When cruising a glacier....

sanditoes4

does the ship spin in one spot or is it a one sided drive by??

I am in the first stages of planning an Alaskan cruise and wondering if we'd be able to see/view the glacier from our balcony rather than pushing and shoving up on the deck?? I'm just thinking that we'll be spending all that money on a balcony and I'd really like to use it.

Can anyone give me some insight to this, THANK YOU!!

My experience has been that the ship turns a 180 at the last glacier. That being said, I've only been to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay for glacier viewing so others may have different experiences. Enjoy your balcony...it will be well worth the money for all of the beauty you'll see in Alaska. May the weather gods be with you. :)

In Glacier Bay there is usually enough room around the glaciers to allow the ship to spin around - we spent almost an hour in front of Marjorie Glacier last summer on the NCL Pearl - spun slowly about 4 times.

At Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) you are lucky to get even close to the face of the glacier due to ice - the ship needs to turn around as the fjord is a dead end - our two times there we were on the port side and got a long good look as that was the side that was on the outside as we turned - but then again we were off the face by about 1/2 mile.

Last summer we took the Tracy Arm Explorer tour RT from Juneau and the entire basin in front of the Glacier was full of ice but the small boat was able to poke through so we got about 1/8 mi from the actual face. The captain cut our engines and we floated around like an iceberg :D while watching the glacier calve.

I have not been to Hubbard Glacier or College Fjords glaciers.

You'll have time to go up on deck and see the view from there (and take pictures) and go back to your balcony and enjoy the view.

The balcony is also great the days you enter port towns and just sailing along the Inside Passage. It may be too cool for sitting for long, but those huge glass doors do provide a wonderful view from inside.

And some years it does get fairly warm out there if the sun shines.

The best views are from the open deck. Try to get onto the open deck as you will see quite a bit more and there are times that you need to quickly go from one side of the ship to the other side.

Keith

Also there is very little 'pushing and shoving' on the outside decks. In fact most poeple arrive late and leave early from outside glacier viewing. Some of us dress properly and spend a great deal of time outside going from place to place for views.

Others have mentioned multiple spins (4) at a glacier, but that's not what I've experienced on Princess. Our ships have pulled up to the glacier, usually port side facing, sat there for about half an hour, then spun around to the other side, and sat there another half hour. This has allowed us to stake out a good spot on the port side, wander while the ship is spinning, then settle on a new spot on the starboard side. We have not experienced any pushing and shoving.

I can only imagine that with ships that spin multiple times, you'd have to be constantly moving in order to get good views. I don't think I'd like that as much.

Thanks everyone. That helps alot. I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole Alaska trip, the excitment, the uncertainty and all the extra planning. It seems to be so much more work than (while fun work) than any of my other cruises.

Again thank you all!!

I have not been to Hubbard Glacier or College Fjords glaciers.

Hubbard is, in my opinion as someone who lives in Alaska and is married to a geologist, is one ---if not the most ---interesting glaciers in our state. It is one of the few glaciers actually advancing! The size of the face is incredible, and the calving can be spectacular! It is located at the end of a long fjord. Only one ship at a time can access the fjord, and as the ship slowly moves forward I always feel as if time has just stopped. A very zen experience, at least for me.

Hubbard is, in my opinion as someone who lives in Alaska and is married to a geologist, is one ---if not the most ---interesting glaciers in our state. It is one of the few glaciers actually advancing! The size of the face is incredible, and the calving can be spectacular! It is located at the end of a long fjord. Only one ship at a time can access the fjord, and as the ship slowly moves forward I always feel as if time has just stopped. A very zen experience, at least for me.

Ooh love this description and can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Others have mentioned multiple spins (4) at a glacier, but that's not what I've experienced on Princess. Our ships have pulled up to the glacier, usually port side facing, sat there for about half an hour, then spun around to the other side, and sat there another half hour. This has allowed us to stake out a good spot on the port side, wander while the ship is spinning, then settle on a new spot on the starboard side. We have not experienced any pushing and shoving.

I can only imagine that with ships that spin multiple times, you'd have to be constantly moving in order to get good views. I don't think I'd like that as much.

That's been our experince too (on Princess, RC, and Celebrity ships).

At the Hubbard glacier the ships tend to turn so that both sides of the ship are exposed to the glacier. In Glacier Bay some of the bays are just a little tight to make that turn. However, no matter which glacier(s) you are at the only way you are going to appreciate them fully is to be out on deck.

does the ship spin in one spot or is it a one sided drive by??

I am in the first stages of planning an Alaskan cruise and wondering if we'd be able to see/view the glacier from our balcony rather than pushing and shoving up on the deck?? I'm just thinking that we'll be spending all that money on a balcony and I'd really like to use it.

Can anyone give me some insight to this, THANK YOU!!

With your thinking, are you willing to give up over 50% of the potential views???

If so, then it doesn't matter, you will get some view from your cabin.

Thanks everyone. That helps alot. I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole Alaska trip, the excitment, the uncertainty and all the extra planning. It seems to be so much more work than (while fun work) than any of my other cruises.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I think I'm driving my hubby crazy! Every time I think I've got all our excursions booked and planned, I hear about another awesome sounding tour and make changes.

Have fun planning, and enjoy your cruise! It's going to be AWESOME!!

I'm experiencing the same thing. I think I'm driving my hubby crazy! Every time I think I've got all our excursions booked and planned, I hear about another awesome sounding tour and make changes.

Have fun planning, and enjoy your cruise! It's going to be AWESOME!!

This is why I always recommend people hold off booking tours with cancelation fees, and figure out their WHOLE plan first. Way too many jump into bookings that aren't the end choices they want, plus poorly timed excursions leave empty timeframes that could have far better used if they looked at the whole port time. This is especially true for people who have booked their cruises way ahead. They are bound to rethink what they thought they initially wanted, with the more they find out. Better overall to be conservative with putting plans together and figure them out first.

This is why I always recommend people hold off booking tours with cancelation fees, and figure out their WHOLE plan first. Way too many jump into bookings that aren't the end choices they want, plus poorly timed excursions leave empty timeframes that could have far better used if they looked at the whole port time. This is especially true for people who have booked their cruises way ahead. They are bound to rethink what they thought they initially wanted, with the more they find out. Better overall to be conservative with putting plans together and figure them out first.

I think I learned my lesson. :) but I think if there is anything else that comes up, I'm just going to have to wait until our next Alaskan cruise in 2014.

I promised myself that I'm not making anymore changes. The tours that I have booked are pretty awesome. All others will have to wait for next year. ;)

Ok... I'm officially excited now!!!:D:D

These boards are such fun...............and the information helps us all. Wish I'd have known about CC before our first (24 night) cruise a few years ago.

Alaska is one place where I won't "waste" money on a verandah because I want to be on deck, running back and forth, seeing everything. IMO you miss too much if you are always on one side of the ship AND if it's a rainy/cold cruise you might not want to be on your deck, either.........but, that's just me. I go almost annually.

Spin...............funny word...........but it caught my eye. The ship turns very, very slowly and you will have the opportunity to see a lot from your balcony if you so choose.........unless it's cloudy and rainy.

BE SURE to go to the lowest deck possible with outside access because one of the things you want to hear is the (Rice Krispie) popping sound the huge hunks floating away from the glacier make. Sometimes the ship is surrounded by these chunks. Another thing............many have sea otters, sea lions (or seals?), birds riding along on them. The sounds they make as they are slowly cracking are really fun to hear/recall.

People are moving constantly so I've never felt it was too crowded.

BEFORE your glacier day, check out the ship and know where you will want to be for the best sights and sounds.

Do NOT bring an umbrella on deck if it's misting/raining; you'll just be bashing folks.

Actually there are many people who just stand or sit inside; "all" the passengers don't go outside.

ENJOY!

BE SURE to go to the lowest deck possible with outside access because one of the things you want to hear is the (Rice Krispie) popping sound the huge hunks floating away from the glacier make. Sometimes the ship is surrounded by these chunks. Another thing............many have sea otters, sea lions (or seals?), birds riding along on them. The sounds they make as they are slowly cracking are really fun to hear/recall.

[.[/color]

ENJOY!

The only animal up near the glaciers are harbor seals. You can see sea otters- very small skittish animal- not seen by most, way ahead. You will note their feet out of the water, binoculars are necessary. Sea lions are also seen, but never too exciting in my opinion. :) These two animals are see in Glacier Bay, about the first half after entering. first 1.5 hours. There are lots of sea birds and random land animals you have to be in tune to. Another mention- binoculars are necessary. I like at least 10 power, don't leave your cabin without them. :)

Thanks for the information - at least for me, that seals the itinerary. Princess Southbound. 1st choice will be the Coral - 2014!! :D

Archived