gratuity?

dizlove

This being our first suite.....what is a good gratutity (extra)to leave our canin steward for good service?? Thanks!!! What about tipping the sanctuary attendants? Anyone have a good guideline? I don't want to go "overboard" but want to make sure they know they are/were appreciated. $$$

We are in a suite as well for our Christmas trip. I was planning on bringing a gift to give the steward, something local to where we live, and give it to him at the beginning of the trip. I'm thinking some See's candy or nuts. Then I will trip extra according to the level of service we receive.

We give the cabin steward $50 first day and $50 the last day. We do exactly the same thing in the sanctuary. Personally I have always been comfortable doing that. To be honest I throw them a little extra in between. They are all so worth it.

Remember that base gratuities are included in the hotel charge. That said, I budget around $2-4 per person per day additional for a cash tip at the end of the cruise as well, for a suite, I would probably go $3-5 per person.

Sanctuary can vary. Our service was so good on the Island I gave each steward $75 at the end of the trip (3 stewards rotated duties). This was for a 10 day cruise, on which we used the Sanctuary for 8 of them. I should point out they rarely charged us the food delivery charge, so that was factored in.

Hi Melody Houndog;

It is very nice of you to think of your service staff with a gift, but remember, unless you know them personally, you never know what they prefer, or what they can and cannot eat. they also have very limited space to store their own "things". As has been discussed here many times, Cash is King. What is a nice warm fuzzy gift in your culture, may be frowned upon in others. So unless you know the people involved, the best thing to give, accepted in all situations, are "Pictures of Dead Presidents"

Fair winds

Dave

This being our first suite.....what is a good gratutity (extra)to leave our canin steward for good service?? Thanks!!! What about tipping the sanctuary attendants? Anyone have a good guideline? I don't want to go "overboard" but want to make sure they know they are/were appreciated. $$$
There will be a hotel service charge automatically added to your onboard account of $12/pp/day for your suite. This covers the gratuity for all cabin and dining service. You don't need to leave anything extra unless you feel your steward or waitstaff deserves more. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to any beverage ordered.

There's no need to pre-tip any waitstaff or steward. They do an excellent job for the most part plus if you pre-tip, how would you know if this is standard service or special? :)

If you remove the automatic hotel service charge, which you may, and tip directly, that goes right into the tipping pool. They are not allowed to keep it and there are serious consequences if they don't turn it in.

For the Sanctuary, I booked it for the entire cruise, including the Panama Canal. The service was terrific and at the end of the cruise, I tipped the attendants a total of $40. I have no idea how much others tip.

IMHO tipping is very personal. We do what is comfortable for us, I suggest you do the same regardless of what others, including myself, may suggest.

Having said that, we never tip for service in advance. We much prefer tipping what we feel is generous after service has been rendered. We have received poor service onboard...I'd be really angry at myself if this occurred after pre-tipping.

Cruise ship crew endure months away from their families with little, if any, time off for one thing: the money. Although food or other gifts from home would be appreciated, cash is king.

That's my 2¢...

Lew

Although food or other gifts from home would be appreciated, cash is king.
I agree. Most of the crew come from cultures that don't eat much candy and you never know whether someone might be allergic to nuts. Stick with cash, but never, ever give them $2 bills or Susan B Anthony coins. Any cash that isn't used every day is useless to them as many places outside the US don't accept "odd" currency even though it's legal tender.

If you remove the automatic hotel service charge, which you may, and tip directly, that goes right into the tipping pool. They are not allowed to keep it and there are serious consequences if they don't turn it in.

this is good information and I need to factor in the extra $$ for this for the sanctuary and the suite steward.

I did not realize that they had to "turn in" any extra tip that they received....

this is good information and I need to factor in the extra $$ for this for the sanctuary and the suite steward.

I did not realize that they had to "turn in" any extra tip that they received....

Sanctuary staff are not included in the daily "auto-tip" and can keep any cash you give to them.

I agree. Most of the crew come from cultures that don't eat much candy and you never know whether someone might be allergic to nuts. Stick with cash, but never, ever give them $2 bills or Susan B Anthony coins. Any cash that isn't used every day is useless to them as many places outside the US don't accept "odd" currency even though it's legal tender.

Dear Pam,

Thanks for your insight to $2 bills or Susan B Anthony coins. I always thought they were a unique way of tipping, but your advice makes good sense. I will stop this practice.

On the other hand, I always take my stateroom steward a small food gift with a few extra dollars included when I am on a 2 week cruise. I hand him/her "gift" when I hand them my wants and desires list. Since it is a gift, I relinquish all rights to what they do with it after they leave my cabin. On my Hawaii cruise, I made a lei with packages of Mac nuts and and other Hawaiian delights with a flower made from cash.

Tipping is a very personal matter. I tend to give a little something extra to everyone that I see regularly.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Clarification - unless you turn off the hotel charge, the staff member keeps any extra tips they get. It's only if you remove the charge it has to be relinquished.

Archived