Tipping Question How to Get US$

mutare

Hi

Our first time cruising and we aren't used to tipping. Happy to go with the onboard gratuities but not sure how to get small denomination US$ and don't think the staff will appreciate Australian $1or $2 coins or $5 notes. We can get US$ from the bank easily but doubt they'll do it in small change. Can we arrange to change US$50 etc on board?

Thanks

Marie

Thanks Anthony didn't know that.

Now just have to factor in the weight of US$100 in small notes. Himself might have to pack less! We get a day in Hobart on our cruise - looking forward to seeing your part of the world briefly.

Usually you can get smaller bills from the purser's desk sometimes now called Guest Services. Give them a $50 or even a $100 and they will give you $20's, 10's, 5's, or 1's. But ask this question on the cruise ships own page here. You didn't say what ship though.

Hi

Our first time cruising and we aren't used to tipping. Happy to go with the onboard gratuities but not sure how to get small denomination US$ and don't think the staff will appreciate Australian $1or $2 coins or $5 notes. We can get US$ from the bank easily but doubt they'll do it in small change. Can we arrange to change US$50 etc on board?

Thanks

Marie

Why don't you let the gratuities be added to your SeaPass and then you don't need any cash? If you think you want to leave a little extra to anyone you could leave them some Australian dollars.

Guest maddycat

We cruise in the Caribbean. Customs might be different when cruising in Australia. If we order room service we tip $2-$5 per order depending on how large the order is. If we get superior service (usually waiter, assistant waiter, cabin attendant) we thank them with an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise ($10-$20). If the head waiter goes out of his way to accommodate us we give him $10-$20 during the cruise, not at the end. Some people have a favorite bar tender that they tip early in the cruise and report that the bar tender then takes really good care of them for the entire cruise. We don't drink enough to do this.

OP doesn't say what cruise line but no HAL bar checks have a line where you can enter a gratuity. There is an automatic 15% added to all beverage checks but if you want to tip a bit extra, it has to be in cash.

Seeing OP is in Australia and HAL sails two ships there, I thought it appropriate to mention this.

Why don't you let the gratuities be added to your SeaPass and then you don't need any cash? If you think you want to leave a little extra to anyone you could leave them some Australian dollars.

We will use the Seapass option but got the impression it was customary to tip cash for room service and any extra (over and above) staff. I wasn't aware Australian $ would be an option. We are cruising Auckland to Sydney. Would Aus$ work for cash tips? It would certainly make things easier.

We cruise in the Caribbean. Customs might be different when cruising in Australia. If we order room service we tip $2-$5 per order depending on how large the order is. If we get superior service (usually waiter, assistant waiter, cabin attendant) we thank them with an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise ($10-$20). If the head waiter goes out of his way to accommodate us we give him $10-$20 during the cruise, not at the end. Some people have a favorite bar tender that they tip early in the cruise and report that the bar tender then takes really good care of them for the entire cruise. We don't drink enough to do this.

Very helpful thank you. Tipping is not customary here and I would hate to make a fool of myself on my first cruise by getting it wrong. I'm sure there are lots of other ways to prove we are new to all of this!

If you have the gratuities added to your account, you won't have to worry about additional tips, unless you use room service...that's really the only onboard thing that isn't included in the "suggested" tips.

We will use the Seapass option but got the impression it was customary to tip cash for room service and any extra (over and above) staff. I wasn't aware Australian $ would be an option. We are cruising Auckland to Sydney. Would Aus$ work for cash tips? It would certainly make things easier.

If you are an on an Australian itin AND the ship is staying in Australian waters then feel free to tip in Australian or USD.

Archived