Alaska - Things To Do in Vancouver

JHCB

We are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver this summer. We plan to spend a couple of days in Vancouver before the cruise. Any suggestions for a family with a 6 year old to do in Vancouver?

One MUST DO is the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It's so fantastic! Check out the link below.

http://www.capbridge.com/

Plus, Stanley Park is awesome. You can rent a bike and bike through it. It's also the key spot to see the other cruise ships coming and going!

If the ship you're sailing on has a helipad, it's the BEST PLACE for sail away. You can yell to people on the bridge you go under as you're so close to them. It's CRAZY. I believe it is the Lions Gate bridge which connects to Stanley Park.

I will give you a quick listing of items to do. We spent one week of our honeymoon in Vancouver, after our first cruise. It was a south bound Alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess.

I already found the love of my life, and shortly after that I fell in love with my second love. Cruising!!!

Stanley Park.

The Aquarium in StanleyPark.

Grouse Mountain.

Granville Island.

Gas Town.

Maybe a CFL football game (if your 6 year old is into sports). They also have a soccer team too.

The might be having the fireworks competition.

Yes the suspension bridge too.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Vancouver.

I would book the 30 minute flight over to Victoria!! Love that town. We used Harbour Air and they were wonderful. We got there and took a water taxi around to Fisherman's Wharf for fish and chips at Barb's. Also did some shopping on Government Street. Stop in and get some Rogers Chocolates or visit the Jade store. We also took a carriage ride. Another trip we toured the house "Craig Darroch Castle", but it's more of a house than a castle, but still nice. We also had tea at the Fairmont Empress. We actually spent the night in Victoria at the Magnolia.

Have fun planning your trip. Wish we could do our Alaska trip all over again.

We are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver this summer. We plan to spend a couple of days in Vancouver before the cruise. Any suggestions for a family with a 6 year old to do in Vancouver?

Wanted to add that we took our 6 year old with us on the Radiance to Alaska too!! He had a great time. We took so many pictures we created 2 photo books. There are links to our photo books below. Book one starts in Seattle, Victoria and on to Alaska....then book 2 is more of Alaska. Have fun on your trip!!

For a 6 year old, The Capillano Suspension Bridge is a good idea. There is a treetop adventure there with walkways in the treetops as well as the suspension bridge.

Stanley Park is also good as there will be plenty of things to see and do.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I also recommend checking the Alaska boards for ideas in Vancouver as well as good shore excursions that would appeal to a 6 year old.

There's some great shopping in Vancouver. I only know this because I forgot to pack underwear for my Alaska cruise :eek:

They also have wonderfully expensive water taxis. I only know this because we missed the ship :eek:

I will give you a quick listing of items to do. We spent one week of our honeymoon in Vancouver, after our first cruise. It was a south bound Alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess.

I already found the love of my life, and shortly after that I fell in love with my second love. Cruising!!!

Stanley Park.

The Aquarium in StanleyPark.

Grouse Mountain.

Granville Island.

Gas Town.

Maybe a CFL football game (if your 6 year old is into sports). They also have a soccer team too.

The might be having the fireworks competition.

Yes the suspension bridge too.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Vancouver.

I would second this list, and you can hit most of them with the hop on/hop off bus. (Not Grouse Mountain or sports)

And when we took the trolley, the pass was good for 2 days, so you have the opportunity to ride for a second day and stop at the things you missed. :)

I have lived in downtown vancouver my whole life.. I would highly suggest science world or the aquarium. Capilano suspension bridge is also a good time with lots of hiking in the forest!

Second beach pool is also great and has lots of slides for kids and Stanley park in general is great for kids there is a miniature train you can ride and a splash park

Also we have football and soccer games during the summer downtown bc lions and vancouver whitecaps and the stadium is just renovated and just beautiful!

I hope this helps and enjoy vancouver if you decide to come!

Kory

Science World is great for the kids! Newly remodeled. Easy to get to by the False Creek Water Taxis or you can take the Sky Train, easy! it runs in town. Drops you across the street from Science World.

Granville Island is good for a family outing too. Like a Farmer's Market. Lots of shops there too with crafts etc.

Get there easily by the Water Taxi.

Live Entertainment and fresh made food/or buy yummy bakery items, fruit etc., you can eat outside, a great popular spot for tourists.

The Suspension Bridge is a great way to spend part of a day or on a clear day, take the Grouse Mnt. Gondola up and see the city!

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/

http://www.hellobc.com/vancouver.aspx

I agree with the suggestion of the Hop on Hop off trolley. We bought our tickets on line before we went. Therefore they were good for two days. [$35 for an adult] We used this as our transportation around the city for the whole time. [not from airport to hotel or hotel to port]

Yes we also used the hop on and off trolley pass for 2 days. A 6 year old should love it.

We also flew to Victoria for the day and went whale watching. Very nice, but a long day and costly. We would not take our son who is almost 6 on that journey yet. I think at the end of the day there would be one unhappy boy and two parents ready to strangle somebody. I have seen that look at Disney on parents faces, and that is why we are waiting to take our DS there for at least another year.

The other options are perfect that I and others have mentioned.

All of the ideas about are great, but for a truly exceptional day you should find your way over to VanDusen Botanical Gardens http://vancouver.ca/vandusen/index.htm It's an inspired garden in the heart of the city. I spend a lot of time there with my kids (ages 3, 5, 8yrs) and there's something for us all.

They have gardens of all varieties and sizes. Lush beds, with lots of blooms. Formal rose garden, a heritage farm area. Something is always in bloom. I especially enjoy the Great lawn for tumbling with the kids. It's also the perfect spot for a picnic. You can bring your own basket, but I think they also sell one out of Truffle's cafe in the new visitor's centre. They also do a lovely tea that is delicious and whether you have it inside or on the patio, the views are to die for. There's a good review in this link. -> http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2012/04/07/afternoon-tea-at-vandusen-botanical-garden/

Watremark_DSC_9565-2.jpg

I took the above photo there on Saturday with the family for their Easter Egg hunt. The place is breathtakingly beautiful. We watched the turtles basking on the rocks on Livingstone lake. Wandered through the hedge maze.... K, I *may* have gotten a little lost in the hedge maze. My eight year old *might* have had to help me find my way out. :D It's pretty fun, and just challenging enough. The mark of a good maze.

The new Visitor's Centre at the garden is also worth the stop. one of the most unique buildings you'll ever see. When you go inside, remember to look up, and take in the view! It's shape was inspired by an orchid and the whole building is green and fully sustainable. It is LEED Platinum Certified, and is now in process to receive ‘Living Building’ certification.

It's a gem of the city, and the perfect respite from a busy day.

What ever you do, enjoy your trip!

There's some great shopping in Vancouver. I only know this because I forgot to pack underwear for my Alaska cruise :eek:

They also have wonderfully expensive water taxis. I only know this because we missed the ship :eek:

Oh no! Doesn't sound like a good start to an Alaskan Cruise vacation?

All of the ideas about are great, but for a truly exceptional day you should find your way over to VanDusen Botanical Gardens http://vancouver.ca/vandusen/index.htm It's an inspired garden in the heart of the city. I spend a lot of time there with my kids (ages 3, 5, 8yrs) and there's something for us all.

They have gardens of all varieties and sizes. Lush beds, with lots of blooms. Formal rose garden, a heritage farm area. Something is always in bloom. I especially enjoy the Great lawn for tumbling with the kids. It's also the perfect spot for a picnic. You can bring your own basket, but I think they also sell one out of Truffle's cafe in the new visitor's centre. They also do a lovely tea that is delicious and whether you have it inside or on the patio, the views are to die for. There's a good review in this link. -> http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2012/04/07/afternoon-tea-at-vandusen-botanical-garden/

Watremark_DSC_9565-2.jpg

I took the above photo there on Saturday with the family for their Easter Egg hunt. The place is breathtakingly beautiful. We watched the turtles basking on the rocks on Livingstone lake. Wandered through the hedge maze.... K, I *may* have gotten a little lost in the hedge maze. My eight year old *might* have had to help me find my way out. :D It's pretty fun, and just challenging enough. The mark of a good maze.

The new Visitor's Centre at the garden is also worth the stop. one of the most unique buildings you'll ever see. When you go inside, remember to look up, and take in the view! It's shape was inspired by an orchid and the whole building is green and fully sustainable. It is LEED Platinum Certified, and is now in process to receive ‘Living Building’ certification.

It's a gem of the city, and the perfect respite from a busy day.

What ever you do, enjoy your trip!

We had snow yesterday near London, Ontario. What a way to wake up on April Fools Day.

Jealous here in SWO.

We had snow yesterday near London, Ontario. What a way to wake up on April Fools Day.

Jealous here in SWO.

Ouch! Snow, that's rough. It's been unseasonably warm here. I'll try not to rub it in. :D

Watremark_mosaic-crocus.jpg

oops! Well from here on out at least. :)

I agree with the suggestion of the Hop on Hop off trolley. We bought our tickets on line before we went. Therefore they were good for two days. [$35 for an adult] We used this as our transportation around the city for the whole time. [not from airport to hotel or hotel to port]

For half the price of the hop-on hop-off, you can buy a city transit pass, which gets you to a lot more places, and a lot more frequently.

Speaking as a grandfather of several children two of which are between the ages of 4 & 6, I would suggest that the Capilano Suspension Bridge may be a bit scary for some. All children are different, I think our 4 year would charge over the bridge however we would never get the 6 year old over. Speaking for myself growing up on Vancouver's North Shore I was probably 8 before I would cross the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge...but that's me.

You may care to focus on things like the summer programs on Grouse Mountain, the Vancouver Aquarium which my DGC love and the Telus Science Centre. Stanley Park and Granville Is. are no brainers.

There is no question in my mind that the very best way to see the sights of the city in a limited amount of time is via one of the HOHOs. Vancouver Trolley is by far the better product with its live narration but children would likely prefer something like the Big Bus and its openness.

Archived