Theme nights on Cunard

Courier95

On a sea day, they may organize making masks or hats for some ball. A very small number actually bring a costume, but they do add something to the festive air of those ball evenings. I sure can't add one more thing to the suitcase that would be a costume.

The theme is just for a ball in the Queens Room. The only theme that gets much attention is the Black and White Ball because it's so easy. Men in their tuxes are already in black and white, and most women have a black or white evening dress or cocktail dress--or one that is black and white. But as long as you're dressed for formal night, nobody will kick you out of any of the public rooms for not being dressed according to the theme.

There is an Australia Ball. I don't think anyone 'dressed' for that. Maybe green and gold which somehow became our sporting colours. But I have the wrong complexion for both! Surprisingly it was held on a semi formal night. Actually, maybe that makes sense.

Thank you all for your comments. Glad to know its not necessary to source (or pack) any more outfits!

The "Bucaneer" ball on our last voyage was amusing. We had one guy dressed as a pirate(many were), but he had a "stuffed" Parrot on his shoulder. I presume he had packed it in his luggage.

The "Bucaneer" ball on our last voyage was amusing. We had one guy dressed as a pirate(many were), but he had a "stuffed" Parrot on his shoulder. I presume he had packed it in his luggage.

Hi Keith. I remember one Caribbean voyage a few years ago on QM2 where several passengers got into the act...nice seeing their get-ups, and their fun was contagious. Silly really, but it did make me laugh. Good times, nice memories :)

We are new to Cunard and our forthcming cruise has several themed nights. Do most people participate in these or is the appropriate dress code for the night (formal/informal) acceptable?

Just to say I've never seen anyone dress for the theme balls apart from some ladies in Victorian dresses last year on the QV which of course would also be suitable for dining in.

I'm surprised that anyone would have the time or inclination to go back to their room and get changed again having already donned their formal attire for the evening meal. In my experience, it's just the Queens Room that carries the theme with different banners/pennants etc.

Edited by Ray66

Apparently, the introduction of the new 'relaxed' dress code has inspired Cunard to come up with some new theme nights. One the new themes is 'The Circus' and it's already got the green light from the marketing department.

They're anticipating that the new guests (the ones attracted by the new dress code) would enjoy fun and non-stuffy portraits like this.

i-ftwqkVR-L.jpg

Edited by Whitemarsh

Hi Keith. I remember one Caribbean voyage a few years ago on QM2 where several passengers got into the act...nice seeing their get-ups, and their fun was contagious. Silly really, but it did make me laugh. Good times, nice memories :)

We bought our masks shoreside some years back. They were really quite nice, and we had some inquires.."gee we didn't see any masks like that for sale".

Just to say I've never seen anyone dress for the theme balls apart from some ladies in Victorian dresses last year on the QV which of course would also be suitable for dining in.

I'm surprised that anyone would have the time or inclination to go back to their room and get changed again having already donned their formal attire for the evening meal. In my experience, it's just the Queens Room that carries the theme with different banners/pennants etc.

Hi Ray. Not all Themed nights were are on Formal nights, some were on Semi Formal nights. And now many are on Informal nights. Might not be too much of a costume change from dinner to the Ball? Could be a good thing:confused:

To me this is what a cruise is all about, having fun and enjoying ourselves plus MOST important.... making new friends.

I bought my wife a cool mask on a business trip to New Orleans, we packed it carefully - feathers and all, and went down to the masked ball and were too late for the judging. . . She was very disappointed ! !

IF you want to participate in these events - word of suggestion - select the early seating for dinner - or you will miss many of the themed events in the Queens room.

Apparently, the introduction of the new 'relaxed' dress code has inspired Cunard to come up with some new theme nights. One the new themes is 'The Circus' and it's already got the green light from the marketing department.

They're anticipating that the new guests (the ones attracted by the new dress code) would enjoy fun and non-stuffy portraits like this.

i-ftwqkVR-L.jpg

Your comments are always so clever---I look for them on each thread!

Ricki

On our last cruise there was a couple who must have spent an absolute age preparing all their different costumes for the various balls. They looked amazing, but they must have taken an extra 2 cases each, on top of their usual cases, to fit everything in. We are talking full Elizabethan costumes here, just as an example. To be honest, very few people bothered apart from them, and I certainly don't need the extra hassle of even more wardrobe planning prior to a cruise!

For those that have to fly to a port to join the ship I can fully understand why they cannot take as much clothing as they would like but for those of us fortunate enough to not have this worry, then who cares if we take an extra suitcase or two :eek::)

Fancy dress to me is all about having a laugh and enjoying the evening. I will not be wasting money on expensive clothing as this is 'fancy dress'

How about a nice cowboy- western night- were I can show off my newest very pointed cowboyboots- but I suppose that´s not up to Cunard ´s Standart´s ! LOL!
Why can't you wear your boots whenever you feel the need? Shorts and cowboy boots might not look right but guess who will possibly be wearing 'Mickey Mouse' socks with my tuxedo?

I think spurs might be a bit OTT but your boots might look very smart.

I suppose with a black tuxedo we might wear

44446232ut_11_a.jpg

Or these good old army boots

$(KGrHqR,!j!E5eE8wQ6tBOf1SspN5g~~60_12.JPG

If we were to wear this type of footwear then I doubt we would get many dance partners that would fancy getting 'close up and personal'

How about a nice cowboy- western night- were I can show off my newest very pointed cowboyboots- but I suppose that´s not up to Cunard ´s Standart´s ! LOL!

you can wear your cowboy boots or your german boots, whatever footwear you care to wear (except sandals for men or flip flops in any venue other than Kings Court). Cunard Standards ? rofl

Edited by Salacia

I was assuming that on these themed nights passengers might dress and then go for their evening meal before attending the function?

Is it just a case of those wanting to dance that dress up?

I was assuming that on these themed nights passengers might dress and then go for their evening meal before attending the function?

Is it just a case of those wanting to dance that dress up?

It wouldn't be appropriate to wear fancy dress in the restaurants. And as I've said before, I've never seen anyone in fancy dress for these balls - just ladies in Victorian dress for the Victoriana Ball on the QV and people wearing masks for the Masquerade Ball. From what I've read, it may be mainly on Caribbean cruises that people might wear full fancy dress.

For a Buccaneer Ball I saw on the QM2, members of the band wore eye patches and some children were playing with plastic cutlasses and that was it.