We Will Never Cruise With RCI Again

But they took wine. Is it inconcievable to assume that security would simply open the luggage and look?

Nope. That's not inconceivable, nor is it inconceivable that a person would be petty enough to blackball an entire cruise line and rant about it on the internet, because they make you come down and open your luggage, rather than them rummaging through your stuff themselves. :cool:

. . . The whole issue lies at the feet of RCI......create a policy of how wine is to be transported on to the ship and be done with it.

Sorry, but it appears they do have a policy -- how you bring your two bottles is your choice. Bringing it in your checked bags is perfectly fine. You just may be asked to verify it is the allowed two bottles of wine and nothing else -- then you are on your way -- exactly what happened to OP. I have yet to see any explanation of what's wrong with that policy.

But they took wine. Is it inconcievable to assume that security would simply open the luggage and look?. . .

LOL -- then we would be arguing over some OP who is never going to cruise RCI again because his bags were searched without permission.

Sorry, but it appears they do have a policy -- how you bring your two bottles is your choice. Bringing it in your checked bags is perfectly fine. You just may be asked to verify it is the allowed two bottles of wine and nothing else -- then you are on your way -- exactly what happened to OP. I have yet to see any explanation of what's wrong with that policy.

Agreed. Either way, they are likely to make you open your bag and show them what's in there. The only difference is that, if it's carry-on, you're there with your bag, so the opening and showing happens immediately, and you're on your way. In checked backs, it may delay your luggage, and you may have to go visit the security room to open your bag and show them what's in there.

LOL -- then we would be arguing over some OP who is never going to cruise RCI again because his bags were searched without permission.

But then I would be on the side saying he gave them permission when he signed the cruise contract.

He was told point blank in a thread that HE started what would happen if bottles of liquore were found on X-rays. Could he be so stupid as to believe that security could determine if those bottles contained vodka or rum rather than wine? Seriously?

So now he is stupid?

He was not mad at having to go to the room to pick up his bag. He knew that he was likely going to have to go to pick up his case.

He was not mad at the fact that security could not tell if the bottles were wine or unallowed products.

He was upset on how they made him feel and his perception of how he was treated. Nothing more.

I know that I will be arriving the same day as my departure for an upcoming cruise and I have no interest in carrying around two bottles of wine with me while I wait for my room to be available. It will be in the bag I checked at the airport as you can not carry on liquids of that amount past the screening and I will be bring wine from home. Unless the policy changes I will leave it in the middle of my checked bags as I have no interest in rummaging through my luggage at the cruise port or airport to retrieve the bottles of allowed wine.

I know that I will have to go to the naughty room to pick up my bag and I'm ok with this as I would rather do this then to carry them around the ship for a couple of hours.

I have a suggestion for RCI create a policy that states that you have to carry on the allowed wine and tell everyone that you will be tossing out any wine brought on board any other way. Or have a line for checked bags with wine it it....you go to the designated line, you open your bag for inspection and they tag your bag as checked, the bag is delivered to your room and Bob is your uncle!

But then I would be on the side saying he gave them permission when he signed the cruise contract.

Touche, but what is wrong with what they are doing? From their point of view doesn't it give them some cover against the claim that RCI security stole the bazillion dollar family heirloom stuffed in my dive bag? [Or stuffed the "flavored tobacco" in the same place?]

But they took wine. Is it inconcievable to assume that security would simply open the luggage and look?

There were posters in this thread that thought TSA scanned the luggage. They routinely open and inspect the luggage.

I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I don't believe it is TSA scanning the luggage on the ship, I think it is cruise line security. Other more knowledgeable folks will be able to verify. I believe their procedure is to call the passenger to come and open it. That way anything lost, broken or misplaced is not their problem.

Even if it is TSA scanning, they just set aside questionable pieces and leave it for ship security to handle.

As another poster pointed out you are free to pack your wine. Just be aware that because they cannot tell the difference between Ketle One and Pinot Grigio in a scanner, they will set the bag aside and have you open the bag.

He was not mad at having to go to the room to pick up his bag. He knew that he was likely going to have to go to pick up his case.

He was not mad at the fact that security could not tell if the bottles were wine or unallowed products.

How in the world do you know that? :confused:

He was upset on how they made him feel and his perception of how he was treated. Nothing more.

And you know this how????:confused::confused::rolleyes:

Because OP said BINGO? I believe you are making a lot of assumptions here based on very little info from the OP. And you're making yourself look a little silly to boot.:cool:

How in the world do you know that? :confused:

Because OP said BINGO? I believe you are making a lot of assumptions here based on very little info from the OP. And you're making yourself look a little silly to boot.:cool:

LOL I almost posted the same question, but took my own advise and walked away from the keyboard only to find others wondering the same thing. :D

So now he is stupid?

He never really said whether he was mad at having to go to the room to pick up his bag or not. He never said he knew he was likely to have to do this. He never said he was not mad at the fact security could not tell if the bottles were wine or not. Those are all your assumptions. I thought you only stuck to the facts of what he said.... :p

. . . He was upset on how they made him feel and his perception of how he was treated. Nothing more. . .

OK, we are apparently agreed that in principle there is nothing wrong with the way RCI is doing things. Here is where we part ways. I refuse to accept that party A's action becomes right or wrong simply based on how it made party B feel. There are many times a perfectly innocent act is perceived wrongly, or exagerated or whatever. Party A's actions are right or wrong objectively -- based on what was done and the circumstances. There has to be a rule of reason here. And we cannot evaluate that because we really don't have the complete picture from either point of view.

Oh Boy what a Drama:rolleyes:

So lets see what we have....

OP took 2 bottles of wine in checked luggage which is perfectly fine per the rules

RCI catches the 2 bottles in checked luggage and asks to have a look at it, which is perfectly fine on their part as well

OP knew or knew not that it´s better to pack wine in carry-on, though not a rule and decided to pack them in checked luggage

Now the OP felt they were not treated right which is probably debatable, but as None of us was there something we will never find out.

Finally the OP decides no more RCI for them - well OK, bye bye, it won´t ruin RCI, it won´t ruin anyones else Cruises with RCI, it´s their decision and I´m not to question it or make them think about it again.

I said it before I´m not going to miss them and I don´t see the Drama it creates here, especially from some of the die hard defenders North of the border:rolleyes:

I read his post and he confirmed my opinion......what do you or others have to support your assumptions?

Reread the OP and the last line and It supports my thoughts/and opinion as to what the issue was. Along with his previous posts that asked the question of bring Alcohol in check bags on board. So this is not an assumption at all, but me using common sense and piecing the information together. Here is the last line:

Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

As far as making my self look silly, I have no concern about that at all, as I could care less what you or others think about me!

So now he is stupid?

How in the world do you know any of that? You are telling others not to make assumptions - but everything you've said is an assumption. You haven't heard the other side of the story. No one has, but when someone reacts in such an over-the-top manner to something so minor, then you have to wonder what really went on.

I read his post and he confirmed my opinion......what do you or others have to support your assumptions?

Reread the OP and the last line and It supports my thoughts/and opinion as to what the issue was. Along with his previous posts that asked the question of bring Alcohol in check bags on board. So this is not an assumption at all, but me using common sense and piecing the information together. Here is the last line:

As far as making my self look silly, I have no concern about that at all, as I could care less what you or others think about me!

Yes, Sherlock, you figured it all out....good detective work:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

. . . Reread the OP and the last line and It supports my thoughts/and opinion as to what the issue was. . . .

Seriously? This:

Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

supports all of you various embellishments to OP's story?

What exactly did RCI do that deserved an apology or kind word?

Seriously? This:

supports all of you various embellishments to OP's story?

What exactly did RCI do that deserved an apology or kind word?

florida lover user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianeh934 viewpost.gif

You agree with an assumption which is base on nothing more that an opinion?

The fact that the OP had to go to the room was not the issue. The issue was how he was made to feel and the outcome. If he did nothing wrong a simply sorry Sir would have made a lot of difference as well as an offer to deliver the bag to the room.

The fact that he was aware that he could have been called to the room does not change anything about how he was made to feel....like a criminal!

If they want you to carry on the wine then make it a policy....currently it is not!

No one has considered that they may have traveled with the wine and we all know the policy regarding liquids on board a plane. He may have simply forgotten to remove the wine from his checked bags to bring it on board, or felt no need to do so as it is not a policy and not required. A overreaction possibly but if I was made to feel like a criminal and was not offered an simply sorry, I would have been pissed as well.

This all could be avoided by having a clear policy.......

BINGO. You understand perfectly.

Thank you!

Any questions?

Archived