Mega Cruise ships....how big is too big?

Macadian

We have been till now, on the smaller class of cruise ship such as the Spirit and Sun (around 2000 passengers). I can't say the new class of ships such as 'Breakaway' (4000 or so passengers) appeal to me in the slightest. On our last cruise (this month) on the 'Sun' this was a matter of discussion with fellow cruisers. Consensus among most of those we talked to was that we were not alone. I guess for familiys the new ships are appealing in the facilities they offer, but for us old timers, big is not best.

Any thoughts?

I for one totally agree with you. By far the big selling point for Mega-ships seem to be the large scale entertainment - Broadway type shows, name star acts, large production entertainments, as well as variety and types of onboard activities.

Personally, I like the smaller ships' smaller venues - I prefer a good jazz quartet, piano bar, wine cellar to huge shows. I truly wish more cruise lines were building 2000-2500 passenger ships so the quality of the ship stays high. They also have the advantage of being able to dock rather than tender at smaller port, and take advantage of other ports where the big floating hotels just can't be accommodated.

I really wish there were more ships that could sail from smaller ports like Baltimore.Only older ships on very limited number of lines still sail from there, and a limiting factor really is the age of the ships that do still make it under the Key Bridge. I would sail more if the cost of airfare wasn't doubling my cost. And if winter cruises were not complicated by the need to travel 2 or 3 days before a sail date to be sure weather and cancelled flights didn't prevent me getting on the ship in time. (adding more cost and time to travel) The northeast has a potential client base that would surely make building a new small ship worthwhile.

A smaller ship built to accommodate the northern US ports - with indoor heated pool so you could enjoy from day one the "I'm on a cruise" atmosphere when sailing from the northeast in the winter - that would be my dream new ship!

We hadn't cruised for a few years, and last year we booked the Pearl in Alaska for this August.

As we will be going with our Son, we thought we should go somewhere last year as well, so we could see whether he enjoyed it or not. Being from the UK we wanted something in Europe so we went on the Epic last June.

Before going, we were very sceptical about whether we would enjoy it or not, due to the size. However, we all enjoyed it so much that we're booked again this year. It isn't just because of the family activities, as we enjoyed just relaxing in the Atrium, or in some quieter bars. The size means that whilst there is a lot going on there are also many quiet areas as well.

The point is that, whilst people may not like the big ships, you may be surprised. I'm glad I gave it a go.

Our cruise on the Jewel in December will be our biggest ship to date and our first on NCL. Have done several HAL and Celebrity cruises in smaller ships, but we find on longer cruises with lots of sea days they become boring. Even our last HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, HAL's biggest ship, got boring on the sea days just not enough to see or do other than eating and drinking. We have always thought that smaller ships are the way to cruise. However, we are now considering booking on the Getaway in 2014 and maybe changing our thinking on mega ship cruises.

Personally, I like the smaller ships' smaller venues - I prefer a good jazz quartet, piano bar, wine cellar to huge shows. I truly wish more cruise lines were building 2000-2500 passenger ships so the quality of the ship stays high. They also have the advantage of being able to dock rather than tender at smaller port, and take advantage of other ports where the big floating hotels just can't be accommodated.

A smaller ship built to accommodate the northern US ports - with indoor heated pool so you could enjoy from day one the "I'm on a cruise" atmosphere when sailing from the northeast in the winter - that would be my dream new ship!

I am not interested in sailing on the mega ships, way too many passengers; I'll stick to those under 2,500 passengers. If all the "smaller" ships disappear, I guess I'll have to find other ways to spend my vacation dollars.

Totally agree...!!!!!!!!

My wife and I would love to return to Bermuda again this year. We had a great trip on the Star in September. Unfortunately due to work schedules we can't make the Dawn out of Boston happen because it leaves mid week. That only leaves the Breakaway which doesn't appeal to us at all.

IMO they're all getting too big. I don't see the trend changing though at least on the mainstream lines. Economies of scale and all that rot. I can't imagine sailing on Epic or Allure etc. although I'm sure at some point my desire for itineraries or schedule constraints will force my hand - I'm not looking forward to it. My problem is not only with all the people (it is the main issue though) it's also the fact that I enjoy being on and looking at the ships and feeling the ocean. These gigantic beasts have no beauty to them. They just look like floating barges with blocks on them IMO.

Of course all this is my preference and I'm obviously in the minority. But I'll stay off them whenever possible.

Btw I'm 34 and while I accept I'm not young anymore I wouldn't call myself and old timer yet ;) So I don't think it's strictly an age based thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not interested in sailing on the mega ships, way too many passengers; I'll stick to those under 2,500 passengers. If all the "smaller" ships disappear, I guess I'll have to find other ways to spend my vacation dollars.

Would tend to agree....

There was a time when a 2500 passenger ship was considered large and then along came the 3000+ ships, then 4000+ and now RCL has ships approaching 6000 Pax, so NCL ships like the Epic and Breakaway class may not seem so mega in a few years. :eek: RCL has 2 new Oasis class mega ships under construction and the Oasis and Allure sail pretty much sold out every cruise.

Granted we are not seasoned cruisers, but I shared the opinion that bigger was not better; that is until we sailed the Epic a few weeks back. We sailed with 4,360 passengers but I don't think it felt like there were any more onboard then our Sky trip.

Now we're booked for the Getaway and I can't wait.

While I cannot comment on the "feel" of the smaller ships compared to the newer mega ships, I'm afraid their days are limited.

With the upcoming fuel regulations in 2015 and 2020, increasing fuel prices, and increased cost to build, "economy of scale" is the industry watch-word.

From a technical standpoint, the larger ships, each trying to "out wow" the competion, have caused lots of problems for the designers. The atriums and now "central malls" require huge investments in fire control systems.

My biggest concern is that with over 4000 passengers, and the ships still maintaining only 16 lifeboats per ship, the capacity of each boat is now 250. Think about that. That is a sizable cruise ship in and of itself.

Classification societies and the IMO are seriously studying the problems with growing mega cruise ships, and the 2010 "Safe Return to Port" requirements is a good example of what they are looking toward.

Unfortunately for die-hard cruisers, if the lines are not allowed to continue to build bigger and bigger ships, the ticket prices for new smaller ships will have to go up.

One of my favorite ships remains the Sun but those of you concerned about mega ships try one you may be surprised. The Epic may carry 4000+ passengers but it never seemed more crowded then the Sun. They have done a great job breaking up the passengers into dozens of smaller venues. It not like a traditional ship where 1/2 the passengers go to the early show and the other 1/2 goes to the late show. The main theater on the Epic only holds a few hundred with the same shows repeating several nights a week. I can't image the nightmare of a traditional size theater holding 1/2 the passengers and the tidal surge of 2000 passengers exiting a show

With a few hundred in the theater, a couple hundred at Cirque, a couple hundred at Howl at the Moon or Second City, a couple of hundred at Fat Cats, a couple 100 at Spice H20, and dozens at multiple bars all coming and going at different times you will never realize how many are onboard.

Last cruise the Sun, next cruise the Breakaway, after that back to the Dawn. All I can say about mega ships, "Try it you may like it"

My biggest concern is that with over 4000 passengers, and the ships still maintaining only 16 lifeboats per ship, the capacity of each boat is now 250. Think about that. That is a sizable cruise ship in and of itself.

So the 16 lifeboats will hold 4000 people, what happens to the 1500+ crew members? :confused: Life jackets and a swim?:eek:

We have been till now, on the smaller class of cruise ship such as the Spirit and Sun (around 2000 passengers). I can't say the new class of ships such as 'Breakaway' (4000 or so passengers) appeal to me in the slightest. On our last cruise (this month) on the 'Sun' this was a matter of discussion with fellow cruisers. Consensus among most of those we talked to was that we were not alone. I guess for familiys the new ships are appealing in the facilities they offer, but for us old timers, big is not best.

Any thoughts?

I prefer ships that hold fewer than 2000 persons. I don't need or want all the shops, shows, restaurants, amusements, that are on the new mega ships.

So the 16 lifeboats will hold 4000 people, what happens to the 1500+ crew members? :confused: Life jackets and a swim?:eek:

The crew have not been assigned to lifeboats (except for the 3-4 assigned as the boat crew) for years. Only the paying guests get the "A" ride in the boats. The crew use the liferafts, which are designed to be deployed after the boats have left with all the passengers.

The crew have not been assigned to lifeboats (except for the 3-4 assigned as the boat crew) for years. Only the paying guests get the "A" ride in the boats. The crew use the liferafts, which are designed to be deployed after the boats have left with all the passengers.

Thanks, I kind of figured something like that, but 250 people packed like sardines in those lifeboats is hardly an "A" ride :eek:

I prefer ships that hold fewer than 2000 persons. I don't need or want all the shops, shows, restaurants, amusements, that are on the new mega ships.

The shops, shows and restaurants aren't compulsory on the big ships.

The size means that hey have those things as well as what people like on the smaller ships. It really isn't an either/or thing.

The shows on the Breakaway don't appeal to me at all, so I probably won't go to them (although the option is there when I fancy it). I'm planning to relax with a book and a glass of wine for most of my trip, and it will be easy to do on that ship despite all the other activities that are going on.

I still say that cruiselines should reconsider building one or two smaller ships, which can be accomodated at ports such as Charleston, Baltimore, Bermuda's St. Georges & Hamilton.

There is a definite market for smaller ships. Bigger is not always better.

I still say that cruiselines should reconsider building one or two smaller ships, which can be accomodated at ports such as Charleston, Baltimore, Bermuda's St. Georges & Hamilton.

Here's the problem. Nobody wants to pay the price to have them. The high end cruise lines continue to build and sail smaller ships with fares 2x the mass market lines. It really cost far less per passenger to operate a 4000 passenger ship then a 1000 passenger ship. Onboard revenue 4x.

If we want to continue to cruise at the reasonable fares we enjoy I am afraid mega ships are the future for mass market lines.

It seems that the biggest concerns of those who have never been on a mega ship are all the passengers and the possibility of having to wait in long lines for everything. One of my concerns too. I have been reading a lot of reviews and comments on CC from recent passengers on the Epic and that does not seem to be the reality. You do not see any horrific stories about long waits or over crowding from people coming back from the Epic that are out of the norm for any NCL ship. I have seen more than one comment that they booked on the Epic thinking they wouldn't like the size and after doing the cruise wouldn't go back to smaller ships in the future.

This is why we are rethinking our smaller ship only mentality.

I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more to sail aboard a US built ship, US registered, US ships crew etc... 70,000 tons 1,500 passenger max (46.5 space ratio). And sail to US ports up and down the Atlantic sea board. Visit Philly, Baltimore, Charleston, Jacksonville, Newport and the like. The ship would be small enough to dock at most ports but even tendered in would not be too bad. The ship is still Mega-size by any standards into the late 80's, but small by todays.

The cruise lines that sail these routes now cost thousands per person and are on small boutique ships with not a lot to offer.

I know NCL tried this for Hawaii, and it is not profitable. But look at the airfare to get there. On the Atlantic coast are millions of folks within driving distance to the embarkation ports. I feel it could be profitable if it were tried. I for one would sail it.

I like bigger ships too, but there is a market for mid-size 50,000-70,000 tonners.

Jon

I'm glad I did the Epic. I really am. We had a great time, the ship is beautiful, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

But I'll never do a ship that size again.

Also, we didn't realize it at the time because we had nothing to compare it to, but looking back we now think that the 3300 passengers on the Crown Princess was too many for us. Once again, a lovely cruise on a lovely ship. Just too many people in too small of an area.

The Star is still our favourite ship (so far). She is the perfect size for us. Lots of space with lots to do, and enough passengers that you get a good mix of people to meet and mingle with. Yet it isn't packed with passengers in every nook and cranny that you can't wing-it for a night on the town, so to speak. (Much unlike the Epic, where winging-it just isn't possible. You need to plan ahead on the Epic and that defeats the purpose.)

I'm certain we will feel the same way about the Dawn in a months time when we'll be on her for 12 days. (We're in a DOS w/2 balcony's, so I have a hunch the Dawn will be our favourite cruise simply due to the cabin alone.)

We booked the Sun for a 10-day southern this coming November, and then we'll be looking at a 14/15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Pearl sometime in 2014 or 2015. Beyond that, I have no idea what we're going to do. I'll see what the other NCL ships are up to, or start re-doing the same itineraries we've already done. But with a 2500 passenger limit, we might find ourselves limited in choices.

I just hope NCL shakes things up a bit and offers more variety on their smaller ships. Because I have no intention of trying another line. None whatsoever. I'm a Loyalist by nature. It's in my blood. ;)

I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more to sail aboard a US built ship, US registered, US ships crew etc... 70,000 tons 1,500 passenger max (46.5 space ratio). And sail to US ports up and down the Atlantic sea board. Visit Philly, Baltimore, Charleston, Jacksonville, Newport and the like. The ship would be small enough to dock at most ports but even tendered in would not be too bad. The ship is still Mega-size by any standards into the late 80's, but small by todays.

The cruise lines that sail these routes now cost thousands per person and are on small boutique ships with not a lot to offer.

I know NCL tried this for Hawaii, and it is not profitable. But look at the airfare to get there. On the Atlantic coast are millions of folks within driving distance to the embarkation ports. I feel it could be profitable if it were tried. I for one would sail it.

I like bigger ships too, but there is a market for mid-size 50,000-70,000 tonners.

Jon

As what would be considered a "cheerleader" for US flag ships, I am all for US flag ships and crews, but unfortunately, your ideas are not quite correct.

The only large (more than 1000 passenger) US cruise ship was really built in Germany, and required a special act of Congress to allow it to trade in the PVSA trade in Hawaii. If you could find a yard in the US to build a cruise ship (most would run away screaming, as they would lose their shirt on the first couple they built), it would triple the cost, which would affect your ticket prices from before the first cruise.

The NCL Hawaiian cruises are nearly the same price for a 7 day cruise as the foreign flag ships charge for a 14 day cruise from the West Coast. Plus, the West Coast cruises have over 3 times the fuel consumption, so the crew cost differential is much more than twice.

To have a US crew, even on a US East Coast itinerary would triple the ticket cost, at a minimum, perhaps more, especially for a smaller ship that cannot maintain the efficiency of size.

While I don't disagree that the ships are perhaps getting too large, I don't see the trend changing.

Archived