Anchorage Tour

tdtanc

This isn't really a guided tour town. It could be better depending on your interests for you to select what you would like to see and do. http://www.anchorage.net

there also a trolley, that stops at various stops, probably the better option for what you may be looking for? http://www.alaskatrolley.com/

I agree with BQ that the trolley wil give you a good overview. You pick it up at the visitor center. When we were there there was no problem getting tickets for the time you want.

We had a rental car while in Anchorage. We decided againt the trolley becuase we had gone to almost all of the places they were going to stop.

Here are some place to go if you rent a car: We got our car at the airport because it was the cheapest location if we wanted to leave it at the airport when we flew out.

1. Rather than getting back on the highway to return to downtown we turned left and took Northern Lights BLVD. There are 2 parks on this road. [beside the airport] Earhtquake park and I think the other is called Airport park. Earthquake park has a walking trail and interesting signage regarding the earthquake. There is nothing dramatic to see there. I am a history buff so I thought this was pretty cool. The other park has a great view of the Anchorage skyline.

2. We drove to the Anderson House [first house in Anchorage] and found a parking spot by the park. You can access the Tony knowles trail her, see the Cooke inlet and visit the house. [it was closed when we were there] I think admission was $15 pp. There is also a small grassy park with playground equipment. It is a good spot for kids to run off some energy. The views are great.

3. We drove to the Ulu factory on Ship Creek, They have a parking lot. We bought a few things and wandered around the Creek area. Also nice views.

4. Next we drove back to our hotel to park and then walk around the downton area to see the other sights. It is too hard to find parking in downtown Anchorage.

5. We ate at Humpy's restuarant--it is a fun place. It is around 6th Ave. I had Salmon fish and chips. They were great.

I am sure others will add to this list.

We used our car to drive to Alyeska and the Matanuska glacier. I was well worht the price. [$90 for 2 days for a minivan]

Earthquake park has a walking trail and interesting signage regarding the earthquake. There is nothing dramatic to see there. I am a history buff so I thought this was pretty cool. The other park has a great view of the Anchorage skyline.

2. We drove to the Anderson House [first house in Anchorage] and found a parking spot by the park. You can access the Tony knowles trail her, see the Cooke inlet and visit the house. [it was closed when we were there] I think admission was $15 pp. There is also a small grassy park with playground equipment. It is a good spot for kids to run off some energy. The views are great.

QUOTE]

Earthquake Park is ON the Coastal trail and also with a clear expansive view of the Cooke Inlet. Bike rentals are available downtown, runs to Kincaid Park, where moose are common to see- keep pedaling!!!!

I don’t know anything about these folks but they do offer city tours and appear to get good reviews on TripAdvisor. A bike rental for a ride along the Coastal Trail is a fantastic option if the weather is good.

http://www.salmonberrytours.com/summer/2-hr-scenic-city-tour/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60880-d1997222-Reviews-Salmon_Berry_Tours_Private_Day_Tours-Anchorage_Alaska.html

Earthquake park has a walking trail and interesting signage regarding the earthquake. There is nothing dramatic to see there. I am a history buff so I thought this was pretty cool. The other park has a great view of the Anchorage skyline.

QUOTE]

Earthquake Park is ON the Coastal trail and also with a clear expansive view of the Cooke Inlet. Bike rentals are available downtown, runs to Kincaid Park, where moose are common to see- keep pedaling!!!!

Yes BQ --I know the Tony Knowles trail goes through the Earthqake Park, too.

OP--the trail runs from the downtown to past the airport along the waterfront. It has nice views. You can get on in several spots. We got on by the Anderson House. We also walked part of the trail in Earthquake Park. It leaves the actual waters edge in the park and goes through thick trees. They were tall and fully leafed out when we were there in September.

Look up Earthquake Park on Google Earth and you can see the area. It will show you several parking areas to access the trail or see the inlet.

Archived