Mediterranean cruise

kissmeyoufool

OK looking to go on Med Cruise would like to start in Barcelona and end in barcelona 14 days. When is a good time to go when its not to hot husband cannot stand the heat,what ship is the best chioce,it this the best time to book wiyh the 1 2 3 sale going on and what balcony rooms are the best I am sure I will have many more questions later Thanks to all the respond :)

I booked the April 30 Equinox Barcelona to Barcelona with an overnight in Venice

cruise. I sailed on the Equinox last year and loved it.

This is a great itinerary, it's spring and not hot, and its on sale....what's not to love!

OK looking to go on Med Cruise would like to start in Barcelona and end in barcelona 14 days. When is a good time to go when its not to hot husband cannot stand the heat,what ship is the best chioce,it this the best time to book wiyh the 1 2 3 sale going on and what balcony rooms are the best I am sure I will have many more questions later Thanks to all the respond :)

I recommend October or even April/May. You might encounter some rain and cooler temperatures. I've also had good weather in November. You also won't have the crush of crowds.....

As for ships, Equinox is one of the newer Solstice class ships and I really like them alot.

Constellation also roundtrips out of Barcelona. It's long been one of my favorite ships in the Celebrity fleet, but it's an older ship, turning 10 in 2013.

If you haven't been to Barcelona before, I hope you'll try and plan for some extra days there. It's one of my favorite cities in the world!

Joe

We cruised the Med last Fall (first of Nov.) on Equinox and the weather was very nice. I packed capris and lighter clothing with a few vests to add on, as well as a light jacket. It was a wonderful cruise and I really lucked out with my clothing choices. The weather was mild to coolish (depending on your tolerance) but it was really a wonderful cruise. I sorta highly recommend the early Fall to cruise the Med, but I'm hoping to plan another Med cruise soonish and don't want to deal with too many px!. Seriously, you will have an excellent cruise on Equinox to the Med--early spring/summer or fall.

OMG you guys are fast I guess I should have mentioned my husband cannot travel April or May do to work being very busy but October works very well and yes planning a few days in Barcelona

I say, just go for it! You will have a wonderful time. What's not to like about cruising, especially in Europe?!?!:D

If you can get away in late May, Celebrity has the May 29th Equinox out of Barcelona as part of their Exciting Tuesday sale starting March 26th.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

balcony $1,449; Concierge class $1,499; AQ class $1,549; Suites $1,999

These are Guarantee rates so they would not qualify for the 123 Go promotion.

Price is right El-aurens but May just cant do it and Daughter is having a baby due June 7 but the fall works perfect first grand baby and its a girl:)

Congratulations to you and your daughter, that's great news!

I was wondering where the Tuesday deals are on the Celebrity site? I have signed up for emails but am not receiving them yet. We are looking to book an Italy & Croatia cruise for 2014.

Hi, I just bookmark the link to the PDF for the Exciting Tuesday deals. Celebrity normally updates the deals on Friday for the coming Tuesday sale. However, these sales would be for cruises that are less then 90 days away. That's because the final payment date has passed and Celebrity has a firm number of the unsold cabins for each sailing. They will then reprice the cabins to sell based on the supply.

If you want to see the current specials:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/specials/promotions.do?pagename=limited_time_offers_gateway

:D Late Oct. or early Nov. are great times, as the weather is usually good, and the crowds gone (do NOT underestimate this fact ). We did a 12 day eastern Med. in Nov/2010 and it was fabulous. Sunny and about 20C almost everyday ( I am a fellow Canuck, hence the metric...). A huge bonus when you get to the Acropolis, Ephesus, or Santorini and no huge crowds....makes your experience so much better.

No matter when you go, it is a superb experience.

K

Come join us on the October 20 cruise on Equinox out of Barcelona with an overnight in Venice, looking at the histories for weather it should be cool but not cold, plus we have a good group of peoples in our CC role call! =)

THank You EL_aurens the whole family is very excited I would like to go Oct or even earily Nov THe last cruise we went on was to Alaska had a wonderful time on the Mercury

The October 8th and 20th Equinox sailings goes to the following ports. The cost of a veranda cabin is $2,137 (8th) and $1,947 (20th). Of course, prices may change.

Cruise Ports October 8th, 20th

Departing from Barcelona, Spain; Nice (Villefranche), France; Florence, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Naples, Italy; Kotor, Montenegro; Venice, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Barcelona, Spain

The November 1st sailing is $1,689 for a veranda and goes to these ports. The Eastern Med will likely have good weather at this time as HockeyKen mentioned.

Cruise Ports November 1st

Departing from Barcelona, Spain; Valletta, Malta; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Naples, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Barcelona, Spain

The average temperature in Barcelona in October is 24 degrees Celsius, with November averaging 14 degrees. So probably best to do a Pre-cruise stay in Barcelona if you sail in November.

You should be able to take advantage of the 123 Go promotion with these cruises.

Hope this helps.

I booked the April 30 Equinox Barcelona to Barcelona with an overnight in Venice cruise. I sailed on the Equinox last year and loved it. This is a great itinerary, it's spring and not hot, and its on sale....what's not to love!

YES! This is an excellent schedule with so many great ports. Loved the time in Venice. See lots more details below through my live/blog and other links. We did our cruise in early/mid June and had great weather, not that crowded. Worked super well for us. But as others have noted, there are many good timing options that can be perfect and very exciting.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 12,980 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 10,850 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 19,340 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,372 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the sail-in and/or sail-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

In front of the Accademia Art Museum in Venice, here is an artist on that wooden bridge over the Grand Canal making a painting. Lots of such great views can be experienced all over this historic city.:

VenicePainterOnGrandCanal.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

It was a big “WOW” for our first visit to Pisa. This tower is much taller than I expected. They just completed a major cleaning of it a few weeks earlier in the spring, making things perfect, except for that little foundation problem with one tower. Also impressive here are the Pisa Baptistry and Duomo (main) church. Pisa has a couple of major universities here. There is another church here that also also a learning (and shorter) tower. We drove by that site. Two leaning towers in Pisa! How many knew that?:

PisaLeaningTower.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Going in October, (near the end of the season) the temps will be much cooler and crowds much thinner. :) The weather SHOULD still be pretty good. :confused:

The best rate I could find on my preferred online site for that time frame is $1199 pp (with $125 OBC) on Celebrity Equinox, 12 night, roundtrip Barcelona, Oct 20 to Nov 1. :o

Good luck shopping and enjoy your cruise! ;)

I just booked my first Mediterranean cruise. I am looking for information about life on board and how it differs from a Caribbean cruise.

I know that my sailing is going to be very port intensive, with an overnight in Istanbul and several 7-7 days in port. I was thinking that some of those days may be dinner in the Buffet nights. I am not sure I would want to be out all day (as the trips to Rome and Florence are) and then rush back to get dressed for dinner in the MDR.

Since the ports start so early, do people end up shutting down early too? I was wondering if things were more quiet at night in the Med.

Thanks

OMG those pictures are so beautiful TLCOhio THanks for sharing

smoosh21: Life onboard? I just booked my first Mediterranean cruise. I am looking for information about life on board and how it differs from a Caribbean cruise. I know that my sailing is going to be very port intensive' date=' with an overnight in Istanbul and several 7-7 days in port. I was thinking that some of those days may be dinner in the Buffet nights. I am not sure I would want to be out all day (as the trips to Rome and Florence are) and then rush back to get dressed for dinner in the MDR. Since the ports start so early, do people end up shutting down early too? I was wondering if things were more quiet at night in the Med. Thanks [/quote']

Glad to know that kissmeyoufool has such good taste in liking the pictures I have posted. For smoosh21, yes, that port-intensity requires a little creativity and flexibility to make things work. We did do a few of our dinners in the Oceanview Cafe for certain evenings. Made things easier and more relaxed. Got our food and ate on the back deck with the sea and scenic views.

On these types of ships and with the wide variety of folks on board, some pack it in earlier. Others are going later. Wide mix of interests and styles. Having an overnight in Istanbul is super, super wonderful. Below are a few of my visuals for there to give you some ideas on the many options for that wonderful and historic city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,555 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here was our first view of Istanbul in 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest! Istanbul has so much variety, history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc. It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Istanbul’s famed Blue Mosque or Sultan Ahmed Mosque. It is popularly known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior. It was built from 1609 to 1616. It is still used as a mosque and is one of Istanbul's most popular tourist attraction. The design is the culmination of two centuries of both Ottoman mosque and Byzantine church development. It incorporates some Byzantine elements of the neighboring Hagia Sophia with traditional Islamic architecture. It is considered to be the last great mosque of the classical period. The architect aimed for overwhelming size, majesty and splendour. It has six minarets along with eight smaller domes and one main large dome.:

1A-Istanbul-BlueMosque.jpg

In 1856, Sultan Abdul Mecid I moved his court to the newly-built Dolmabahce Palace, the first European-style palace in the city. Located on the European side of the Bosporus, it served as the main administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from 1856 to 1922. Fourteen tons of gold in the form of gold leaf were used to gild the ceilings. It is the largest palace in Turkey. The world's largest Bohemian crystal chandelier is in the center hall of the palace. A gift from Queen Victoria, it has 750 lamps and weighs 4.5 tons. Dolmabahce has the largest collection of Bohemian and Baccarat crystal chandeliers in the world and one of the great staircases has bannisters of Baccarat crystal. Below the outside of this “new” Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

One of the many Istanbul outdoor dining places in the historic area. This is Albura in the heart of Akbiyik Caddesi, a mostly-pedestrian street in Sultanahmet's prime boutique hotel, restaurant and cafe district:

IstOutdoorDine.jpg

I have tried to book on Celebritys Cruise web site for the fall of 2014 I think I need that much time to save the money we need to do and see what we want to do but the wed site will not let me book that far ahead is it just me or is it to early Thanks

Archived