I want to see Blue Man Group, they're local to me. When I go on a cruise, it's to see the destinations, not to have water roller coasters on board the ship or see a Broadway show. We all cruise for our own reasons and have our own comfort levels. So, while megaships have advantages for people who want to make the ship itself the destination, it doesn't work as well for someone like me.

DML

So please tell me what mainstream cruise line sails with a US flagged ship other than the NCL's Pride of America? :confused:

None. Which is just my point. Without the PVSA, even the POA would not be US flag. But those who decry the safety issues on cruise ships, and expect to apply US laws to cruise ships (remember all the rape and assault cases on Miami based ships?) should lobby with their pocketbooks to create an economic incentive to have US flag and US crewed cruise ships.

I am not interested in sailing on the mega ships, way too many passengers; I'll stick to those under 2,500 passengers. If all the "smaller" ships disappear, I guess I'll have to find other ways to spend my vacation dollars.

Its all relative 4000 passengers on a ship2 times bigger than a 2000 passenger's = same space we found the epic not as crowded as the pearl or sun in main areas. Still like the smaller ships though.

I'd agree with your first point. In fact, that's one of the reason those of us in the north would like to see a FUNCTIONAL winter cruise ship for ourselves. There should be something for everyone. Absolutely! ;)

I'd also agree with the second point. I'm not saying not to have some larger ships, but it bothers me that the last FOUR (two out and two coming) from NCL are megaships, and I'm not seeing any smaller ships on the docket to replace the ones that will outlive their lives eventually. I'm sad to say I am dreading the day that all NCL will have is larger ships (and some of the other cruise lines as well), and those of us who enjoy a smaller venue will be SOL unless we want to go to one of the European microship companies, especially since megaships cannot port everywhere. I'll feel better when I see SOMEONE not known for tiny ships put another smaller ship into production.

I'm not sure your third point is correct. Sorry. I'm unlikely to get lured onto a megaship, because the idea of being on a ship with 6000 people practically gives me hives, regardless of the fact that there is also more space for those people on it. I've looked at Breakaway, and to be honest...I'm not really inspired to try it at all. Other people I talk to don't trust being on a 17 story building at sea. My PT commented only yesterday that she finds the idea of a ship that big frightening and wouldn't even consider booking on it. For some people, intimate is better. I'd rather go to the theater to see a Broadway show. If I want to see Blue Man Group, they're local to me. When I go on a cruise, it's to see the destinations, not to have water roller coasters on board the ship or see a Broadway show. We all cruise for our own reasons and have our own comfort levels. So, while megaships have advantages for people who want to make the ship itself the destination, it doesn't work as well for someone like me.

DML

Agree on various points...disagree that big ships are frightening..I find small ships way too dangerous in heavy seas...also, the engines & techs on ships pre 2000-2005 are not as safe as newer ships are...it felt more crowded on the NCL Sky ( 77,000 tons) , or the Pearl ( 93,000), than it did on the Oasis ( 225,000 ), or even the Liberty Of The Seas ( 160,000 )....I too, don't care for roller coasters on ships, or EVEN rock climbing walls for that matter..BUT, these mega ships are NOT for couples or singles, they really are for families....we do not have kids- we got married late ( I was 43, she 41 ), but I like options..options for dining and options for both entertainment and pool areas..for that, you need large ships.. And yes, you are correct in saying the ships have become the destination now..and think about this: before when you cruised as a family on a small ship ( 50,000-80,000 tons, say..), on a port day, you GOT OFF THE SHIP, no matter what because there was nothing to do on a ship then...now, new ships have special pool areas for BOTH kids and adults..so if you don't want to get off at Nassau or Jamaica for whatever reason, you can hang out on the ship and enjoy the ship's facilities. ..remember what I said in my previous post: "DON'T KNOCK IT TILL YOU TRY IT!"..I didn't try lobster OR shrimp till I was 40 because I thought I would hate it...what an idiot I was! Tried it one day and the rest is history- now I love & eat both anytime I can...Think about this: How bad can a cruise with 20+ dining options, more shows to enjoy, more bars & lounges to enjoy be?? You try it, and IF you still don't like the mega ship life, then fine...Variety is the spice of life- that includes cruise ships IMO....

Big Al

Agree on various points...disagree that big ships are frightening..I find small ships way too dangerous in heavy seas...also, the engines & techs on ships pre 2000-2005 are not as safe as newer ships are...it felt more crowded on the NCL Sky ( 77,000 tons) , or the Pearl ( 93,000), than it did on the Oasis ( 225,000 ), or even the Liberty Of The Seas ( 160,000 )....I too, don't care for roller coasters on ships, or EVEN rock climbing walls for that matter..BUT, these mega ships are NOT for couples or singles, they really are for families....we do not have kids- we got married late ( I was 43, she 41 ), but I like options..options for dining and options for both entertainment and pool areas..for that, you need large ships.. And yes, you are correct in saying the ships have become the destination now..and think about this: before when you cruised as a family on a small ship ( 50,000-80,000 tons, say..), on a port day, you GOT OFF THE SHIP, no matter what because there was nothing to do on a ship then...now, new ships have special pool areas for BOTH kids and adults..so if you don't want to get off at Nassau or Jamaica for whatever reason, you can hang out on the ship and enjoy the ship's facilities. ..remember what I said in my previous post: "DON'T KNOCK IT TILL YOU TRY IT!"..I didn't try lobster OR shrimp till I was 40 because I thought I would hate it...what an idiot I was! Tried it one day and the rest is history- now I love & eat both anytime I can...Think about this: How bad can a cruise with 20+ dining options, more shows to enjoy, more bars & lounges to enjoy be?? You try it, and IF you still don't like the mega ship life, then fine...Variety is the spice of life- that includes cruise ships IMO....

Big Al

And as I said in my last post, "To each his own." I don't have to try a big ship to make you feel validated and suggesting that is necessary is rather presumptuous of you. I already know I don't tend to like that sort of venue, so there's no reason for me to try it just to see if this particular one is different enough from other big venues to put me at ease. I have plenty of opportunity to see shows, try different types of cuisine, and hit amusement parks without doing it aboard ship. There's no crime in the fact that it's simply not a draw for me. And there's no reason for you to try and change my mind about it.

Nor is there a problem with the fact that my PT finds it scary. Saying she shouldn't find it scary won't make her NOT find it scary. Your sensibilities do not apply to every person in the world. In fact, when looking at the climbing course on Breakaway, my two daughters said there was no way they would consider doing that, and my son commented that it looked cool...for someone else. None of them are comfortable with the idea of being 16 or 17 stories or more up in open air, even near the rail on the deck. My youngest specifically stated she would not stay in a room that had a balcony, because she gets vertigo and panic attacks when near an edge that, especially if it's more than a few stories up. I have a lot better chance of getting her aboard a small ship like Dawn than a big one. When someone is phobic, whether is aeroagoraphobic or whatever you're phobic of, telling them not to fear just won't cut it.

For what it's worth, I do have children (obviously)...three teens. They're a mixed bag, since my two older ones think the water roller coasters look interesting (but no better than they've had elsewhere), but the youngest won't even consider getting on one. Most of what they want to do is available on both big ships and small...pool, hot tub, library, teen club, places to eat, the occasional show... And motion doesn't bother them, since they've all been on smaller vessels since they were toddlers. The only thing they've seen aboard Breakaway that would be of particular interest to them would be mini-golf, and they can do that right here in town. When we go on a vacation, they want things they can't do anytime. You like options, and that's fine for you. If the options we want are available on smaller ships, there's not as pressing a reason for us to go against our comfort levels to seek out more options we're not searching for or interested in. If it was the ONLY choice, I might try it (probably without the kids, since my youngest is so sensitive), but as long as I have a choice, I'll vote with my pocketbook to stick with the smaller ships.

It's really too bad that you didn't try lobster until you were in your 40s, but don't equate that to my choices. IMO, choosing not to go on a big ship, because I know my travel likes and dislikes, is much more like my choice to not eat crawfish, because I'm allergic to crab. I HAVE a basis for my choices, despite the fact that you wish to deny they exist.

DML

Considering the fact that the Majesty, although really small and out of dateby todays standards, is still my all time favorite ship, think the smaller ships are just fine for us. However, I would think it would be fun to just try one of the mega ships to see what they are like. I think of the disembarkment with all those people. Do they have a different plan for things like that?

Ncl could have the East Coast ship call at Bermuda or the Bahamas for its foreign port,

This might work for closed loop or return to same port itineraries but one way up/down the cost port hopping would require a "distant foreign port" which those don't qualify as. The Hawaii and Alaska one-ways originate in a foreign port (Ensenada or Vancouver) so I've wondered if an originating (or destination) port in Canada (St. John's or Halifax) would work - summer anyway. Say between Canadian Maritimes and Bahamas.

When I saw the thread title about Mega Cruise Ships something else entirely came to mind. All the ships out there now I would just call really large. To my mind's eye a MEGA ship would be a pair of 2,000 foot "ships" bridged by a 4-5 deck platform maybe half a mile wide catamaran style. With room for a 9 hole golf course or perhaps a VSTOL landing strip. Possibly incorporate Residensea - "The World" type apartments for permanent residents. Perhaps 10,000 - 15,000 cruisers & residents -plus crew. Port calls made by "normal" cruiseship sized tender/ferries that dock "under the span". The big ship might not ever enter territorial waters except for repairs. Dry dock would have to be a drainable harbor (somewhere with big tides?) but catamaran design would make cradle issues a lot easier due to self balancing. It might stay put off the coast for a few weeks at a time being its own destination (like Atlantis in Bahamas) then change market following the weather (or avoiding it).

Don't think just Big - dream really MEGA! :D

I was on the Allure for my honeymoon and we never had long lines. We went from the curb to being on the ship in about 10-15 mins. The worst line was was for the elevators after the muster drill.

My first NCL cruise was on the Star and I enjoyed it a lot. But, when I went on the Epic, I was shocked at much easier it was to navigate the ship, how uncrowded it generally felt (and this was Thanksgiving week), and how little waiting I had to do. It's been said before, but I still feel that it is true - the bigger ship felt smaller (in occupancy) than the smaller ship.

So, while I understand the belief that a big ship has nothing to offer, I do think many people would be surprised.

We have been till now, on the smaller class of cruise ship such as the Spirit and Sun (around 2000 passengers). I can't say the new class of ships such as 'Breakaway' (4000 or so passengers) appeal to me in the slightest. On our last cruise (this month) on the 'Sun' this was a matter of discussion with fellow cruisers. Consensus among most of those we talked to was that we were not alone. I guess for familiys the new ships are appealing in the facilities they offer, but for us old timers, big is not best.

Any thoughts?

In my opinion as well, bigger is NOT BETTER. I think that the Jewell Class ship is big enough.

Having been on the Jade, which clocks in at 93,000 tonnes, I didn’t find the 155 000 tonne Epic to be that much bigger to be honest, maybe it’s because the design avoids really big interior spaces like the Oasis of the Seas class vessels. There’s no massive dining room on the Epic, no massive theatre so it never feels like that much bigger a ship, because people are spread out around the vessel. I actually though the top deck of the Epic wasted a lot of space around the Haven area and the section that leads to Spice H20, they could have done more with it.

There is a certain something that is lost though in the bigger vessels, maybe it’s not quite as much of a feeling of community (especially if a vessel has multiple embarkation points) and I missed some of the little touches (e.g. cold towel and glass of water on each return to the ship).

Archived