Passport Denied.

I just have to say that I hope the op has suggested to her friend to get this cleared up. We don't know the true reason why the person was denied but he was. That raises many flags. In 2014 you will need your passport to fly if you don't have one of these new real ID drivers licenses. Get the problems fixed now. They will just compound.

Whether he is up to date on child support or not is really not my business nor for me to judge whether he has his priorities in life correct or not. All I see are red flags and they need to be dealt with.

Some of you should get off your high horse. When some one throws up a post saying they know a guy going on a cruise when he owes back child support, what kind of responses would you expect? It's human nature. The OP really didn't think this one through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People who choose to air their intimate personal business (or their friend's intimate personal business) on a public discussion board leave themselves open for this type of discussion.

Sorry -- it is not a one-way street.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport

PrintEmail

If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport.

You should make arrangements to pay the state where child support is owed BEFORE you submit your application for a U.S. passport. All questions about your child support arrears or the status of a payment should be directed to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency.

Once payment is arranged, it may take 2-3 weeks before Passport Services is permitted to process your application. See details of this process in the chart below:

State Child Support Chart for Obtaining your U.S. Passport

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Passport Services has no information concerning individuals' child support obligations and has no authority to take action until HHS removes your name from its list.

All of the above information is detailed in Section 51.60 (a) (2) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations

This is a "discussion" board. Doesn't that mean discussion?

If we are not allowed to discuss and are only allowed to answer the OP's question, then every thread on cruise critic should consist of two posts after the original post -- one post providing a two line answer to the question, and another post with the OP coming back to say thank you.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Here is the topic of 'discussion' for this thread:

Does anybody know if a denied passport means he cannot leave the country? Will homeland security review the manifest and he be denied boarding at the port? Any insight is helpful! Thanks.

By your, and others, saying that the fellow 'should spend his money on child support, not on a cruise' is not a 'discussion', it's passing your judgement on how he chooses to spend his money. It's perhaps how we would spend our money because we feel that children come first...but it's not the topic of discussion for this thread.

Start a thread with the topic...."What comes first...child support payments or cruising payments?" You can then discuss your feelings and opinions on that topic. I can't say that the thread would last too long...:p...but you can discuss it for as long as it lasts.

JMHO :D

This is the official information from the Office of Child Support Enforcement. It speaks for itself. For a passport to have been denied, the parent must be in arrears (or in default of an official agreement).

The rule appears cut and dry, and even says that the affected parent is notified before the Passport Denial when his case goes into the Federal Enforcement Program.

If it's an error, seek legal advice and get it fixed. If you choose not to get it fixed, don't try to re-enter the U.S. on a cruise because you are looking for trouble.

Trying my best NOT to be judgmental, what distinguishes this case from the typical case of someone cruising with a birth certificate being surprised by the police upon re-entry to the U.S. for something that happened years ago and was probably forgotten, in this case according to the law the party involved appears to have been forewarned of this problem, via the pre-notice when the case was turned over to Federal Enforcement, and by the actual passport denial.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Passport Denial

Information for Families

December 29, 2011

Information About:

Families

Topics:

Federal Systems, Passport Denial

Types:

Outreach/Brochures

Tags:

Collection & Enforcement Systems

inShare

Another tool provided to the States and Federal government by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) is Passport Denial. PRWORA requires the Secretary of State refuse to issue a passport to any person certified by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as owing a child support debt greater than $2,500. Further, the Secretary of State may take action to revoke, restrict, or limit a passport previously issued to an individual owing such a child support debt.

How does the program work?

All cases receiving full child support services through the local or State child support agency are eligible for Passport Denial. NCP's whose past-due support debt meets the criteria for certification to the Federal Collections Programs receives a Pre-Offset Notice explaining the process. This notice will include the amount of past-due support owed at the time it is sent. In addition, the Pre-Offset Notice includes information about the Passport Denial program, as well as information on the Federal Tax Refund and Administrative Offset programs.

Through the Federal Offset process, States submit to the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) those cases that meet the criteria for Federal Tax Refund and/or Administrative Offsets. When a State reports that an NCP's arrears exceeds $2,500, OCSE automatically forwards that name to the State Department for passport denial unless the State has specifically excluded that NCP from the Passport Denial Program.

When an individual applies for a passport, the State Department denies the application based on the child support obligation owed by the applicant. A notice is then sent by the State Department to the noncustodial parent explaining that the passport application was denied because of past-due child support. The applicant is advised to contact the appropriate State child support enforcement agency, a listing of which is included with the notice, for further information.

What steps should I take if my passport has been denied because of a child support debt?

You must contact your local child support agency to make satisfactory arrangements to pay your past-due support obligation. If more than one State reported your name to the Passport Denial program, you must reach an agreement with all States involved in order for the passport to be released.

Once the debt has been satisfied or a satisfactory agreement has been reached, the State(s) will request that OCSE remove your name from the passport denial program. After the denial of passport has been withdrawn, contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at 1-877-487-2778 or make an appointment at a regional passport agency.

I just have to say that I hope the op has suggested to her friend to get this cleared up. We don't know the true reason why the person was denied but he was. That raises many flags. In 2014 you will need your passport to fly if you don't have one of these new real ID drivers licenses. Get the problems fixed now. They will just compound.

Whether he is up to date on child support or not is really not my business nor for me to judge whether he has his priorities in life correct or not. All I see are red flags and they need to be dealt with.

Thanks for the info on real ID. NJ began to issue real-ID driver licenses in 2012, but many other states are opposed to it. The threat from the federal govt is that non-compliant states' licenses won't be accepted for federal purposes such as TSA airport screening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

... "a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's license or identification card issued by a state to any person unless the state is meeting the requirements" specified in the REAL ID Act... The federal Transportation Security Administration is responsible for security check-in at airports, so bearers of non-compliant documents would no longer be able to travel on common carrier aircraft without additional screening unless they had an alternative government-issued photo ID.

People born on or after December 1, 1964, will have to obtain a REAL ID by December 1, 2014. Those born before December 1, 1964, will have until December 1, 2017 to obtain their REAL ID.

My ex-husband was also unable to get a passport due to owing arrearage on his child support from his first marriage. He sailed several time with just a birth cert and drivers license. as far as folks thinking he shouldn't be allowed to take a vacation, there were many times when he got a check stub that read $0.00 because there was nothing left over after child support. So, if I felt inclined to treat him to a cruise, that' my choice. he sure as heck did not pay for it himself. At any rate, the OP did not ask for anyones opinion on whether or not the man should be "allowed" to cruise, they just asked if it was possible. So, OP the answer to your question is YES.

I thought that the Cruiseline computers are connected with Interpol and when they send the report 72 hours before assuming your friend filled out his SailPass with his information that the system may flag him. Or when he checks in they find out there is a warrant.

Once I was boarding an international flight at SFO and we were delayed at the gate because a person had some warrant and was taken off the plane by SF Police and TSA security.

I would have your friend talk with his lawyer to get a letter that he is on a payment plan and he is making timely payments. It would be much better than be arrested upon return to the USA.

How can he have the money to pay for a cruise but no money to help his children?

travelplus, this cruise was gifted to him by his girlfriend. He is absolutely not using money that should go to his child toward his vacation. That isn't even slightly the point.

Having been a child who "did without" because of a father who moved out of state specifically to avoid paying for his children's upkeep, I am firmly on the side of "Pay your bills, Deadbeat". If this thing has gone far enough that he can't get a passport, it's been going on a long time. If it's this severe, he's been to court multiple times and has had time to remedy the situation.

Again, thank you to all who have offered constructive advice. This question was posed after receiving news of denial on a Saturday AM, without many other avenues to consult. Obviously, our friends will be contacting the proper authorities on Monday morning.

As some have suggested, this post's intention was not to "sneak" someone out of the country. Seriously, get a hold of yourself. It was simply to address whether or not we had a larger issue at hand, which, of course, is being looked into.

As far as being a dead-beat dad, I hope you all take a long, hard look into the mirror. Any of you idiots out there could be slapped with a paternity suit tomorrow, and I hope that you are. Unless, of course, you're perfect, which it sounds like you are.

Kind regards, and happy sails.

Don't get carried away.You don't need to be perfect to avoid paternity suits. What did you expect when you put someone else's personal business on an open forum, rainbows and roses??:eek::confused:

That would mean spending a zillion on a credit card or similar program.

So once again he would be spending a fortune of money on something other than supporting his children.

Now please don't come at me with the possibility that all of those high credit card charges were for the children's school, school supplies and doctor visits when the children got sick.

Support your kids before going on a vacation, period.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Absolut correct view of point from Günther. What's all the fuzz about a passport here? Live a decent life, do not cruise or leave the country until child support is properly paid!

I don't buy the "surprise" factor of just finding out on Saturday.

As Mrs. Pete has pointed out and as stated in the law that I copied in a previous post, for this matter to have reached the Federal status of passport denial, the breaching parent had to have been served several official notices over many months.

The "surprise" was that the system actually works and he was actually denied his passport.

He's had months to fix this problem and now only appears interested in fixing it for a self-serving reason.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I did not get the impression at all that the OP was "slanting" the story at all. Thank you for proving my point.

Actually, I think Gunther is correct.

Before I read any of the replies, the thought that immediately popped into my head was this guy was trying to go on the cruise when he had other compelling personal issues in his life. He was also trying to cicumvent the fact that he wasn't supposed to leave the country at all.

I am not a strict letter of the law, if it's a rule then obey it type of person my self. But, I just can't seem to get the unpaid child support out of my head. If he's got the payment plan, and it's enough to cause his passport to be denied, then maybe now isn't a particularly good time in his life to go sailing off in the sunset with his girlfriend. Maybe taking care of his personal issues first is best.

Don't know, but the whole scenario just doesn't sit well in my mind. It just seems irresponsible to me, even if the girlfriend is giving him the cruise as a gift. I would wonder if HIS money isn't better spent (and we are also talking all the money spent on tips, bar tabs, shore excursions, pictures, specialty restauarants) catching up with the back child support, or taking the kids somewhere.

But, what do I know? Not much except my little opinions.............

LOL at "being slapped with a paternity case" like this is something that happened to him vs. something he made happen.

I have no sympathy for not having as much money while paying child support as you would if you didn't have a child. Kind of a no brainer people

Archived