November in the Med

cstrick

Has anyone here been to the Med in November? I am looking at the " Continental Quest Cruise " sailing on November 6th. I do understand that the weather may be cold and rainy, but it is very reasonably priced.

Colder and rainier weather os the reason the cruise is reasonably priced.You are making a tradeoff and if you are willing to bundle up a bit and carry an umbrella and brave rougher seas you should be fine.

It certainly won't be sunbathing weather, but could be perfect for sightseeing especially in the eastern med and southern Italy where it can be too hot in the summer. You may find some choppy seas and a few showers, but it won't be really cold. Pack a few sweaters and a raincoat and you should be fine. Enjoy.

Has anyone here been to the Med in November? I am looking at the " Continental Quest Cruise " sailing on November 6th. I do understand that the weather may be cold and rainy, but it is very reasonably priced.

November is one of the best months IMO......NO CROWDS.

We sat outside and had lunch in Venice ....sweater, no coat. Same in Rome. One day rain out of 10...maybe we were lucky. We took walking tours at all ports with either sweater or light wind breaker.

It is hard to even predict the weather tomorrow but we were on the Marina from Nov.1 to Nov. 15, 2013, Istanbul to Barcelona, and the weather was great! In Turkey and Greece, near 80, might have even been above 80 a day or two. Seas were so calm you could hardly tell when we left the dock. We arrived in Rome and raining very hard but that only lasted a few hours and after that, a little cooler but still very nice until we left Barcelona.

The strikes in Greece and Spain presented more problems that the weather.

Good luck!

Took an Eastern Med cruise in November and only had one day rain out of 12 (but it POURED that day). Rest of the time it was lovely and the seas were calm. We were the last cruise of the season that year in the Med and I agree, one of the best things is NO CROWDS.

November is one of the best months IMO......NO CROWDS.

We sat outside and had lunch in Venice ....sweater, no coat. Same in Rome. One day rain out of 10...maybe we were lucky. We took walking tours at all ports with either sweater or light wind breaker.

We very rarely travel to Europe by cruise but visit often and most always in November. We prefer avoiding the massive crowds during busy months and appreciate the cooler temps, lower airfare, more reasonable hotel rates, less crowded public transport.

We took a cruise last November from Venice to Athens and only had one day of light rain. And we had very calm seas. We would definitely cruise in November again, but did prefer out October cruise.

My other comment to add to this discussion is to just be aware that the days were very short in November with the sun starting to set at 4pm or so. We had late departures in many ports,, but it wasn't as appealing to be ashore when it was dark, and the streets were not very populated.

Ask me in November when we leave from Barcelona on 11/20 heading for Rio.

Previous cruisers on that itinerary have said that it starts out cool but gets quite warm the closer you get to Rio. So we shall see.

Our first Ren cruise was Lisbon to Barcelona, where we arrived in Barcelona on October 20th, and we had wonderful weather. Had we left later, I dunno.

Our first Viking riverboat cruise was the last one of the year, leaving Amsterdam Oct. 21st and arriving in Basel on November 1st. Many of the other cruisers complained about the weather but we'd already been touring central Europe at that time and so we were prepared. Cool, yes you need light coats/jackets, but it definitely was not freezing. OTOH, if people wanted to swim down the Danube, not a great idea.

Of course, land trips through central Europe in October-November are probably different from cruises at the same time.

Mura

Ask me in November when we leave from Barcelona on 11/20 heading for Rio.

Previous cruisers on that itinerary have said that it starts out cool but gets quite warm the closer you get to Rio. So we shall see.

Mura

We did Lisbon to Rio and it was cool and rough until Madeira and then very smooth and progressively warmer until Recife which is very near the equator. Then Salvador is a little cooler and Rio quite a bit cooler, but still warmish. For example, the beaches in Recife were crowded, not so much in Salvador, and we had the beach in Rio to ourselves!

It was one of our favourite cruises.

We like to travel in the fall. As Canadians we can take the cooler weather, and fewer people is definitely a bonus. It helps that we are not sun worshippers.

Mo

I have had good luck with Mediterranean cruises late in the year, and as others have posted you have the bonus of no crowds. According to the http://www.weather.com web site, average temperatures in November for Istanbul are between 47-59 and it is the third rainiest month of the year with 3.5 inches; Rome averages are between 43-62, with 4.7 inches of rain, the rainiest month of the year. Barcelona temperatures average 46-62 and there was no rainfall average.

My bottom line is bring a couple or three layers of clothing and your preferred rain gear and go. Have a great time.

I have had good luck with Mediterranean cruises late in the year, and as others have posted you have the bonus of no crowds. According to the www.weather.com web site, average temperatures in November for Istanbul are between 47-59 and it is the third rainiest month of the year with 3.5 inches; Rome averages are between 43-62, with 4.7 inches of rain, the rainiest month of the year. Barcelona temperatures average 46-62 and there was no rainfall average.

My bottom line is bring a couple or three layers of clothing and your preferred rain gear and go. Have a great time.

My bottom line: cruise in October, a delightful time of the year in the Med!:)

to Rio this past November/December and Rome was cool but not cold...since I'm a So Cal girl cold to me is relative...but I was ok with a nice warm jacket..didn't rain....cool and sunny. I was happy dressed that way until we left the Med and started across the Atlantic...it did continue to warm up and was HOT in Cape Verde and from then on. LuAnn

The year I left Rome on 10/31, headed for Ft. Lauderdale, it was absolutely hot while still in the Med. Sundresses all day, every day, weather. It cooled down to pleasant while on the crossing.

As always, ymmv.

Archived