Our visit to the Royal Caribbean school in Haiti

Well, they had a contest to name it "Ecole Nouvelle", but the corporation added their name to it. You can find this info on the RCI site.

The New York Times is one of the most reputable papers in the USA. How is it a hatchet job? Mr. Weis (a teacher at the school) said that Royal spends $200,000 a year running the school. Mr. Fain, the CEO, is directly quoted as saying, "We are a business, not a charitable organization."

The takeaway is this: Royal got bad press for resuming Labadee stops just 6 days after the Haiti earthquake. The school is good PR for them. $200,000 a year is a pittance for a company of that size.

I am not flaming but I don't care if Royal only puts in $10,000 a year. That is $10,000 more than they had before the school was built.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread...

WE ARE GOING BACK TO HAITI in March 2014 again. This time, we'll just bring some supplies for the school, but probably not make the journey again. This time, I plan on taking full advantage of the Cabana I've already booked.

Sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread, but I'm just so pumped to be going back to Labadee!

I think this is an excellent idea. I think Royal Caribbean should set up some kind of a donation area for cruisers to drop supplies off. I would love to drop off some supplies without intruding on the school.

Agreed! Do you know how much would be given to these kids? I really love RC because they are in haiti and creating opportunities for the people there. When you give to the least of these, you have done it as unto God.

Bless you for going! I know that was an amazing experience.

How soon after you left did you find out about the quake?

The quake happened at 5pm. I was getting dressed for dinner and put on CNN, that is where I heard. I ran out into the hallway , my steward was there. He came in and we watched the news together, we were stunned. I wanted to go back and help. We had food and water. A lot of people didn't know, the CD or the Captain, I can't remember which, made an announcement a few hours later. Someone started a thread about it here on CC and I posted live to the thread as much as I could. It was all I could think about for the rest of the week. Because of that, I feel a connection to the people of Haiti, I would love to donate to Todd's cause.

The quake happened at 5pm. I was getting dressed for dinner and put on CNN, that is where I heard. I ran out into the hallway , my steward was there. He came in and we watched the news together, we were stunned. I wanted to go back and help. We had food and water. A lot of people didn't know, the CD or the Captain, I can't remember which, made an announcement a few hours later. Someone started a thread about it here on CC and I posted live to the thread as much as I could. It was all I could think about for the rest of the week. Because of that, I feel a connection to the people of Haiti, I would love to donate to Todd's cause.

I'm sure the captain new before anyone else. Including the general news. A tsunami warning was put out immediately off the coast which would have went out to the ship.

I'm sure the captain new before anyone else. Including the general news. A tsunami warning was put out immediately off the coast which would have went out to the ship.

You're probably right. I saw the tsunami warning on CNN and I was scared. I didn't know if it would make us capsize or what? The staff on board didn't really talk about it. I think they were told not to to avoid ruining the "vacation experience" for the guests, you know? There was a rumor going around that Haitian employees were allowed to take a tender back to Haiti, I never found out if this was true.

I am curious too. We sail on her March 8 next year. Perhaps we can leave some items on board for you to take to the school.

Andrew

We are missing you by one week. We will be on Allure the week before you sail. How was your recent cruise?

We are missing you by one week. We will be on Allure the week before you sail. How was your recent cruise?

Todd, sorry for the thread steal.

Ocean Boy, that is too bad. It would be nice to meet you one day. The thing about cruising is, there is always a chance on the next cruise.:D

The weather was amazing and the seas were nice to super smooth. It rained for 2 minutes as we water taxied into St Maartin. We spent half the days at the kid zone pool (tried not to think of what was in the water) with our DS Owen for sea days and the other half doing grown up things while he was in the Kids Zone. Which translates into, Lisa went to the Beach Pool and I went to the flow rider.

I improved quite a bit this sailing. This is a link to me riding one night when 3 of us rented it out. http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/Li...0cfdc.mp4.html By the end of the sailing I was carving fairly well at the top of the Anchor. This video was towards the beginning of the session. I will be working on spins and putting in at the top on our next sailing in November whish is just the two of us. Who know maybe Best of the Best show could be in my future but that really depends on how good the other riders are. We spent port days with him for the whole day at the beaches.

You know we kept him healthy all summer and less than 4 days in school and he already has a cold and has passed it on to us. Why don't they wash hands at school like we do at home? At 6 you wish they would have a sink in the class for them use, or at worst Purell. Oh well, at least the weather is still good here.

Ate a few times at the WJ, MDR room service, and put in a special request and had Chops delivered to our cabin.;) A great balcony dinner on deck 17 while we watched our friends on the flow rider. Best of both worlds. Still have yet to eat in the MDR on Oasis and Allure. We are working on that medal.

Hope you are doing well at your end. As always time off is well deserved.

Andrew

Todd, I live in your area (St.C) and would love to contribute to your donations. I think it is amazing what you and your family did, I know every little bit helps them and we are all so blessed. I don't know how I can contact you or send you my email address (maybe through a Facebook page?)

I am sailing on the Oasis next week and I am definitely rethinking making a purchase from one of the artisans now.

Thank you to you and your family for sharing that amazing experience with us.

Resurrecting this thread...

WE ARE GOING BACK TO HAITI in March 2014 again. This time, we'll just bring some supplies for the school, but probably not make the journey again. This time, I plan on taking full advantage of the Cabana I've already booked.

Sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread, but I'm just so pumped to be going back to Labadee!

Aww I am so glad to hear you are going back to Labadee in March and continuing to support the school :D

Sadly it will be some time before I get back to the school as my next planned cruises do not go to Labadee (our Critters Project will be for Make A Wish in 2015)

Thank you so much Todd & family for what you continue to do for the children of Labadee.

All the very best to you and your family :D

Wow thanks for sharing had heard about the school but really surprised RCI Keeps quiet about it. sort of things most companies would shout about. Drop off point at labadee would be great for taking supplies. But imagine if more people knew how many dollars would be donated maybe enough to expand the school most people would put in something.

Again thanks for sharing.

Stu K

Stu, it could be because of their partnership with Make a Wish that they don't advertise this as well, but I would love to see them do something too.

Turns out Todd works with my husband (It's a Small World will be running through my head all day now!) and a kudos to he and his family for what they do, I think it is just awesome!

Elizanessie was my main source of information on the school in Haiti since she has made the same trip up the (very bumpy) hill to the school. She had conversations with some of the site managers, as well as RC folks who said this about suggstions for Royal Caribbean setting up a donations box of some sort:

She says:

I did suggest a drop off box to someone at Royal Caribbean when we got back from that first Critters Project but I was told no they could not do that. Basically someone would have to check what was left in the box to see if items were safe and suitable etc etc...and that would take time away from their normal work to look after the box and delivery of items and so on and so on. So although a great idea, sadly they won't do it.

I will tell you that everyone involved in Labadee is very engaged in their jobs as well as the betterment of the area of Labadee. I think RC is doing a great job, and I'm very glad to have been able to witness such a small part of it.

As mentioned before, this time it's just my wife and I cruising, and we're likely not going to visit the school this time, although I will try to ask if we can be there for maybe 1 hour- but will bring a few bankers boxes of supplies.

That was very nice of your family to collect (and schlep!) those supplies on your vacation. Kudos for teaching your kids to serve others.

I didn't realize Royal Caribbean even built a school there. I found this article about it on the RCI website: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=lecole_nouvelle_royal_caribbean

The only thing I find slightly sad is the RCI felt the need to name the school for themselves, and that the uniforms have their logo on them. Why not instead honor the cultural or history of Haiti, and leave the corporation out of it?

I also hope that they limit the tourist visits...I am seeing more and more of these third world school tours for people visiting different islands...am I the only one who finds this to be a disturbing trend? Poor schoolchildren aren't zoo animals...

Toddcan, I do not mean this to be a criticism of you at all- thank you for posting about your experience!

I actually had the same thought about Royal Caribbean being the name of the school and also on the uniforms. And, you're right, school children--or anyone for that matter--aren't zoo animals, so I hope they aren't selling organized tours to the school.

OP--not critizing you either. You lived there, speak the language, obviously have regard for the people there, so I have no doubt that your family's trip there was for the benefit of the kids and their community. I think it's very nice what you did.

It's just that I hope Royal Caribbean set up this school for the right reasons and not for advertising/marketing opportunities or to simply make their company look good.

I actually had the same thought about Royal Caribbean being the name of the school and also on the uniforms. And, you're right, school children--or anyone for that matter--aren't zoo animals, so I hope they aren't selling organized tours to the school.

OP--not critizing you either. You lived there, speak the language, obviously have regard for the people there, so I have no doubt that your family's trip there was for the benefit of the kids and their community. I think it's very nice what you did.

It's just that I hope Royal Caribbean set up this school for the right reasons and not for advertising/marketing opportunities or to simply make their company look good.

Could not be further from the truth. Royal Caribbean does not offer tours to the school. They do not advertize the aid they gave to Haiti. They are actually quite humble about it. It actually took some convincing to allow us to make the trip.

In my opinion, RC most certainly set up the school for the right reasons.

RCI does nothing to advertise their sponsorship of this school so there really is no reason to look for ulterior motives on their part. If not for reading these boards most of us would never have heard about this school and that includes people who know a lot about RCI.

Archived