The Gem is a Gem

Richpontone

The Gem 9 day cruise from 3/13/2013 to 3/22/2013 was the best NCL cruise that I ever took and I have been on 7 of them. I did the same cruise on the Spirit three years ago and rated it a 5 out of a 10. This cruise, I rate it a 15 out of a 10. The ship, the staff, the entertainment and the ports were great and the food was good. I got much more value than what I paid for it.

Sinan, is the best Cruise Director in NCL. He headed the best entertainment package on a NCL ship. Also, he is funny, witty, and a ball of high energy and he talks and listens to passengers. A case in point--five minutes before hosting a show in the Spinnaker Lounge, my wife complains about no running water in the public restroom. Most CDs would have told her to complain to the Hotel Director. Not Sinan, he got his cell phone and called the plumbing department. This is beyond dedication. In addition, he delivered the best stand up comedy monologue on the cruise that brought belly laughs from the 600 passengers in the Stardust Theater in the final Talent show, and in the same show, his non verbal comedic acting made the “Fountains” sketch. Unfortunately, he is leaving for the Epic soon-a loss for the Gem. His leading the late nite Liars Club and Couples Game was so funny.

Jonathan, my cabin steward, was superb in making up my room. He is as close to a concierge that an non-villa passenger could get.

Hazel, the waitress in the Grand Pacific, and Michael Nuevo and Jean Padasas, waiters in the Magenta, provided intelligent, quick service. My wife and I were treated as Kings and Queens. Insist on getting tables served by them. Unfortunately, Michael is going to the Breakaway.

Dizzy from Man from Mars is a great acrobat and a great non verbal comedic performer. But in the final talent show, he performed verbal comedy and magical tricks that amazed everyone. How many performers can do magical, comedy and acrobatic acts.

Dr. Scott Lewis is a great hypnotist. He made passengers dance, and play imaginary musical instruments during his nitely show. But the most amazing thing was his self hypnosis sessions. From the first one, I stopped binge eating and stuffing my face for the rest of the cruise, and the second session, I started living stress free and not worry about anything. Before that, I was a mass of nerves worrying about everything. I was a skeptic of hypnosis before, but not anymore.

Aaron Shaw is not the best singer on the cruise but the best singer in this country. He sang as well as Bocelli in singing opera and as well as Michael Bubble in singing old and new romantic songs. He almost brought me to tears in singing “Music of the Night” from Phantom of the Opera and I am not a emotional guy. This guy should be doing Vegas and Broadway, and I hope he gets his break. Started singing at age 17 and never was considered as the singer in his family. Unfortunately, for all future passengers, this was his last cruise.

Kansos, JD, Daphne, and Leo provided superb live music performances throughout the ship.

Tim Kaminski, is a great comedian and brought the house down with his shows where he had passengers performed role playing in singing and dancing.

NCL dancers were great. Beth Anne and Audrey sang great during the nightly shows. Richard Park Brown sang well and acted with such stage presence in both leading and background roles. He also did a solo singing act doing songs from the Rat Pack. He gives 150 percent effort in all that he does. Should be on Broadway.

All in all the entertainment, the activities, the food, the service, the driving of the ship, were great. I recommend this cruise to everyone.

Mr. Sheehan, the Gem is the pride of your fleet.

Having been on about 20 cruises, from the Celebrity Zenith to the Allure of the seas, I agree with you! The Norwegian Gem was my favorite cruise as well. Many good memories on that ship. Sinan was just the "Bingo boy" when I sailed 2 years ago. Glad to hear he is doing a good job.

Went to my CC meet and greet, and the officers were there for less than ten minutes. They introduced themselves and then left. Steve is the hotel director on the Gem and you can leave written complaints about service on forms to the left of the 7th floor reception desk. We spoke to Jenny Lim who is the food and beverage director. We knew her from our previous Gem cruise and she remembered us from two years ago. If you go to the lattitudes party, you will get to see the officers and the captain, who is a very good comedian. Sinan is the most accessible officer who is open and willing to listen to passengers. One thing that Sinan tells you at the start of the cruise, don't shake people's hands. That is how you get the stomach bug, the Noro virus. Only thorough hand washing with hot water and soap gets the virus off your hands. Alcohol based hand sanitizer does not kill the virus.

Sinan, is the best Cruise Director in NCL. He headed the best entertainment package on a NCL ship. Also, he is funny, witty, and a ball of high energy and he talks and listens to passengers. A case in point--five minutes before hosting a show in the Spinnaker Lounge, my wife complains about no running water in the public restroom. Most CDs would have told her to complain to the Hotel Director. Not Sinan, he got his cell phone and called the plumbing department. This is beyond dedication. In addition, he delivered the best stand up comedy monologue on the cruise that brought belly laughs from the 600 passengers in the Stardust Theater in the final Talent show, and in the same show, his non verbal comedic acting made the “Fountains” sketch. Unfortunately, he is leaving for the Epic soon-a loss for the Gem.

I'll be cruising on the Gem on April 9th. Do you know when Sinan is leaving the Gem?

Cindy

Couldn't agree more as I have sailed her twice & my CC review was just chosen as Review of the Month..more chatzkas (sp?) on the way.

We had Big Ken & Paul as CDs on these cruises so unfortunately haven't met Sinan.

Our Meet & Greet was headed by Steve Knott, HD who was very affable and entertained numerous questions & mingled w/guests on the cruise.

And the staff is so great - makes one always want to return.

Interesting to read the review--i was on the previous cruise and felt i was dissapointed-and also am a Platinum member-so i have many to compare to

-i thought Sinan was not fit for his job, compared to other CD I had on NCL, he had no talent and was difficult to understand.

I guess that is what makes the world go round--

The Gem is my favorite ship and I can not wait to be back on it in May. I think Sinan rocks, and I am so happy to sail with him again. It was great to hear that you had a wonderful cruise, and thanks for sharing your experience.:)

Cherie

Thanks for the review. We also love the Gem and Sinan, and am sorry to hear that he will be leaving the Gem since we have our next 3 cruises booked on her!

Sinan did a great job during hurricane Sandy and kept up his energy throughout the tough time with many anxious passengers. Hopefully we'll sail with him again one day

I'm so sad to hear that Sinan will be leaving! I also met him as Bingo Boy when I was on the Dawn a few years ago. He was definitely one of the highlights of that cruise and I was so excited to hear that he was CD on the Gem.

Your review really made me antsy for NOvember! Can't come soon enough!

Yay! Less than a month ... I'm there!!!

Thanks for the review!

How crowded did you find the pool areas/loungers?

Any other 'secrets' or tips?

Here are several tips

1. Try to get to the MDR for dinner before 7 pm. 5:30 to 6:30 or after 8 pm is great if you don't want to wait for a table. In the Grand Pacific, ask for a table served by Hazel or Jean Padasus in the Magenta. Great intelligent fast waitresses. I prefer Magenta, it is more intimate.

2. From 6 pm to 8 pm, there are great live musical acts in the atrium and Magnums. Don't miss them.

3. Always wash your hands with hot water and soap before eating. It will prevent from getting the stomach virus. Don't shake hands, touch walls or surfaces and as the sign says in the rest rooms, use a paper towel in opening the bathroom door after washing. Alcohol based sanitizers don't protect you from that virus.

4. Get a ship floor map from the reception desk when you first get on the ship and use it.

5. When you first get on the ship, remember you pay for that welcome aboard drink.

6. Go to the 7 or 9 pm show in the Stardust, they never disappoint. Get to the Stardust 10 minutes early if you want a good front row seat. Bring a sweater.

7. When you press the button to get an elevator, go directly where the stairway bannister is. You will keep out of every one's way and you will get a panoramic view of all four elevator, only one of which will be the right one for you.

8. Pool gets crowded. Get there in the morning for a less crowded time.

9. If you go from NYC,you can usually board at 11:30 to 12 noon. You will breeze on the ship. After 1 pm, you may wait from 30 to 40 minutes unless you have priority boarding status. Get to the MDR for lunch. It closes at 2:30. Much preferable than going to the crowded buffet and better food too.

Good luck.

DW and I also cruised on the 3-13-2013 Gem cruise and we agree this was the best cruise of the 5 (Holland America, Carnival, Princes, Royal Caribbean) we have been on. I plan to post a full review after I catch up on things.

Archived