Need Help - Royal Princess

DShock

My wife and I were on the waitlist for the Oct 9th saling of the Royal...Venice to FLL. WE CLEARED and are thrilled. We have to respond within 24 hours. We have an S2 (D727) corner aft (love aft staterooms - got lucky).

Here is what I need help with...I've heard that aft rooms of the Royal are tiered, meaning people in cabins/balconies above can look down on your balcony, meaning no privacy.

Does anyone know for sure? Is there some privacy on aft staterooms? Any aft photos from floatout?

My wife and I were on the waitlist for the Oct 9th saling of the Royal...Venice to FLL. WE CLEARED and are thrilled. We have to respond within 24 hours. We have an S2 (D727) corner aft (love aft staterooms - got lucky).

Here is what I need help with...I've heard that aft rooms of the Royal are tiered, meaning people in cabins/balconies above can look down on your balcony, meaning no privacy.

Does anyone know for sure? Is there some privacy on aft staterooms? Any aft photos from floatout?

The aft portion of your balcony will be 9' deep and 5' will be covered by the balcony above similar to a Grand class Caribe deck balcony. We had booked D727 on the maiden TA when it was a Cat D4 deluxe balcony before it was reconfigured into the adjoining Cat S2 suite. That cabin was our first choice. You might have a bit of wake noise, but I would say that you have one of the four best suites on the Royal :)

The aft portion of your balcony will be 9' deep and 5' will be covered by the balcony above similar to a Grand class Caribe deck balcony. We had booked D727 on the maiden TA when it was a Cat D4 deluxe balcony before it was reconfigured into the adjoining Cat S2 suite. That cabin was our first choice. You might have a bit of wake noise, but I would say that you have one of the four best suites on the Royal :)

DShock - we're in D727 in December - come back and report after your cruise!

I'm especially interested in the total size of the balcony since it wraps around the corner. I do believe that the numbers above are not correct - on the 'everything Royal' thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1766069&page=50) the size of the premium deluxe balcony next door is 81 sq feet (and I confirmed that on the deck plans since my DB and SIL will be in one of those cabins) and eyeballing the deck plans the suite balcony is easily 3 times that size. That balcony size helps explain why the Owners Suites on Dolphin are the largest on the ship (682 sq feet).

Here are a few pictures showing the aft cabins that may help...

8437064599_ff9a5c342b_b.jpg

8617664667_fb8da2ab73_o.jpg

8605388106_21e9a81e20_o.jpg

One showing the entire ship. The Dolphin Deck aft cabins are

two decks above the string of white lights you see at the back

8599955896_faa2071faf_b.jpg

Dave, we have the last balcony cabin on the port side (B732) DD Category Deluxe Balcony on the Baja Deck. Looking at your 8492 photo, do you think our cabin is the cabin just to the right of where your white line ends that is pointed to the Baja deck? (the cabin with the "black" door opening) We picked this cabin because it appears to be covered by the balcony above on the Aloha deck.

Dave, we have the last balcony cabin on the port side (B732) DD Category Deluxe Balcony on the Baja Deck. Looking at your 8492 photo, do you think our cabin is the cabin just to the right of where your white line ends that is pointed to the Baja deck? (the cabin with the "black" door opening) We picked this cabin because it appears to be covered by the balcony above on the Aloha deck.

One thing that has me confused is the exact location of the aft suites original balcony access door before they started cutting extra holes for new doors. It now appears to me that on the deck plan maybe the last doorway 'black hole' may belong to the suite, and the second to last 'black hole' would belong to the last balcony on that deck. Hopefully someone can take a look at both deck plan and pictures to confirm this or not.

With that said, here is a port aft view of Royal Princess taken prior to float out. You can see each deck is referenced by its first letter (A=Aloha, L=Lido, etc). B732 is one of the two last black holes on Baja Deck depending on if that last doorway belongs to the suite.

Note: This picture was taken before they cut out the additional corner access for the suites.

8621250886_ff5ba649f1_b.jpg

DShock - we're in D727 in December - come back and report after your cruise!

I'm especially interested in the total size of the balcony since it wraps around the corner. I do believe that the numbers above are not correct - on the 'everything Royal' thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1766069&page=50) the size of the premium deluxe balcony next door is 81 sq feet (and I confirmed that on the deck plans since my DB and SIL will be in one of those cabins) and eyeballing the deck plans the suite balcony is easily 3 times that size. That balcony size helps explain why the Owners Suites on Dolphin are the largest on the ship (682 sq feet).

Not quite certain what your issue is with the information I provided. We all agree that the Dolphin deck Cat D4 has a 81 sq ft balcony (9'x9') and the Caribe deck Cat D4 has a 45 sq ft balcony (5'x9'). Therefore the aft balconies on Dolphin deck will be 9' deep and the first 5' of the balcony will be covered by the Caribe deck balcony above. This will change as the balcony wraps toward the side. The Marina, Riviera, Baja and Dolphin deck balconies will be larger than the Aloha, Caribe and Emerald deck balconies because the aft portion of the balconies will be 4' deeper which appears to add 100 sq ft to the size of those balconies.

One thing that has me confused is the exact location of the aft suites original balcony access door before they started cutting extra holes for new doors. It now appears to me that on the deck plan maybe the last doorway 'black hole' may belong to the suite, and the second to last 'black hole' would belong to the last balcony on that deck. Hopefully someone can take a look at both deck plan and pictures to confirm this or not.

With that said, here is a port aft view of Royal Princess taken prior to float out. You can see each deck is referenced by its first letter (A=Aloha, L=Lido, etc). B732 is one of the two last black holes on Baja Deck depending on if that last doorway belongs to the suite.

Note: This picture was taken before they cut out the additional corner access for the suites.

8621250886_ff5ba649f1_b.jpg

Dave, To the best I can determine looking at the photos, they didn't cut any additional doors for the Cat S2 suites. Originally the last two "black holes" aft on the side were the two balcony access doors for the suites. They gave up the space forward and converted that to a Cat DD Deluxe Balcony such as B732 along the side. They then took over the adjacent true aft Cat D4 balcony and used that door for a second, true aft, balcony access and view. The balcony door for B732 is the next to the last "black hole" in the photo. I am almost positive because I looked at the photos and deck plans very carefully after we lost D727 to the adjacent Cat S2 suite. The suite number changed from D725 to D727 and the new Cat DD Deluxe balcony became D725. I hope this makes sense.

Dave, To the best I can determine looking at the photos, they didn't cut any additional doors for the Cat S2 suites. Originally the last two "black holes" aft on the side were the two balcony access doors for the suites. They gave up the space forward and converted that to a Cat DD Deluxe Balcony such as B732 along the side. They then took over the adjacent true aft Cat D4 balcony and used that door for a second, true aft, balcony access and view. The balcony door for B732 is the next to the last "black hole" in the photo. I am almost positive because I looked at the photos and deck plans very carefully after we lost D727 to the adjacent Cat S2 suite. The suite number changed from D725 to D727 and the new Cat DD Deluxe balcony became D725. I hope this makes sense.
Did the original S2 suite(D725) have 2 balcony doors on the side of the ship and 1 door that faced aft for a total of 3 balcony doors? If so, then now does that S2 suite have 2 balcony doors that face aft (because it took over D727 the aft D4 cabin) and 1 balcony door that faces the side for a total of 3 balcony doors?

Also, are the corners of the S2 suites, that look flat and angled on the curve of the ship, a solid wall or do you think there will be glass there?

I don't remember for sure what thread I read this on (maybe the "Everything" thread) that some of the far aft DD Deluxe Balcony cabins had a smaller balcony or would be partially uncovered because of the wrap around corner. If the S2 suites have the last balcony doors on the sides of the ship, then wouldn't it be safe to assume all of the DD Deluxe balcony cabins have a standard balcony fully covered by the balcony above?

Vickie I am following you into this cabin Dec 8. I have driven David crazy looking for good aft pics. I can't wait to see it in person.

Did the original S2 suite(D725) have 2 balcony doors on the side of the ship and 1 door that faced aft for a total of 3 balcony doors? If so, then now does that S2 suite have 2 balcony doors that face aft (because it took over D727 the aft D4 cabin) and 1 balcony door that faces the side for a total of 3 balcony doors?

Also, are the corners of the S2 suites, that look flat and angled on the curve of the ship, a solid wall or do you think there will be glass there?

I don't remember for sure what thread I read this on (maybe the "Everything" thread) that some of the far aft DD Deluxe Balcony cabins had a smaller balcony or would be partially uncovered because of the wrap around corner. If the S2 suites have the last balcony doors on the sides of the ship, then wouldn't it be safe to assume all of the DD Deluxe balcony cabins have a standard balcony fully covered by the balcony above?

It appeared that originally the S2 suite had only two balcony doors on the side and no aft doors. This was brought up in early discussions. At one point it looked like they might have started cutting doors in the angle portion but looking at recent photos there are no signs of a door there. Now the S2s appear to have one door to the side and one door aft. If there were the doors it would probably be impossible to have enough wall space on the cabin for everything that needs to be there. With the doors placed where they are and the angled wall it will be interesting to see the actual layout of the cabin. I would think even the farthest aft Cat DD would have a standard balcony. That is MHO :)

?

Maybe this dioagram (from another deck, but siumilart) will help.

Cabins_zpsc76d8db1.jpg

The cabins numbered M716 and M717 used to be the last cabins before the corner suites.

The new cabin (marked sold) aft of each of these was taken from the original corner suites.

There used to be rear balcony cabins next to M724 and M725. The space for these is now part of the corner suites and contains the balcony door that used to be in the former suite area taken over by the new cabins aft of M716 and M717.

Vickie I am following you into this cabin Dec 8. I have driven David crazy looking for good aft pics. I can't wait to see it in person.
We can only hope that someone in one of these cabins posts photos after the Inaugural in June and before either of us sail:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested to hear anything about the last balcony cabins aft. These cabins are quoted as being significantly larger than most of the other cabins eg D725 is 307 sq ft and the cabin next to it D723 is 233sq ft. I am wondering whether the balcony is extended as it is on the Grand class ships. I am booked for June 14 in an aft facing cabin but am waiting for feedback once the ship starts sailing this year.

• 4 weeks later...
I am very interested to hear anything about the last balcony cabins aft. These cabins are quoted as being significantly larger than most of the other cabins eg D725 is 307 sq ft and the cabin next to it D723 is 233sq ft. I am wondering whether the balcony is extended as it is on the Grand class ships. I am booked for June 14 in an aft facing cabin but am waiting for feedback once the ship starts sailing this year.

I have D725 for my Baltics cruise next summer. I hope you are correct, but the artist renderings indicate that D725 is no different from the adjacent deluxe balcony cabin. Looking forward to hearing tirp reports and reviews.

• 3 weeks later...
You think? ;) What will be different is that so many of the folks who post on the LIVE will actually be with me...........LIVE!

Then we 'armchair cruisers' expect to see LOTS of pictures ;) of everyone from your wonderful 'LIVE group' enjoying all the restaurants and eateries, watching the water shows, hanging out in Crooners and the Vista Lounge, chillin' in The Piazza, toasting those of us at home with Bellini's, playing Trivia in Princess Live!, and watching movies on MUTS. :D

Then we 'armchair cruisers' expect to see LOTS of pictures ;) of everyone from your wonderful 'LIVE group' enjoying all the restaurants and eateries, watching the water shows, hanging out in Crooners and the Vista Lounge, chillin' in The Piazza, toasting those of us at home with Bellini's, playing Trivia in Princess Live!, and watching movies on MUTS. :D

From me you only get chatter, and sometimes too much of that. The others will have to jump in with photos. I've never been enamoured with a camera.

Archived