Just off the broken Dream the good and the bad

floridagal062

Karysa

We really enjoyed our short time on the ship. The crew on there is the best I've seen. It does make sense that an 11 day would have more retired people. But all of the passengers we spoke to were extremely nice and friendly. And just because they are older does not mean they dont know how to have a good time. I did see the couples show with the balloons. It was soooo funny

Later that night around 11:30 pm is when we had the meeting with the carnival cruise care team and yes he told us carnival would pay for expenses. I told him after all the lies I was told all day how did I know they they would not leave us stranded on the island with no passport and no way home. They did say this to one other couple and they were retired and said they would be happy to stay on the island and ofcourse they found them a room on the ship right away. I believe they were trying to scare people into saying fine I will just fly then.

I do not take anything away from what they did right which was everything else. They played cnn on the big screen by the pool saying how rough we had it and we all cheered and laughed. They went out of their way to make it right to everone i guess we just fell in a crack. lol I cant imagine finding flights for 3500 people in 2 1/2 days.

How frustrating for you to get so many different answers in a short time frame - and I feel terrible for your friend that experiences anxiety attacks. I would not have been comfortable staying on the island for 10 days without a passport. I don't think that Carnival would've forgotten about you or stranded you there, but I would have had a hard time relaxing about the situation. I think it's totally funny/ironic that the couple that volunteered to stay on the island had a cabin on the other ship found for them rather quickly. I'm glad you all made it home safely! Now you need a vacation from your vacation! lol!

che5904

Its not an issue of poor communication. It's simply that you do not tell someone repeatedly they are booked on a ship and the papers are on the way if it is not true. The last time they told us they are being delivered right now. If it is taking a long time to figure out what to do with us fine, tell us that. But you dont tell them different for 2 days then change it at 11pm the night before. Thats all I am saying was a problem. And Jamie even told me we were the first ones there to list a problem. We went down imediately after the announcement. We gave our info several times a day for 4 days and the lady that called me that night said she just found out about us.

che5904

Its not an issue of poor communication. It's simply that you do not tell someone repeatedly they are booked on a ship and the papers are on the way if it is not true. The last time they told us they are being delivered right now. If it is taking a long time to figure out what to do with us fine, tell us that. But you dont tell them different for 2 days then change it at 11pm the night before. Thats all I am saying was a problem. And Jamie even told me we were the first ones there to list a problem. We went down imediately after the announcement. We gave our info several times a day for 4 days and the lady that called me that night said she just found out about us.

See what I have bolded. Back when I went to school that was called poor communication. Communicating with a customer requires accurate/truthful, up to date information and following through with what is told. I certainly wasn't praising Carnival for a serious lack in that area. So whether it is not sharing information with customers or sharing incorrect information with customers amounts to the same thing in my books...wrong! And as I said I'm seeing this complaint repeatedly.

che5904

How did your friend make out once she was on the Sun? Was she able to enjoy the ship a little?

Karysa

We really enjoyed our short time on the ship. The crew on there is the best I've seen. It does make sense that an 11 day would have more retired people. But all of the passengers we spoke to were extremely nice and friendly. And just because they are older does not mean they dont know how to have a good time. I did see the couples show with the balloons. It was soooo funny

I am glad that your experience on board the Sun was positive. Being on both the New Year's sailing and this past one I can tell you that the energy was definitly not the same.

I missed the couples show but one of my DD's won the Kareoke contest if you happened to see that show on the last night of the cruise.:)

I understand the problems the op was facing. However, you should always be prepared to have a change of transportation, just in case. What if you were in Belize, and had an accident, and had to be med-vac'd? This would have been done by a helicopter, and then a flight home. I don't think Carnival did wrong here. Actually, I think they went way above and beyond to accomodate those who cannot or do not want to fly by placing them on another lines ship. It had to be quite a task getting it all okayed and so forth.

As far as the relative that had panic attacks, been there, did that. Yes, they can be devastating and also make you feel as if you are having a heart attack. I no longer have them. Zanax was my friend when I did. Just a half a pill, and it would stop the attack immediately. Your relative might want to look into this before traveling. Just a little helpful tip. The last attack I had was on my granddaughters birthday. We were going to her party, and a full blown attack started coming over me. I told myself... no, i am not going to let this happen. It stopped . I haven't had one in over 13 years now. Some people believe we are all energy and we can heal ourselves with our mind. I don't believe that personally, well, except for this one time....:rolleyes:

Everyone is different. DH wont fly due to panic attacks and claustrophobia. There are not enough Xanax's on the planet that would make him fly. BTY, No one wants to fly more than he does. What works for some is not the answer for everyone.

Thank you for sharing what happened. I agree the communication should of been better, or at least more "honest" with time frames/keeping things general instead of promising call backs within a short timeframe. Working in hospitality I never promise guests exact things unless I know 110% it will happen (or I make sure to follow up if I have to pass something off to management/different department).

I can't imagine what the Carnival crew was going through trying to relocate thousands of passengers, but hopefully they also learned lessons incase it happens again.

Thanks again for sharing a real point of view! Much better than over-hyped disaster style CNN reporting. I loved what you said about watching it on the big screen and people laughing & cheering.

Most (all?) ships sail full but I guess there are the occasional last minute "no shows." I'm sure it would be easier to take two people onto another ship than a group of people.

I'm sure that it was difficult to get an actual head count of how many people were leaving the Star and not returning. This is generally something that is not completed until the manifest is actually turned over to the port authority.

Carnival was at the mercy of the Norwegian Star's communications as well. And they might have been trying to coordinate with fellow Carnival ships that were scheduled to come into port within the week, trying to keep families and groups together. It's not like being able to charter entire planes.

None of this is an excuse for Carnival. They generally suck at communications. I am just trying to mentally put together the scenario that was most likely taking place there.

Was it all 20 of you or just the six of you that needed the ship's transportation? Forgive me if you mentioned it, I just don't remember. I am so glad this adventure turned out well for you all. If the Dream had not broken down, you all would have had a wonderful cruise and fun memories but since it did happen you now can say you had a wonderful cruise and an entire new adventure added onto it. I hope this is how you all will feel once you are settled back to your usual routines and feel safe at home.

I am also so very glad to see where some cruise lines are willing to accommodate people who cannot fly...for whatever reason. I am one of those who would be having a panic attack. I know that feeling all too well and it happened just a few months ago. I do have a few methods to keep it down to a minimum.

And for all of you who keep using the excuse that one day they might have a medi-vac emergency just drop that, please. The statistics of that happening is so minimal and even if it did happen, I am sure the person would have a whole lot more to worry about and also have access to meds to reduce the stress or even wipe them out. I have to admit though, if I had to be medivac-ed up into a helicopter I would just tell them to go ahead and kill me first. :eek:

There were many aspects that made it wonderful. How many times do you get 5 full days in an island. We were given free water taxi rides to the beach everyday and did not have to be back on the ship until 6am each day. We had a balcony room that overlooked the most beatiful part of the island to wake up to each morning. I had my 4 children they significant others and 3 grandchildren on the cruise with me. Also my fav cousins and their families. Other than one really bad 24 hours it was wonderful.

OP, thanks for sharing your story. There was a thread wondering what would happen to Dream pax who couldn't fly, and now we know.

Did you receive letters authorizing travel without passports from US CBP by any chance? It was reported that all the air travelers did.

Here is my opinion. You contracted for transportation on a ship not a plane flight. I think Carnival is obligated to comply in any reasonable way but I'm no lawyer.

However if I take a bus cross town and it breaks down should I be prepaired for a helicopter ride home? No.

Poor communication is polite word for lied to where I come from.

I do know the difference since I have been lied to by the CSR rep handling my canceled March 16 sailing. Feel free to read my roll call post.

Finally from one Floridian to another...Welcome home! Glad you had a great time. :D

I do know the difference since I have been lied to by the CSR rep handling my canceled March 16 sailing. Feel free to read my roll call post.

I saw your post. I felt so bad for everyone who was so looking forward to their cruise. We almost booked that week. Some of the carnival employees are just jerks. I cant believe he was that rude to you. My friend that had to panic attack call them today and asked for a higher up and the lady just laughed at her. I always loved my carnival cruises but Im started to see why they have such a bad reputation

Thanks so much for posting your experience on this cruise.

It now makes me wonder for sure if I should book a cruise on the first week of my 2 weeks vacation just incase we get stranded. That would give me 7 extras days to find my way home.

I know that if we were retired and had no job to go back too we would be ok.

Fred

Everyone is different. DH wont fly due to panic attacks and claustrophobia. There are not enough Xanax's on the planet that would make him fly. BTY, No one wants to fly more than he does. What works for some is not the answer for everyone.

I understand that everyone is not the same. Just stating my experience with panic attacks and my understanding of the problem her friend was having. I feel for anyone who has to deal with these things.

I saw your post. I felt so bad for everyone who was so looking forward to their cruise. We almost booked that week. Some of the carnival employees are just jerks. I cant believe he was that rude to you. My friend that had to panic attack call them today and asked for a higher up and the lady just laughed at her. I always loved my carnival cruises but Im started to see why they have such a bad reputation

Your friend may want to email or snail mail a higher up. It is easier than calling at this time. Also, she may want to call the guest service relations department. 1-800-929-6400. This is the number to call for people that have had an issue with a recent past cruise. Hope this helps

Archived