Alaska: Should I upgrade to an aft balcony?

klo28910

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise with an extended balcony, mid ship. I just checked and it would be $400 to move to an aft balcony. I'm wondering if it is worth it, or if we should just stay put. We've always been mid ship, so I'm worried about motion sickness at the rear...plus it does seem further from everything.

We had an aft balcony on the Carnival Miracle. I have to say, it really made our cruise. Not only could we see both sides when we were going through the Fjords, but here always seemed to be dolphins swimming in our wake behind the ship.

In addition, it is not windy at all at the back of the ship so when you get up into the colder areas near the glaciers it just isn't as cold as being up top on deck or having one of the side rooms.

We plan on going on another Alaskan cruise in 2014. I will definitely at least do an aft balcony but may also splurge if I can get an aft wrap around balcony.

After having done 12 cruises, I have to say it was one of the best we've done!

Yes, I would upgrade for $400. We cruised Alaska last summer and our friends had an aft suite on the Star Princess- we were in an inside a few cabins away. It was fabulous to sit out there cruising down Tracy Arm Fjord wrapped in blankets and sipping a mimosa. We had room service and just relaxed out there all morning instead of being smushed up on the deck with everyone else trying to take pictures etc.

I haven't cruised Alaska yet.

But when I do, it will be in an aft.

ditto- this way I know I was not booked on the wrong side of the ship for views-- i will be able to see both sides.

Deck 4 is completly covered-- so I would try to get that area.

the rest of the decks are opened.

you will not see everything that is available online-- calling may show you other cabins that are avaialble

We did Alaska a few yrs ago....tried to do it "on the cheap" with an inside. Granted, I was thrilled to go to Alaska, but when I go again...it will definitely be in a balcony...might even splurge for the Aft. Being up on deck...in Alaska was definitely cold and windy. So...my advice...go for the AFT

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise with an extended balcony, mid ship. I just checked and it would be $400 to move to an aft balcony. I'm wondering if it is worth it, or if we should just stay put. We've always been mid ship, so I'm worried about motion sickness at the rear...plus it does seem further from everything.

Normally I wouldn't. But for Alaska, most definitely!!!! Alaska was just amazing and had to make myself go eat sometimes because I didn't want to miss the views :)

We had aft bal on the Spirit a few yes ago. It was the highlight of our trip, esp when cruising inside Glacier Bay. The forest ranger hopped on board in the morning and narrated all day. We were on the bal all day, just leaving for a quick lunch on Lido, then back to bal. We will never forget that trip.

We had an obstructed OV for our Alaska cruise and when we book for 2014 it will definitely be in a balcony room! Aft would be preferred but just having a balcony will be great. Now, if only Carnival would get their 2014 Alaska sailings up so we could book, I would be very happy. I'm totally tempted to book with NCL again but really want to do some comparisons before committing :).

YES!

I had afts on my back-to-back Alaska cruises, and I highly recommend it. It is wonderful for watching whales, dolphins, and porpices, as well as the critters on shore and getting a last look at the glaciers, etc. It was especially good for whale watching!

You asked this question yesterday, so it already may be too late for you to switch as the aft balcony stateroom may have already been snapped up by someone else.

But I agree with the majority here, YES!! DO IT if you still can.

We had always had mid-ship balconies on our past cruises too, until our most recent cruise on the Conquest. We had our very first aft balcony and that is what I want from now on, and would ESPECIALLY want one (OR a wrap!!) for an Alaskan cruise.

Loved, loved, loved being able to see both sides of where we had been, instead of just seeing one side and completely missing anything on the other side.

Also, the balcony was big enough for the two regular chairs and table, PLUS a lounger. :)

And there is very little breeze, so would be especially nice for a possible chilly Alaksa cruise.

And, if you're bothered by neighbors who smoke, it is better on the aft balconies as the smoke goes out and away, and doesn't pass the other balconies.

It's also quieter in the back, not much foot traffic as not many people go back there unless there room is there, whereas with midship there are people always walking by.

I spent more time on our aft balcony than I ever had spent on a mid-ship balcony, just enjoying the peace and quiet, sun and blue sky, and watching the wake. :) Awesome!!

Friends and I had connecting suites on the Spirit for an AK cruise. In retrospect I wish we had aft balconies. Whales were spotted on the starboard side, we were on the port. Had I an aft it would not mattered. We have an aft for our upcoming Med cruise on the Legend. We will be able to see both sides of the ports.

dk

Yes yes yes. Best splurge ever. Take your slippers and warmest robe and watch the glaciers and wake from your balcony. We ordered Bkfst and made full use of the great perspective every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived