TRIUMPH breaks free from dock in Mobile, AL

mibond007

Winds were insane along the gulf coast today. A couple of hours of sustained tropical storm force winds with hurricane force gusts in my location (coastal MS, about 60 miles from the Triumph). Very sad to hear this happened, more bad luck for a beautiful ship. I hope that the recovery of the other person in the water goes "swimmingly." Bad pun - I honestly hope it goes smoothly. Still can't get over that wind today that seemed to come out of nowhere.

Sensitive much guys? Where has anyone not on CC blamed this on Carnival? Sorry some feel they are having to constantly defend "their" cruise line. Its a company people, not your infant child being mocked on the playground. Like it or not, right or wrong, this will continue to color many people's opinion of Carnival and cruising in general.

I agree it is becoming ridiculous how Carnival is always getting press which is not positive. They really need to change the name to Circus Cruise Lines because it is starting to look like it is managed by clowns...:D

So...How exactly is this Carnival's fault?

In one report I heard the reporter said "this is one more PR problem for Carnival". I still don't understand how this is a problem for Carnival..... I think it's the shipyard's problem. Now how many more cruises are going to be cancelled because of this.

I am not familiar with ship terms and technology.

Can someone please explain in simple English what and how this happened ?

Is it just those giant ropes getting loose? Does that mean that is what keeps the ship docked at the port

and that without them, the ship would always be in motion?

What about brakes, like you have on cars and planes?

Ships do have brakes Virginia, but in this case, it would seem

that someone released the huge Parking Brake and then along came this Big Ole Wind.... :eek:

Someone reports seeing Dorothy's red slippers sailing right past, too!!

Carnival is definitely blighted.

Despite all the logic in the world re. responsibility for this

it will be perceived that Carnival's at it again!!

Good Luck, Carnival! Yew gonna need it boy! :D

Now that the beating to death of CNN for the beating to death of Carnival has been covered, how soon until the suggestion of a conspiracy theory again? Was that Wolf Blitzer seen near the docks in Mobile?

It happened.

A loss of life may be involved.

No matter who is at fault, it happened to a Carnival ship.

The story is newsworthy.

Is the Weather Channel out to get Carnival now?

I sail with Carnival again in September. And just as the suspicious death on an RCI ship deserved recent media coverage, I acknowledge that the events that have related to Carnival are newsworthy and would occur no matter what the brand of the line. All will be under close scrutiny.

For the life of me, I do not understand the intensity of defense for someone/something that is not family or friend.

It doesn't matter how the media spins this. The average, uninformed cruiser (or cruiser to be) will see this and automatically assume it's CCL's fault.

BINGO !!

You are 100% correct; I think a lot of folks cruisers in the USA who have never cruised will, when asked about cruising, say "sure, I'd love to - but NOT on Carnival."

The name and/or brand Carnival Cruise Lines is a laughingstock right now.

Who is Guy Ferry?? Rumor has it Anthony Bourdain and his bad cooking and GIANT Ego boarded the ship and his giant overblown ego knocked the ship from it's moorings .

Guy Ferry is Guy Fieri's birth name.

Who is Guy Ferry?? Rumor has it Anthony Bourdain and his bad cooking and GIANT Ego boarded the ship and his giant overblown ego knocked the ship from it's moorings .

He meant to say John Heald was on the board and the ship shifted ...

For the life of me, I do not understand the intensity of defense for someone/something that is not family or friend.

I would suggest staying away from the "Carnival Cruise Lines" specific message board then. Naturally you'll get pro/con reactions and extreme view points.

Personally I enjoy reading all the replies and what people think!

Don't you know ... Carnival controls the winds. ;)

It's not a matter of controlling the winds...it's up to whoever is responsible for the ship to secure it properly. If a storm is coming, you need to add additional lines. This is a basic part of the contract at any marina or dock.

Whether it was Carnival's responsibility or the shipyard's responsibility to tie up the ship will be looked into. But the fault is not with the winds, but whoever did not secure the ship before the storm hit.

It's not a matter of controlling the winds...it's up to whoever is responsible for the ship to secure it properly. If a storm is coming, you need to add additional lines. This is a basic part of the contract at any marina or dock.

Whether it was Carnival's responsibility or the shipyard's responsibility to tie up the ship will be looked into. But the fault is not with the winds, but whoever did not secure the ship before the storm hit.

Yes ... I know. :rolleyes:

In one report I heard the reporter said "this is one more PR problem for Carnival". I still don't understand how this is a problem for Carnival...

You can't be serious.

The reporter is right. This may not be CCL's fault, it may not be the fault of anyone but Mother Nature, but this is certainly a PR problem for CCL.

Most cruisers, or future cruisers, don't read these boards. All they know is that CCL is in the news again, and it's bad news again. If someone has died because of the guard shack blowing over, it'll be a huge nightmare for CCL because that's all people will see.........CCL, Triumph, death caused by ship breaking free. Most people won't bother to delve deep enough to discover that CCL isn't at fault.

100% correct ehlf !!

If a Carnival ship was to [God forbid] hit an iceberg and sink, the Carnival cheerleaders on this board would blame the iceberg.

Archived