Discounts in the specialty restaurants?

Tripper10

How do the discounts in the specialty restaurants work? Is it decided by availability? We are on a sold out ship on a 10 day cruise and wanted to try a specialty restaurant or two. I was thinking of buying the dinning package but really only wanted to try two specialties and not 3 or 4. Let me know what you think and your experience with getting a discounted dinner.

Thanks,

Trip

Hi - They are always discounted 20% on the first night of the cruise. We do select dining so we love to dine in Q-sine the first night. Other than that, if you're asked, during lunch at the buffet, if you're interested in making a reservation at a speciality restaurant, ask them for a discount. Never hurts. :o

Depending on which class you are in, they could be discounted even more on the first night. Specialty restaurants were 50% off the first night for those of us in Aqua Class.

I considered Aqua Class Blu "my specialty restaurant" and didn't feel the need to go to any other specialty restaurant, especially if you had to pay for it.

We are not in Aqua class and I think we decided that we will get the 3 Dinners Specialty Package. Is there a benefit to booking now, before we board, or should we wait until we get on the ship? If we book it online, I think I read that you cannot make reservations until actually on the ship (that seems stupid). What's my best course of action?

I considered Aqua Class Blu "my specialty restaurant" and didn't feel the need to go to any other specialty restaurant, especially if you had to pay for it.

We did the same thing-- we had two restaurants booked ahead of time and cancelled both of them on board because Blu was so fabulous-- and free!

On our Janauary cruise (14 nights S. Caribbean), which was a sold out cruise, we ate in all the specialty restaurants and received a discount of 50% in all of them. They had staff walking around soliciting the restaurants, so obviously they were not that busy with reservations, and when I asked about a discount they offered 20% - I told them to come back to me when they could offer me 50% - and surprisingly they all did. I would never have thought to mention 50% off, but thanks to Cruise Critic I had read that some people received a buy one/get one - so I figured I may as well try. It worked out great and the restaurants, especially Murano, were very good.

Now that I have read that the prices have recently gone up, I think a 50% discount could be quite easy to come by.

I agree with the wait for a discount plan. There is generally a booth set up outside of Oceanview buffet with a guy selling packages. Sometimes some of the waitresses wander the ship selling discounted Qsine spots.

The only restaurant that may be a problem is Murano, especially on formal night.

On our Janauary cruise (14 nights S. Caribbean), which was a sold out cruise, we ate in all the specialty restaurants and received a discount of 50% in all of them. They had staff walking around soliciting the restaurants, so obviously they were not that busy with reservations, and when I asked about a discount they offered 20% - I told them to come back to me when they could offer me 50% - and surprisingly they all did. I would never have thought to mention 50% off, but thanks to Cruise Critic I had read that some people received a buy one/get one - so I figured I may as well try. It worked out great and the restaurants, especially Murano, were very good.

Now that I have read that the prices have recently gone up, I think a 50% discount could be quite easy to come by.

We have just gotten off the 14 day, Eclipse...totally sold out! The exact same scenario happened to us. None of the restaurants were ever full.

While I enjoyed the Aqua Class Blu restaurant, I, personally, don't consider it a "speciality restaurant".

Depending on which class you are in, they could be discounted even more on the first night. Specialty restaurants were 50% off the first night for those of us in Aqua Class.

We were in AQ and Dining in Blu. We started talking to the couple next to us that were "experienced" cruisers that knew everything and bragging about their cruises, ins and out and etc. We just sat there and let them ramble on and just acted as if we were first timers.

They asked if we ate in Blu the first night and we said that we did. They then told us that they learned something. They called to make reservations for Blu on the first night and the person said why would you want to do that when you can dine in any special restuarant on the first night instead. They said that they never knew that you could do that and it is a secret that they never knew about. I said that we will have to remember that for the next time that we are in AQ, because we knew there was a discount but didn't know it was free. They then said it cost them $40. I looked at them confused and said so you got it at the reduced price of 50% off and it wasn't free. They said well if you look at it that way I guess it is. My wife and I looked at eachother and rolled our eyes and had a good laugh when we left. It always amazes me how people will brag about some freebie they received and then tell you that there was a extra charge such as the free upgrade they got that was really a upsell.

This is exactly our experience on our last two cruises - discounts were available and if you booked one you had offers on others. I think they have just out priced speciality restaurants. $90 above the MDR plus wine is a little expensive.

Archived