Another wine question

Sea Legs

Seems to me that the ease of bringing a box of wine aboard in a carry-on or checked bag would be a matter of personal preference. I imagine the corkage fee would still be based on $15/750 milliliter. As far as halfway decent boxed white wines, I find it easier to just Google questions like that.

Best Boxed White Wines

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/05/17/best-boxed-white-wines/

As there is so much chatter about bringing wine onboard, I was wondering if "box wine" is easier to bring on in your checked bag? If so, does anyone recommend a half way decent white wine brand?

This is one of those questions where you will get dozens of differing opinions. We always bring boxed wine in our checked luggage. Less chance of breakage and no cork screw needed. Sorry, we are not white wine drinkers. We drink cabernet savignon. My husband likes Black Box, but I like Corbett Canyon. You will just need to do some experimenting before your cruise. ;)

Still need to know if getting some onboard is possible.

Yes and no.

No: The cruise contract says 750ML limit per person.

Yes: No problems posted on Cruise Critic for any non-Australia based Princess ship.

Thanks. That site helped with the selections. Still need to know if getting some onboard is possible.
If you are lucky. I doubt Princess security can scan everything. It will be interesting to see how Princess enforces the new policy. Here is a picture of another cruise line naughty table.

DSC_5088.JPG

We just got back from 1 week on the Caribbean Princess and brought on 6 bottles of wine and 12 beers. Put luggage tags on them and they were brought to the room. No issues. The wine we brought the the dining room we paid corkage on. My parents were on the same cruise and brought on 4 bottles of wine and 12 beers without any issues either.

Happy Cruising.

Spotter leaving in 2 weeks how did u pack the beer? Looking to take a 12 pack with me, did u take cans or bottles? I am thinking of putting my case of water and 12 pack in a duffle bag and putting a luggage

tag on it and hoping for the best.

If so, does anyone recommend a half way decent white wine brand?

No comment on the ease of getting boxes on board, but from a quality standpoint, I recently participated on a judging panel which included a category for boxed wines. The wines from Three Thieves (Bandit), consistently came out on top. Black Box was also found to be acceptable.

WE always bring 2 boxes of wine onboard. One red, one white. We put it in our carry on and send it right through security as we check in at the ship. Never a question asked or eyebrow raised. Now, I think if you are there and you announce to the whole world you are doing it, they might not like that. Just keep your head and be cool about it.

I will say that I have always done research and found a wine store locally and bought my wine as we were heading to the ship. In LA we stayed at the Doubletree pre-cruise and a store called On The Vine actually ordered my boxed wine and delivered it to the hotel. It was waiting when we arrived. I do not want to lose space in my suitcase by packing the wine.

As far a packing anything, like wine, for flying that might cause a spill or leak, this is what I do. It is probably overkill, but if you have ever had clothing and shoes ruined, it is worth it.

I wrap the bottle in a disposable diaper and use packing tape to secure it. Then I seal the diaper wrapped bottle in my FoodSaver sealer. If the bottle is compromised, the diaper will absorb TONS of liquid, and the sealed bag will keep any extra liquid from leaking out. :o

We still have a bar tab and taking our own wine is not becasue we are cheap. It is more a matter of convenience. We love having a glass of wine when we are getting dressed for dinner or just relaxing out on our balcony without having to wait for room service or going to the bar.

We really like the Bota Box wine. The shiraz is a good red.

There are several good Chilean and Australian wines sold boxed. One article I read said that many regions outside the USA have been packaging wines in boxes and bags for many years. They have discovered that the wines last much longer after being opened.

We just got back from 1 week on the Caribbean Princess and brought on 6 bottles of wine and 12 beers. Put luggage tags on them and they were brought to the room. No issues. The wine we brought the the dining room we paid corkage on. My parents were on the same cruise and brought on 4 bottles of wine and 12 beers without any issues either.

Happy Cruising.

This makes me so happy as I leave on the Caribbean Princess on Saturday. I, though, am willing to pay corkage to bring on the wines I like.

Spotter leaving in 2 weeks how did u pack the beer? Looking to take a 12 pack with me, did u take cans or bottles? I am thinking of putting my case of water and 12 pack in a duffle bag and putting a luggage

tag on it and hoping for the best.

We brought 12 bottles of Beck beer in the box with a tag. 12 coke zeros, and 12 bottles of water in a bag with a tag and 6 bottles of wine in a box with a tag. All delivered to our room. No problems. My parents brought dos equos beer 12 bottles in the box with a tag, 7 up and water snd 4 bottles of wine in a cooler with a tag. No problems. We went to total wine by the port snd bought our beer and wine and pop/ water from target the day before

We brought 12 bottles of Beck beer in the box with a tag. 12 coke zeros, and 12 bottles of water in a bag with a tag and 6 bottles of wine in a box with a tag. All delivered to our room. No problems. My parents brought dos equos beer 12 bottles in the box with a tag, 7 up and water snd 4 bottles of wine in a cooler with a tag. No problems. We went to total wine by the port snd bought our beer and wine and pop/ water from target the day before

Was this recently? So was the beer in the Beck box and not in another bag? If so, that is bold and very AWESOME! Way to GO!:)

We are also just got back from 1 week on the Caribbean Princess and brought on 4 bottles of wine and 12 beers. We did our pre-cruise shopping at Total Wine also. A box of 12 Dos Equis in checked luggage, No issues. The wine was in 2 carry-on's 2 bottles in each and had my own cork screw. ;) Bought bottles of wine at different dinners and several Guinness during cruise. No issues bringing on board Curacao Liqueur from Curacao.

My friends on the cruise all had similar experiences.

Cheers ;)

We are also just got back from 1 week on the Caribbean Princess and brought on 4 bottles of wine and 12 beers. We did our pre-cruise shopping at Total Wine also. A box of 12 Dos Equis in checked luggage, No issues. The wine was in 2 carry-on's 2 bottles in each and had my own cork screw. ;) Bought bottles of wine at different dinners and several Guinness during cruise. No issues bringing on board Curacao Liqueur from Curacao.

My friends on the cruise all had similar experiences.

Cheers ;)

I think it is all how you handle it. If you are not openly bragging about it or acting all weird, they probably won't say a thing. I have seen people get stuff confiscated coming back from port, but they were carrying the bottles out in the open, there were several bottles, and the line a security was crowded. We had our bottles of rum in our backpack and walked right through.

Wow! Thanks so much to everyone for all the feedback. Truly, there will still be a.m. bloody marys and afternoon margueritas or drink of the day on the bar bill, but it would be a nice break to have some booze in the cabin. We have 8 in our group on a 10 day cruise so we will have some downtime in each other cabins for relaxing. (All family that only see each other about once a year)! : ) One more ?...the wine that is allowed per person...how do you carry that on?

A friend just returned from a cruise on Norwegian. He had booze in rum runners in the same check luggage that his DW has a travel iron. The iron was confiscated as well as the booze. Iron returned after the cruise..not the booze as only liquor in the original bottles is returned.

Can people who have recently returned tell us of their experience with the new wine policy when bringing on a case or bottles of wine on embarkation in FLL. Were they charged per bottle? Also any liquor taken away?

Ontario Cruiser

Nobody has posted on any thread here that there was any more enforcement than in the past when boarding any Princess ship not based in Australia.

Archived