Single Cruiser

oneboysmom

Hi, I"m looking at booking a cruise for next year, but no one seems to want to go with me.:confused: Has anyone ever booked a cruise as a "single" person. IF so, do you have to pay double occupancy or is there a singles rate? Have you "partnered" up with someone from say, this site to split the cost? Any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Unsure of cruise line, probably carnival as that is the itinerary i'm liking right now.

From what I understand as a single you pay 1 1/2 passenger fare as a single to book a cabin. However if you sail NCL on the Epic and soon the new Breakaway they have solo cabins and the price is great. I am sure people have hooked up here to share a cabin but sounds risky to me.

Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I have never booked a single room but RCI's policy is that you typically pay 200% of the single rate (unless noted differently as less when booking) with a one person charge for taxes and port charges. No "blind sharing" of rooms required. Stateroom rates are based on double occupancy for the total charge and if you pay that total room charge (or whatever rate RCI quotes for singles) then the room is yours.

I have heard of other lines that offer single rates but believe that is based on certain categories or limited availability of staterooms. The RCI rates are throughout all categories (perhaps excluding multi room / high capacity suites).

Cruise solo regularly. The single supplement can range from 125% ( very rare) to 200% ( more common) the double occupancy rate. It all depends on supply and demand . You really have to search through each cruise lines website and do a dummy booking to shop for a cost effective single rate that fits your budget.

OP please note : on CC Forums single cruiser generally means someone who is not married or otherwise in a relationship. Solo Cruiser is generally used to denote someone traveling without a cabinmate.

Tips:

• RCCL - watch for the Tuesday sales as sometime you can snag a cruise at a 150% single supplement rate.
  • NCL's Epic has Studio Cabins that do not have a single supplement charge.
  • For all cruise lines I find that the period after Thanksgiving right up to the week before Christmas often is a good time to get a deal on single rates.
  • Also January is a good time to check for reduced single supplements.
  • However if you are looking for a Caribbean Cruise during spring break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years or from May to September expect to pay a single rate of 200% as this is peak time.
  • Also suggest you check out the CC Solo Forum as individuals often post when they have found a good Solo Rate here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Hi, I"m looking at booking a cruise for next year, but no one seems to want to go with me.:confused: Has anyone ever booked a cruise as a "single" person. IF so, do you have to pay double occupancy or is there a singles rate? Have you "partnered" up with someone from say, this site to split the cost? Any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Unsure of cruise line, probably carnival as that is the itinerary i'm liking right now.

I've cruised solo on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. The cruise rate I paid was for 2 passengers. The taxes/fees rate was for just me. I compare it to a hotel room, you pay the same whether there are 1 or 2 guests.

Yes, the Epic has 'Studio' cabins for solo cruisers, I've priced them and they've always been considerably more than just paying double on Carnival. Also the studio rooms are 100 sq. ft. that's 10 x 10, no thanks! Not when you can pay less for a regular room (185 sq. ft) on Carnival. Price the porthole rooms in the front of the ship, they are category 1A, they sleep 2 but cost less than a regular interior room.

I wouldn't consider sharing the room with a stranger, but that's just me. Maybe it's my age, but I would only put up with a loved ones annoying habits on vacation, never a strangers. And I cruise alone because I want to be on my own. I have an image of someone that would bunk with a stranger as not being confident enough to go it alone and therefore clingy. :eek:

There is always a single supplement, unless you go with the wayyyyy tiny NCL solo cabins. Sorry, but I would hate being in such a tiny cabin with no window or anything else. Most mass market lines will charge 200% unless you get lucky and get one for 175%, but those are rare. I've done at least 35 solo cruises and I paid a lower SS on Crystal, but that's the only time I paid less than 200%.

You cannot advertise for sailing companions on this site. But I know I would never want to share a cabin with a stranger. Can't see spending so much only to discover you've got the roommate from hell.

Even with the NCL solo cabins you are paying more than the per person rate when two share an interior cabin.

There are some sites (not CC) where you can advertise for a cabinmate.

I believe HAL still has a matching service but if they can't find someone to share with you, you still have to pay the single supplement.

Most of the high-end cruise lines have the lowest single supplements.

You can sometimes get last minute deals with very low single supplements.

Here is the CC solo board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

I always travel alone. My fare is "generally" about 150% (or so) of the base fare. I would never consider rooming with a stranger. As I've said on other threads along this line, booking a cruise with a stranger is like going on a blind date that lasts a week - or whatever the length of the cruise.

When I was a young teenager, my mother fixed me up for a blind date with the daughter of a co-worker of hers. It was so bad!:eek: my mother even apologized to me over it and said she'd never do it again; and she didn't. A cruise would be just as bad!!!:confused:

I have done several cruises on Princess as a solo cruiser. My fares range for 150-175% of the amount a cabin would cost with 2 persons in it. Part of that depends on whether I catch a really good fare sale.

Before I got married in 2008, I cruised solo many times - generally booking last minute: less than a week in advance. I usually paid 125%-150%. -- but based on last minute reduced fares. Of course, shortly after 9/11/2001 there were many until led ships, so such bargains may be harder to come by now. Still, if your timing can be flexible, and particularly if you live near a port, it is worth checking things out.

I have done several cruises on Princess as a solo cruiser. My fares range for 150-175% of the amount a cabin would cost with 2 persons in it. Part of that depends on whether I catch a really good fare sale.

Just a footnote to this. On Princess if you cruise solo you receive two credits rather than just one toward their loyalty program.

Wow, thanks for all the tips!!! So, no roommate needed!! I just like the idea of going solo, make up my own time and do what I want. I will just continue to watch all the deals and see what I can come up with. Its not just the cruise line itself, its the itinerary thats important to me.

Archived