Alcoves/Lounge Chairs

themutis

For anyone who has rented an Alcove - are you allowed to bring over a regular deck lounge chair to the grassy area outside your alcove. DH loves sun while I prefer shade. And with four of us, it might not be convenient to pull on of the Alcove chairs out into the sun.

Thanks

For anyone who has rented an Alcove - are you allowed to bring over a regular deck lounge chair to the grassy area outside your alcove. DH loves sun while I prefer shade. And with four of us, it might not be convenient to pull on of the Alcove chairs out into the sun.

Thanks

Sorry, I have not yet used these but I have seen photos of people sunbathing on towels right next the alcoves. I would think they would not like chairs because they might damage the grass but who knows? :confused: I have a cabana rented on sea days on my upcoming cruise and we hope to put the top down (weather permitting) :D

All guesses of course but I have been researching as well. Enjoy your cruise!!

C:\Users\edcr4o-43 4p343 3 Rr\Pictures\2013-03-04 30th Anniversary Cruise

The furniture is like wicker furniture with cushions and wouldn't be moveable even if you could put it on the grass.

We had the top open and had our sun time and when we started baking we had it closed again.

Sorry, I have not yet used these but I have seen photos of people sunbathing on towels right next the alcoves. I would think they would not like chairs because they might damage the grass but who knows? :confused: I have a cabana rented on sea days on my upcoming cruise and we hope to put the top down (weather permitting) :D

All guesses of course but I have been researching as well. Enjoy your cruise!!

How do you rent a cabana in advance of the cruise? If no furniture is allowed in it, I suppose you lay a towel inside for comfort? What is meant by "put the top down"...any pictures? I've seen cabanas on other cruises around the pool..looks like a sail and has a fixed 'bed' inside. Are we talking about the same thing?

How do you rent a cabana in advance of the cruise? If no furniture is allowed in it, I suppose you lay a towel inside for comfort? What is meant by "put the top down"...any pictures? I've seen cabanas on other cruises around the pool..looks like a sail and has a fixed 'bed' inside. Are we talking about the same thing?

To rent The Alcoves you have to call Celebrity. They are actually under the specialty resturants category.

There is a cushioned lounge and 2 chairs with foot stools. They are very comfortable.

The canopy or cover folds back to give you sun or if you want shade it folds back in place.

You have an attendant that brings you a large water to start and then a fruit plate and we did get a lunch from The Porch for no charge.

We used our beverage package for her to bring us our drinks-she took the card the first drink and then just got us whatever we wanted after that. There is a phone in the Alcove directly to her so that you can ask for what you need.

We went to the Mast Grill and brought back burgers and FF as we wanted them.

We had rented 2 of them for 8 people and it worked out great. We could come and go as we pleased.

I am trying to attach some pictures but have never done it on here so it is a work in progress.

Looks like Youwash answered with some good information :) Here are some photos:

P1010333.jpg

Celebrity_Silhouette_and_Celebrity_Reflection_Alcoves.jpg

To rent The Alcoves you have to call Celebrity. They are actually under the specialty resturants category.

There is a cushioned lounge and 2 chairs with foot stools. They are very comfortable.

The canopy or cover folds back to give you sun or if you want shade it folds back in place.

You have an attendant that brings you a large water to start and then a fruit plate and we did get a lunch from The Porch for no charge.

We used our beverage package for her to bring us our drinks-she took the card the first drink and then just got us whatever we wanted after that. There is a phone in the Alcove directly to her so that you can ask for what you need.

We went to the Mast Grill and brought back burgers and FF as we wanted them.

We had rented 2 of them for 8 people and it worked out great. We could come and go as we pleased.

I am trying to attach some pictures but have never done it on here so it is a work in progress.

Thanks so much for the info...I'll go to the site and try to reserve for sea days; or do you rent for the entire duration? Pictures are great! Wonder how the weather would be in the Med in late Sept...might not be useful if it's too cool. Any thoughts?

There are 2 forms of opinion on these if you look at other threads. It seems the people that use these cabana's usually enjoy them. HOWEVER there are others who would like to see the ships dry docked and ceremoniously use a wrecking ball on these Alcoves :rolleyes: some others even have enough venom to want to scuttle the entire ship in the middle of the ocean ;). I for one will enjoy ours on sea days and let the haters hate. :cool:

Regarding facing outwards. That would be nice to have that view but imagine hundreds of people walking by on the path gawking at you like a caged animal. That would not be optimal :D

Flame away :D

I think that people will be able to gawk at you anyway. Either as the walk behind the alcoves from the otherside or if they themselves are on the lawn. I thought that anyone can go there and throw a towel down or am I mistaken?

There are 2 forms of opinion on these if you look at other threads. It seems the people that use these cabana's usually enjoy them. HOWEVER there are others who would like to see the ships dry docked and ceremoniously use a wrecking ball on these Alcoves :rolleyes: some others even have enough venom to want to scuttle the entire ship in the middle of the ocean ;). I for one will enjoy ours on sea days and let the haters hate.

Regarding facing outwards. That would be nice to have that view but imagine hundreds of people walking by on the path gawking at you like a caged animal. That would not be optimal :D

Flame away :D

Totally agree! I am very much looking forward to our 2 sea days in the Alcoves!:D:D I don't see the people that are all jammed in around the pool being too concerned about the "sea views". As far as facing outwards, I think it would be uncomfortable for the people walking by as well, having to pass in front of all the people in the Alcoves.

I think that people will be able to gawk at you anyway. Either as the walk behind the alcoves from the otherside or if they themselves are on the lawn. I thought that anyone can go there and throw a towel down or am I mistaken?

I have learned that anyone one can throw a towel down on the grass. Probably a little more awkward because you are surround by little huts. I say have no fear and kick out on the lawn.;) The more the merrier!! :D

I have learned that anyone one can throw a towel down on the grass. Probably a little more awkward because you are surround by little huts. I say have no fear and kick out on the lawn.;) The more the merrier!! :D

Is the central grass area open on ships with alcoves? The only ship I've been on with the alcoves has been the Silhouette and the central grass area was roped off the entire cruise. The two side grass areas (aft of the alcoves) were open during the day for lawn games and evening music concerts.

Just wondering if this was a one-off because of grass maintenance or is it the standard on ships with alcoves...

I have learned that anyone one can throw a towel down on the grass. Probably a little more awkward because you are surround by little huts. I say have no fear a kick out on the lawn.;) The more the merrier!! :D

Throwing a towel down on the grass might be something I'd do to read - or have a picnic or lay in the sun but I'm confused about the awkward comment. The Cabanas are on a public space - why would anyone feel awkward about being on it or walking by your cabana for that matter. I totally get that you are excited to rent one but they are not intended to provide you with privacy. ;) Nor would I gawk at people in the cabanas unless you were Brad Pitt and I don't think I'll be seeing him on Celebrity any time in the future. That person throwing down the towel - might just be staying in the Penthouse suite - I don't judge based on how you spend your money. So you are correct - the more the merrier!:D

Totally agree! I am very much looking forward to our 2 sea days in the Alcoves!:D:D I don't see the people that are all jammed in around the pool being too concerned about the "sea views". As far as facing outwards, I think it would be uncomfortable for the people walking by as well, having to pass in front of all the people in the Alcoves.

Christine, you will enjoy the Alcove,I think. We certainly did. And as you said, it's far nicer than the deck chairs all jammed together around the pools.

Throwing a towel down on the grass might be something I'd do to read - or have a picnic or lay in the sun but I'm confused about the awkward comment. The Cabanas are on a public space - why would anyone feel awkward about being on it or walking by your cabana for that matter. I totally get that you are excited to rent one but they are not intended to provide you with privacy. ;) Nor would I gawk at people in the cabanas unless you were Brad Pitt and I don't think I'll be seeing him on Celebrity any time in the future. That person throwing down the towel - might just be staying in the Penthouse suite - I don't judge based on how you spend your money. So you are correct - the more the merrier!:D

I think you may have read me wrong. It is well known that 3 of the S-class ships have an open lawns which admittedly is more open and inviting to somebody would want to lay out on a towel and even sunbathe. My comment merely stated that it might be a little more uncomfortable (Or awkward) spreading a towel out in front of a cabana that would have people sitting in audience of you in close proximity. As you can see in my comment I said please don't let that affect you from ENJOYING that PUBLIC space. (The more the merrier)

You might be mixing that comment with my other comment on why the Alcoves are faced inward away from the path. Where did you get the idea that I would care one little bit about privacy? I was the one who stated I was putting the top down. As far as I'm concerned the entire ship can come join us. We love people!! :D

The lawn area is usually open to all passengers. The only exception would be those infrequent times it is roped off for maintenance/rest. The lawn is used for lawn games such as bocce ball. There are both informal lawn games and formal ones. At the formal games the person running the games uses a microphone on a very loud PA system in the area.

I think you may have read me wrong. It is well known that 3 of the S-class ships have an open lawns which admittedly is more open and inviting to somebody would want to lay out on a towel and even sunbathe. My comment merely stated that it might be a little more uncomfortable (Or awkward) spreading a towel out in front of a cabana that would have people sitting in audience of you in close proximity. As you can see in my comment I said please don't let that affect you from ENJOYING that PUBLIC space. (The more the merrier)

You might be mixing that comment with my other comment on why the Alcoves are faced inward away from the path. Where did you get the idea that I would care one little bit about privacy? I was the one who stated I was putting the top down. As far as I'm concerned the entire ship can come join us. We love people!! :D

:D Then I mis-took your statement! Let there be grass for all!!!:cool:

Archived