Oriana First Time

Dancer Bob

After a number of years sailing with Cunard, I've gotten disgusted with the poor quality of the dancing experience and the abysmal attitude of Peter ("there's no problem") Shanks and his corporate minions towards fixing it. So I'm voting with my feet.

I've heard some good things about Oriana, so I'm thinking about trying X324 this fall. Any thoughts for first time on Oriana?

We've just posted re a possible cruise on Azura next August. We have since discovered that as an adults only ship Oriana is doing a 14 day Canary Island Cruise next August as well. (another itinerary we fancy)

We don't really 'do' dancing though Bob, but love to watch ----- we just want a ship where we can escape and be quiet on sea days (in the sunshine)!

We've seen Oriana once when on OV2 (our first cruise) and she looks a lovely ship -but reviews are mixed.

Like Dancer Bob we'd appreciate any help / views re this ship for a couple mid August ! Thanks :D:)

(Am having so much fun researching ready for our next cruise that I don't really want to book anything yet !) ;)

I`m also trying to find out more about " life onboard " Oriana

I`m due to sail onboard her in August / September 2014 to "Russia, Estonia & Scandanavia" on X419

Have previously sailed with P&O Cruises on Arcadia, Ventura and 3x on Azura

I have always enjoyed cruising on Oriana but have not been on since the refit into adult only. It is large and spacious and with 1800 passengers on a ship size that other ships would carry over 2000 on you can feel how uncrowded it is when onboard. The interior rooms are all well laid out and more traditional cruise feel.

I`m also trying to find out more about " life onboard " Oriana

I`m due to sail onboard her in August / September 2014 to "Russia, Estonia & Scandanavia" on X419

Have previously sailed with P&O Cruises on Arcadia, Ventura and 3x on Azura

Oriana is a lovely cruise ship, we are on her for the third time in May. She's very comfortable and spacious, has a magnificent stern with tiered decks going down to the aft deck and pool. Lovely bars, lounges and theatre.

Not many balcony cabins available but that doesn't worry us as we tend to use the public decks in preference to private cabin balconies. There's also a cinema which we have never used.

It's a classy vessel :)

If you like dancing then Harlequins on Oriana is the place for you. I don't "dance" as such but enjoy watching those who do in Harlequins. You will enjoy the experience.

I though Harlequins was a bar and nightclub? Maybe not the sort of dancing the OP was interested in;)

I though Harlequins was a bar and nightclub? Maybe not the sort of dancing the OP was interested in;)

After 11pm it may be but during the evening it concentrates on ballroom dancing, and during the day has instruction so they can demonstrate their skills in the evening.

We are sailing on her for the 1st time in just under 4 weeks. She is my parents' favourite ship & one of the reasons we've picked her is that we are learning ballroom dancing & she is supposed to be the best of the P&O ships for dancing. I'll let you know!

The first time we were on there we were lucky enough to experience the resident band "Natural High", all the dancers enjoyed their strict tempo but I just enjoyed their music and Kate, the singer.

I believe one or two of that band are still on Oriana.

Ahh! My favourite P&O ship. A nice traditional mid-sized ship with great public rooms. Andersons and the Crows Nest are beautiful bars, one with panoramic forward views, the other much like a traditionnal London club. Harlequins has a superb dance floor and there are lessons twice every sea day. With a theatre and a show lounge, there is usually something decent every evening, although whether you enjoy it depends on your taste. There is also a dedicated cinema - rare on today's ships.

I have lots of photos here if you are interested

Ahh! My favourite P&O ship. A nice traditional mid-sized ship with great public rooms. Andersons and the Crows Nest are beautiful bars, one with panoramic forward views, the other much like a traditionnal London club. Harlequins has a superb dance floor and there are lessons twice every sea day. With a theatre and a show lounge, there is usually something decent every evening, although whether you enjoy it depends on your taste. There is also a dedicated cinema - rare on today's ships.

I have lots of photos here if you are interested

Hi Sharon,

My husband and I are going on the Oriana this Thursday for the first time and looking at your photo's have certainly got us very excited so thank you for posting them.

regards

Lynn

Hi Sharon,

My husband and I are going on the Oriana this Thursday for the first time and looking at your photo's have certainly got us very excited so thank you for posting them.

regards

Lynn

We will be on the same cruise. It will be our sixth time on Oriana so ask away if you have any questions

Brian

We will be on the same cruise. It will be our sixth time on Oriana so ask away if you have any questions

Brian

I do have one question Brian, we were originally going to take the coach down but my husband would like to take photos of the Oriana sailing into Southampton, I cant find any information as to what time she will arrive.

I hope the weather is kind to us.

have a lovely time.

Lynn

Lynn,

According to Southampton VTS it will be 7am.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Planned_Movements/

This will be the time when she will be tied up and gangways down.

To see the ship sail in you need to be there no later than 0630.

If you go to Ocean Terminal, I believe you can walk past the terminal on the west side to the end of the jetty where you will get a good view.

Brian

Lynn,

According to Southampton VTS it will be 7am.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Planned_Movements/

This will be the time when she will be tied up and gangways down.

To see the ship sail in you need to be there no later than 0630.

If you go to Ocean Terminal, I believe you can walk past the terminal on the west side to the end of the jetty where you will get a good view.

Brian

Thank you!

Lynn

P&O still hasn't taken my money! It turns out they only have one North American agent, in Austin TX. That's not very good, and not just because of knee-jerk Canadian nationalism. My agent is signing up with them- they have to jump through hoops even though they've been around since 1948 and do a lot of business with Carnival brands. So I don't expect to see many North Americans on board.

On to the mundane. I'll be finishing a European tour and will have a suitcase full of laundry. Does Oriana have self-serve machines? Or is there somewhere convenient in Soton? Except for my tuxedo, I don't pack anything that's not washable.

Sharon- do you have any pictures of Harlequin dance floor?

It used to be when Oriana was first introduced. It was described as a nightclub disco and featured contemporary music and dancing all evening, sometimes with a live group, sometimes with a DJ. Such ballroom dancing as there was took place in the Pacific Lounge. In recent years however Harlequins has been described as a showlounge and features only ballroom dancing, leaving those with more contemporary tastes nowhere to dance.

It used to be when Oriana was first introduced. It was described as a nightclub disco and featured contemporary music and dancing all evening, sometimes with a live group, sometimes with a DJ. Such ballroom dancing as there was took place in the Pacific Lounge. In recent years however Harlequins has been described as a showlounge and features only ballroom dancing, leaving those with more contemporary tastes nowhere to dance.

That's not strictly true, I've seen the dj in there late at night after the ballroom dancers have finished.

That's not strictly true, I've seen the DJ in there late at night after the ballroom dancers have finished.

Agree with this ... we've done countless cruises on Oriana including many world-cruise sections and there has always been ballroom and latin dancing in Harlequins until around 11pm and then there is recorded music for anyone who loves disco. For UK ballroom dancers it is one of the best ships for strict-tempo dancing.

The resident dance-band Natural High was a great attraction for dancers and, as someone mentioned, I'm sure they still play on Oriana although with some changed personnel.

The photo was taken on one of my many day visits - hence no pax or band! As others have said, ballroom dancing is pr-dinner or around 8.30 - 11.30. Then disco takes over, but there is also a small dance floor in the Crows Nest for disco as well.

Archived