Arriving day of cruise.

daniels5759

We will be flying into Barcelona at 7:30 am the day of cruise. Any suggestions on transport to cruise and how to kill a couple of hours before we can board the ship assuming our flight arrives on time. We just could not take an extra day off work to arrive the day before as it is a 12 day cruise. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Take a cab from airport to ship(about 35 euros) and see if you can check in your bags. The port is in the downtown area and then take the port bus to the bottom of La rambals or walk along the water.If you get there early you will have time and for the most part never out of site of the ship.

Take a cab from airport to ship(about 35 euros) and see if you can check in your bags. The port is in the downtown area and then take the port bus to the bottom of La rambals or walk along the water.If you get there early you will have time and for the most part never out of site of the ship.

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I am thinking it will take at least

an hour to get off the plane and get our bags and then the taxi ride to

the port it should be late enough to check our bags.

We did the same thing as you, arriving to Barcelona on the morning of our 12 night Solstice cruise. We don't sleep well (if at all) on planes so I knew we'd do better choosing the easy route, ie. booking the ship's transfer to the port. I was so glad we did that! I think it was around $35 per person? Anyway, it was a no-brainer (which is what we needed, seeing that we were brain-dead from the transatlantic flight :rolleyes:). We saw the signs for the bus transfer as soon as we got out of customs and we just followed the herd onto the bus. Despite it being early in the morning, we really didn't have to wait very long at all at the cruise terminal before we were allowed to board at around 11 am. Officially boarding started at 2 pm but that wasn't the case, thank goodness! Once you're past security, you'll find a small liquor store where you can get your allowed bottles of wine for your cabin if you'd like.

We had the best intentions of doing some sightseeing in Barcelona since we didn't sail until 5 pm but honestly, we ended up boarding early and conking out by the pool until mid-afternoon! It was kinda funny. We were the first ones at the pool and by the time we woke up, we were surrounded by a sea of snoring passengers. :D

We did the same thing as you, arriving to Barcelona on the morning of our 12 night Solstice cruise. We don't sleep well (if at all) on planes so I knew we'd do better choosing the easy route, ie. booking the ship's transfer to the port. I was so glad we did that! I think it was around $35 per person? Anyway, it was a no-brainer (which is what we needed, seeing that we were brain-dead from the transatlantic flight :rolleyes:). We saw the signs for the bus transfer as soon as we got out of customs and we just followed the herd onto the bus. Despite it being early in the morning, we really didn't have to wait very long at all at the cruise terminal before we were allowed to board at around 11 am. Officially boarding started at 2 pm but that wasn't the case, thank goodness! Once you're past security, you'll find a small liquor store where you can get your allowed bottles of wine for your cabin if you'd like.

We had the best intentions of doing some sightseeing in Barcelona since we didn't sail until 5 pm but honestly, we ended up boarding early and conking out by the pool until mid-afternoon! It was kinda funny. We were the first ones at the pool and by the time we woke up, we were surrounded by a sea of snoring passengers. :D

Question for you: Do they have white wine as well as red?

This also sounds like a good idea. We will probably be worn out from the flight. I didn't know if the cruise ship transfers would pick us up that early.

We have booked fat tyre bicycle tours for our arrival day. They will store luggage while you do a bike tour of the city. We have gone for a private tour so we can tailor it to our time frame and interests. Really looking forward to it. My husband hates sight seeing but likes activities so hopefully a happy compromise.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

We also arrived on an early flight from the States on the same day as the cruise for our Barcelona cruise. My grand plan was to take a taxi from the airport and drop our bags off as soon as they would take them and then go back into city for a few hours of sightseeing before returning later in the afternoon for checkin and departure. We had planned on either taking a taxi back into the city or possibly checking out the Blue Bus that takes you back and forth between the port and the Columbus Monument. We were at the port by about 9am (we took a taxi from the airport). They were unable to take our bags until about 10am because the workers were still processing the passengers getting OFF the ship. By the time they took our bags (there wasn't much place to sit while we waited due to the many people getting off the ship waiting for their transportation) we had switched to Plan B. We decided to just get on the ship as soon as possible and relax rather than try to sightsee. They let us in the air conditioned terminal building by about 10:30 and started processing us a little after 11:00. We were on ship by about 11:30 having lunch while we waited for our cabins to be prepared (we got in them around 1:00pm). We think it was a better decision for us at the time. We still had one day post-cruise to explore Barcelona, so we didn't feel too disappointed.

We also arrived on an early flight from the States on the same day as the cruise for our Barcelona cruise. My grand plan was to take a taxi from the airport and drop our bags off as soon as they would take them and then go back into city for a few hours of sightseeing before returning later in the afternoon for checkin and departure. We had planned on either taking a taxi back into the city or possibly checking out the Blue Bus that takes you back and forth between the port and the Columbus Monument. We were at the port by about 9am (we took a taxi from the airport). They were unable to take our bags until about 10am because the workers were still processing the passengers getting OFF the ship. By the time they took our bags (there wasn't much place to sit while we waited due to the many people getting off the ship waiting for their transportation) we had switched to Plan B. We decided to just get on the ship as soon as possible and relax rather than try to sightsee. They let us in the air conditioned terminal building by about 10:30 and started processing us a little after 11:00. We were on ship by about 11:30 having lunch while we waited for our cabins to be prepared (we got in them around 1:00pm). We think it was a better decision for us at the time. We still had one day post-cruise to explore Barcelona, so we didn't feel too disappointed.

This is probably what we will do. I am hoping we can get ship transportation and not have to worry about our luggage while we wait to get on the ship. I like to get on board as early as I can since it is considered as first cruise day. Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. Carol

When my friend and I arrived in Barcelona the same morning as our cruise we grabbed a cab....then asked the driver to tour us around a bit on the way to the port. He obliged...we saw the outside of La Sangrada and hopped out of the cab a few times at other sites. I can't remember what we paid but it must not have been too much...we were on a tight budget. Anyway...it was better than seeing nothing!

Question for you: Do they have white wine as well as red?

The liquor stores (there are 2) you will encounter once you are through security carries all types of wines as well as hard liquor. You can bring whatever you want onboard just don't be too obvious. You are already through security so no problem. We bought several bottles of wine and rum and vodka. No problem. Just carried them onboard in a bag.

We did the same thing. I don't know about you, but we were exhausted after the red eye. We simply went to the port, waited for the porters to take our luggage, and then had coffee in cafe that is attached to the terminal. Soon it was time to check in and be allowed on the ship. After lunch we went up to the deck grabbed a couple of lounge chairs and took a power nap until our room was ready.:)

We did the same thing. I don't know about you, but we were exhausted after the red eye. We simply went to the port, waited for the porters to take our luggage, and then had coffee in cafe that is attached to the terminal. Soon it was time to check in and be allowed on the ship. After lunch we went up to the deck grabbed a couple of lounge chairs and took a power nap until our room was ready.:)

Thanks, it is good to know there is a cafe in the terminal. I am sure we

will be exhausted too.

Well, first we would change our air reservations (if possible) and fly-in at least 1 day early. But if that is not possible then the OP should consider that if their flight lands at 7:30 (on time flights are nice when they actually occur) it will probably be after 8:30 until they have their luggage (at least you can hope they get their luggage) and are ready to leave the airport. At that point you can grab a taxi to the port where you should be able to drop your luggage. Then you can decide if you have the energy to run around Barcelona with your carry-on stuff in tow. Reality is that the carry-on stuff is often the big hindrance. Actually, after a long flight DW and I would probably just walk into town (it takes us about 25 min) since we would love a chance to walk and stretch our limbs....and its actually a nice stroll over the bridge where you get a good view of the harbor. We would then walk up the Ramblas and browse in the La Boquaria Market (this is in a building off the left as you walk up the Ramblas) which is one of our favorite places to soak up the atmosphere and having a morning cappuccino.

Hank

We are arriving from the US at 9:30 the day of the cruise. My DW wants to go straight to the port due to lack of sleep. I am, however, investigating a quick 2 hour private "transfer" tours from Barcelona day tours and similiar outfits. I am hoping to at least see la Sagrada Família & Montjuïc Castle before getting to the cruise ship. Nice compromise and should not be too tiring.

Following this thread since we are also arriving to Barcelona the morning of our cruise. I was looking into day hotels and found one by the airport with a free shuttle from the airport, and a free shuttle into town. I'm thinking it may be worth spending the extra Euros to have a little place to stash our stuff and clean up after our long flight.

The liquor stores (there are 2) you will encounter once you are through security carries all types of wines as well as hard liquor. You can bring whatever you want onboard just don't be too obvious. You are already through security so no problem. We bought several bottles of wine and rum and vodka. No problem. Just carried them onboard in a bag.

What cruise line were you going on where you were so easily able to bring on bottles of liquor?! (Sorry, I'm new to this thread)

Budgetfairytale,

What are the day hotels and how much are they? We haven't gotten our flight yet, but may be flying into Barcelona morning of cruise.

Any place to get six pack of soda near port?

Thanks

Byhours.com is one site, between9and5.com is another. They are hotels you can book during the day or for a set number of hours. Seems like ones in Barcelona run around 40-60eu 6-12 hours, for the day I'm looking at.

I haven't been personally but I've read the port has convenience shops within the terminal.

Well, first we would change our air reservations (if possible) and fly-in at least 1 day early. But if that is not possible then the OP should consider that if their flight lands at 7:30 (on time flights are nice when they actually occur) it will probably be after 8:30 until they have their luggage (at least you can hope they get their luggage) and are ready to leave the airport. At that point you can grab a taxi to the port where you should be able to drop your luggage. Then you can decide if you have the energy to run around Barcelona with your carry-on stuff in tow. Reality is that the carry-on stuff is often the big hindrance. Actually, after a long flight DW and I would probably just walk into town (it takes us about 25 min) since we would love a chance to walk and stretch our limbs....and its actually a nice stroll over the bridge where you get a good view of the harbor. We would then walk up the Ramblas and browse in the La Boquaria Market (this is in a building off the left as you walk up the Ramblas) which is one of our favorite places to soak up the atmosphere and having a morning cappuccino.

Hank

I wish we could fly in a day earlier but we are already stretching it with 13 days. We own a small printing company and we only have 3 other employees so we really don't want to be gone any longer. On the other hand I was able to get a really good price on first class airline tickets so maybe we will be able to sleep on the plane and will feel like walking around the market. Hopefully I won't have a carry on to drag around. I'm still trying to work on that.:rolleyes: Thanks for your suggestions. I would like to see a little of Barcelona as it will probably be a while before we will able to visit there again.

Carol

I wish we could fly in a day earlier but we are already stretching it with 13 days. We own a small printing company and we only have 3 other employees so we really don't want to be gone any longer. On the other hand I was able to get a really good price on first class airline tickets so maybe we will be able to sleep on the plane and will feel like walking around the market. Hopefully I won't have a carry on to drag around. I'm still trying to work on that.:rolleyes: Thanks for your suggestions. I would like to see a little of Barcelona as it will probably be a while before we will able to visit there again.

Carol

Well that does limit your options. There is a luggage storage facility at the main train station, but that is simply a very inconvenient location when leaving on a cruise. So we would probably head straight to the port where you should be able to drop your luggage. Of course the trick is to lighten-up your carry-on so you can lug it with you in Barcelona. DW and I have, for many years, used back-packs for our carry-on luggage. In this situation we would move some of our less valuable stuff from the back packs to our regular luggage and then turn that luggage in at the port. We would then manage with the backpacks holding our valuables. Just be aware that Barcelona has a problem with very good pickpockets (often gypsies) so you must always keep your valuables very secure. At the very least you would want some kind of neck wallet or money belt to carry currency, credit cards and your Passports. As to jewelry, the best thing is to leave good jewelry at home...but if you must....take extra care if you are carrying that stuff around town.

We understand that some folks would suggest hiring a taxi or local tour company who can hold your luggage in their vehicle why they drive you around Barcelona. This is an option (although it can be quite expensive) but personally, after a long overnight flight, we just love to be walking (rather then riding) or sitting in a café.

Hank

Archived