What should I bring home

paumarier

My husband and I will be stopping in Athens, Crete, and Rhodes on our cruise this fall. I already plan to bring home lots of spices/herbs and olive tree products but would like to know what favorite souvenirs others have brought home from these beautiful places.

My husband and I will be stopping in Athens, Crete, and Rhodes on our cruise this fall. I already plan to bring home lots of spices/herbs and olive tree products but would like to know what favorite souvenirs others have brought home from these beautiful places.

Everyone is different...let what YOU see and really like determine what you bring home..you will have a lot to choose from.

I don't know where you're going in Crete, but I found a lot of nice original jewelry in Iraklion. It was fun looking and I bought a nice, large "abstract" pendant. I also bought a replica of one of the most famous pieces of jewelry found at Knossos, the "golden bee" pendant, which looks like this:

http://blarfmarf.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/museum_bees.jpg

In Rhodes I found a store with some nice handworked pillow covers (they also have napkins, placemats, and larger pieces like duvets and tablecloths).

I'm not really much of a shopper when traveling, but the above things just seemed to find me as I walked by....:D

I've never found much to purchase in Athens, despite a couple of stays there. Well, actually that's not quite true -- on my first visit there, I did buy a lovely gold signet ring with a small "coin" of Athena. There are nice jewelry stores on the Plaka, but the price of gold is so high in the past few years..... Now what I most enjoy in Athens is eating at some really good restaurants and sampling local food.

There are some things you can never plan on! In 2008 we had seen Athens so in 2011 when we were back in Greece we went to Corinth - to see the canal and archaeological center. On the bridge overlooking the canal there was a woman who looked to be about 110 years old with skin of sunbrowned leather selling woven straw "things" for 2 euro. I bought one and asked our guide what it was. He just smiled and said it was to hang in your house for "blessings" and "good luck". Every time I see it Corinth, and our whole trip, come rushing back - especially that wizen old lady!

Just be open to that magic moment - you'll never know until it comes!!!!

I started this thread because I thought it would be very interesting and entertaining if others shared their favorite ideas and souvenirs.

Sorry misunderstood...this subject comes up a lot and there are many many posts on these boards as to what people buy and bring back.

There are all sorts of lovely things to bring back from the Greek islands - jewellery is my favourite either silver or gold. There are things that are very unique over there and they don't take up room in your case!

Plenty of jewellery shops in the Plaka area in Athens and in Rhodes Town :)

I also especially love the things that seem to find me and they don't have to be expensive things either. Some of my favorite souvenirs have been those little "nothings" that bring back wonderful memories. I always buy dishes of some sort on our travels and when we use them for meals at home, my husband and I enjoy reminiscing where we got them. I also like to buy small paintings from street artists.

I also love to bring back little dishes and artwork. Got a gorgeous gold bracelet in Mykonos. Supposedly I got a good deal because we were the last cruise of the season and he was closing for the season the next day

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a beautiful pair of hand made leather sandals while in Rhodes this past October. Every time I wear them I think of the beautiful day we spent there.

I will be in Rhodes next month and want to purchase sandals while there.....do you remember the name of the store where you got yours? Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me!

Hi oceanbreese,

I boughth a table cloth & embroidered blouse, and beautiful hand painted pottery in Rhodes. I saw that you will be in Mykonos on your cruise. There are hand made sandals in many shops on the island. I purchased 2 pair. One had coral on them & the other had turquoise on them. The shop was Scalini. They are made very well I have worn them for 2 summers & they look like brand new. If you go to Capri there are many handmade sandal shops there also, just a little more expensive. Enjoy your cruise, & happy shopping.

Aquaseeker,

Thank you so very much for your reply! I love bringing back clothing items.....each time I wear them it reminds me of my trip:). I will definitely check out the shop you suggested...........love pretty sandals and especially those that I cannot find in my hometown. When in Italy last September I purchased some gorgeous tablecloths, but forgot to get one for myself, so it is nice to know that perhaps I can find one in Rhodes.

I am sure the other ladies traveling with me will be excited to hear about the shoe shops!

Thanks again for your help!

I bought beautiful cotton dresses, skirts and tops in the Plaka area of Athens. The cotton is soft and kind of crinkly, and therefore packs very well. Really enjoyed wearing it on a later Caribbean cruise. Also in the Plaka, there were sandal shops with an incredible variety of leather sandals - prices were very reasonable compared to what I would pay in Canada.

Mykonos, I found an art shop on the walkway along the beachfront. I bought a signed watercolor of the town for about $30. That store had a variety of very unusual and attractive art and craft items. It was not cheap, but different from the usual, mass-produced souvenirs.

Oceanbreeze50 you are welcome. I would love to be shopping with you. You think the way I do. It's so fun to look at thing when you get home and smile as you think back to that perfect day when you found it. Good memories. We will be on the Silhouette next May. Enjoy your cruise!

Michelle

Going to try this, don't know if it will work. These articles are all over Greece. I fell in love with the blue lapis and bought quite a few different pieces at Katakalon and Corfu as well as Kusadasi Turkey.

And a typical Greek stone "Evil Eye" for luck, you will see everywhere.

As well as the Greek Black & gold porcelain tea cups, urns, vases etc.

480686581_greekeye.jpg.7037a91be8ef46543bcadc6dd709fa52.jpg

1894213085_greekbluelapis.jpg.96fedf911613f36bd9f96c91ae2e07ac.jpg

1985325004_Greekteacup.jpg.73fd3c60c2658f63b482e4902ebf0493.jpg

Going to try this, don't know if it will work. These articles are all over Greece. I fell in love with the blue lapis and bought quite a few different pieces at Katakalon and Corfu as well as Kusadasi Turkey.

And a typical Greek stone "Evil Eye" for luck, you will see everywhere.

As well as the Greek Black & gold porcelain tea cups, urns, vases etc.

Love the blue lapis earrings are they very expensive?

Love the blue lapis earrings are they very expensive?

Not at all. I got the ones in Silver, very similar to this photo, and they cost me 25 EURO, so maybe $50. The necklace and ring I bought was more, but if you go with silver instead of gold, the cost is more reasonable. Gold items were very EXPENSIVE!

Plus I liked the Greek symbols around the stones.

Not at all. I got the ones in Silver, very similar to this photo, and they cost me 25 EURO, so maybe $50. The necklace and ring I bought was more, but if you go with silver instead of gold, the cost is more reasonable. Gold items were very EXPENSIVE!

Plus I liked the Greek symbols around the stones.

Wow! That is great! Do you remember the name of the shop?

Thanks in advance.

Archived