Hump Balcony

We are looking at Adventure of the Seas. Are the Balconies on the "Hump" the same size as the rest on that floor? I thought I read somewhere that they are smaller. Not sure if we should book a hump balcony or one mid-ship away from the hump. What would you do?

We are "humpers" when possible. Love the hump cabins especially the mid-ship hump cabins. The old saying that once you go from inside cabin to balcony you will never go back.... well that also is true with hump cabins. Once you stay in a hump cabin the regular balcony cabin just doesn't measure up. In our experience the balcony has always been a bit larger than a regular balcony (or sure seems so anyway). Love the ones on Liberty of the Seas (mid-ship) best.

On Adventure (Explorer and Voyager, too), try to avoid deck 6 balconies, if possible. These have steel fronts that come up about thigh high topped with a steel railing. On the upper decks, the steel front only comes up about knee high and is topped with glass, so the view is broader.

We stayed on the hump in 9320 on AOS this past February. We loved the location. It can't be beat. It is a quick run-up to the pool/Windjammer and a quick run down a few flights to the front desk. It is also a perfect side to see San Juan as you depart.

The balcony itself is the same size, I believe, as other balconies, however the location is awesome. If you are deciding between the hump and aft, I have to say that is a personal decision. We've done both and liked both for different reasons. We were aft on Liberty on the 10th floor and loved the larger balcony. Didn't mind the walk as we are able-bodied and need the exercise. However, I didn't mind the regular sized balcony on our AOS cruise.

Our next AOS cruise has up furthest aft on 10, but not an "aft." Not optimum, but could not snag 9320 again. No worries. It is a quick run-up to the spa for my dh to take a steam. Glass half full. :)

Cheers,

Koohiichan

On Adventure (Explorer and Voyager, too), try to avoid deck 6 balconies, if possible. These have steel fronts that come up about thigh high topped with a steel railing. On the upper decks, the steel front only comes up about knee high and is topped with glass, so the view is broader.

When I first started planning our first cruise I asked this very question, Is the view not as good from deck 6 balconies? I was told by my TA, RCCL customer service, and several CC members that there was not a problem at all and that the view is the same as on other balcony rooms. I went ahead and booked cabin 6616 on the Explorer. Now I am a wee bit concerned again, mostly because I think RCCL may have lied to me just to get me to book. If I find that to be the case I would be major upset at them.:mad:

Bob

Humps are the same size, they simply have a better view. We love the center hump balconies! Book and enjoy. There are virtually no negatives to these rooms. They are centrally located and near the aft elevator banks.

Is that really true of all of the hump balconies? I would think the ones at the front of the hump would not be able to see backward very well, and the ones at the back of the hump would not be able to see forward very well.

When I first started planning our first cruise I asked this very question, Is the view not as good from deck 6 balconies? I was told by my TA, RCCL customer service, and several CC members that there was not a problem at all and that the view is the same as on other balcony rooms. I went ahead and booked cabin 6616 on the Explorer. Now I am a wee bit concerned again, mostly because I think RCCL may have lied to me just to get me to book. If I find that to be the case I would be major upset at them.:mad:

Bob

The "opening" is different on deck 6 compared to the other decks, and the view is NOT the same. Take a look at an exterior photo of Explorer (or Adventure or Voyager). Deck 6 is the one right above the lifeboats. You can see the that opening is smaller because the steel front comes up higher. It's not a big problem, but when you are seated or laying in bed, it's harder to see over the steel (because it'll be just under eye level) than if you are on the other decks. It's a difference of about 12 inches

Those that told you that deck 6 is the same are wrong. They might have been thinking of another ship (the others have all-glass fronts)

explorer-of-the-seas-new-york-city-united-states+1152_12982992036-tpfil02aw-2423.jpg

Bob

Nobody has lied to you. When standing at the railling the view is exactly the same. Now sitting and not being able to watch above the railing the view would be different, but I´m sure that´s not a Scenario anybody had in mind you talked to.

I can't believe I am the only one who feels that the hump balcony (center hump, that is) is less than optimal. I LOVED the location. I LOVED the view. I hated the extreme wind on the balcony when underway. There were no buffers on either side of you to block the wind...you are just out there. IF you love gale force winds it's perfect. When in port, it's perfect! I'd never book center hump again. The best would be the first cabin aft of the center...wind block and still get the view and great location! JMHO...:)

Donna,

Thanks for clarifying this for me. It is not a deal breaker, but it does lead me to not trusting RCCL as much as I may think I should. I hate being lied to.

Bob

These are not my photos; I found them on google

Deck 6

T3.JPG

Deck 7 through 10

DSC_0004-1.jpg

We booked 8338 (starboard hump) on the Liberty of the Seas Dec 2. We have previously been in 8234 and 8238 (both starboard balconies) both times on the Liberty to Cozumel. We loved having the view of Cozumel when we pulled into port. Granted both times the Jewel came in around an hour or two later, but watching us pull in and enjoying the view was amazing. This is our first hump balcony and after reading about them am looking forward to it. This cruise will be the 5 night to Labadee and Falmouth. Has anyone been in 8338? We could have had 8638 (same cabin on port side). Does anyone know when the ship pulls into both ports which way the ship usually docks? Will we have a better view from starboard or port side? I know circumstances can change, but if anyone has experience please let me know. Also for now it is scheduled to be the only ship in both ports if that makes a difference. Thanks :-)

Archived