What kind of rules/expectations do you set for your kids on a cruise?

mkleblanc

I just finished reading a posting about a sexual crime against a 15 year old on board an RCCL ship. Please check out that board to consider that is isn't just mischief your child can get into but that there is alcohol combined with some bad people out there.

Would you let your child wander around NYC on their own? A ship is just a little city that the child is unfamiliar with.

Um, yes? Dd16 has been taking a train into NYC and down the shore with friends for over a year now. Went to a dance competition in Chicago over the summer, and ds14 just explored on his own. They've been walking to school since the 2nd grade, and as they mature, they get more freedom, so that when they go off to college, they're capable of being very independent, and make good decisions.

Teens are in danger of sexual assaults off of cruise ships - more likely to be someone they know. Do we expect them to spend every minute with their parents, especially once they start driving?

I think it may be a good idea for parents of teens to check out that board to get some ideas of the conversations you should be having with your teens if you do allow them to go by themselves. I raised two daughters into adulthood so I understand about letting out that rope. Just saying that the conversation with your kids needs to be very frank when allowing your teens to go off by themselves. Some people (like me!) lead relatively sheltered lives in the midst of wonderful people and aren't aware of all of the possibilities and deviances when it comes to safety. I have traveled around the world and appreciate the wisdom of others about personal security. My eyes are now wide open!

I think it may be a good idea for parents of teens to check out that board to get some ideas of the conversations you should be having with your teens if you do allow them to go by themselves. I raised two daughters into adulthood so I understand about letting out that rope. Just saying that the conversation with your kids needs to be very frank when allowing your teens to go off by themselves. Some people (like me!) lead relatively sheltered lives in the midst of wonderful people and aren't aware of all of the possibilities and deviances when it comes to safety. I have traveled around the world and appreciate the wisdom of others about personal security. My eyes are now wide open!

We live right outside NYC, where I grew up. My kids are not unaware of the dangers in the world - heck, our local news is NYC news, with rapes, murders, thefts, drugs, fires, etc. reported every day. They've had safety measured drilled into them since they were very young. They've always been told that there are bad people out there, who will harm them, if they get a chance.

Your kids have been privileged to have parents that have taught them these things. There may be other posters who live in what they consider safer areas and they may never have had these discussions. Having volunteered with a group that works with victims of human trafficking, I am constantly amazed at how naive and unprepared the vast majority of us are about the evil that is out there. So, walk with preparedness, some caution, good sense and boldness in life.

Your kids have been privileged to have parents that have taught them these things. There may be other posters who live in what they consider safer areas and they may never have had these discussions. Having volunteered with a group that works with victims of human trafficking, I am constantly amazed at how naive and unprepared the vast majority of us are about the evil that is out there. So, walk with preparedness, some caution, good sense and boldness in life.

I posted this on the other thread, but will add it here.

While I am troubled with the incident that happened on the Mariner, as parents we should all be sharing this with our kids so that they can be prepared. No matter how "street wise" our kids are, or how much we watch over them, there are always situations that will arise. Use this unfortunate incident to have a talk with your kids and show them the potential real world consequences. Set your own rules and make sure everyone knows what is expected before you get on the ship. Bottom line, be prepared!

Archived